Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my Pilot from a dealer that sells cars coming from leasing. this was in Oct/2017; since I bought I keep complaining about the same issues and they keep saying that the noises are because I'm not used to Honda. or other excuses are given to a woman.
today I decided to take the car to the Honda dealer to have checked, instead of taking to the dealer's service center to get the oil changed. (due the distance, inconvenience)
I got a call, saying that the car needs:
the serpentine belt, $63
a Sway Bar Link Kit (front) $285
tensioner, Belt $745
which would cost $1160 with taxes, not sure if they added labor at this quote.

my question is; how is that possible?
when I Bought it had only 22.433 miles; so in 20 months I drove 11.923 miles; about 600 miles per month, and I had taken the car to all scheduled services.
would those things be part of the extended warranty offered by Allstate Care Care (added to my car, with the total package)? or something like that?
because doesn't make any sense for me to have to spend over a thousand dollars; on a considerable new car; driven in good roads.
just would like to have some inputs on how to handle the situation.

·
Registered
636 Posts
What kind of issues are you exactly experiencing?

Fluke failures are possible, but a car w/only 34k shouldn't need a serpentine belt or sway bar links. And for $745, it seems like they are already peddling a timing belt change - not necessary until 7 yrs/105k.

Aftermarket extended warranties are usually shady but see what your Allstate one covers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car makes wired noises while being driven after 45mph. Shakes like crazy.
They had done alignment and balancing so many times.
I’m looking for my receipt but the next after purchasing I had to drop at the service center; and they replaced a bunch of things.
Honestly I don’t trust the car on turns; and highways are my nightmare... but the mechanics at the service center keep saying that Honda’s are different ( I’m used to Jeep SUV, and trucks, is their excuse because I own those)

·
Registered
853 Posts
The car makes wired noises while being driven after 45mph. Shakes like crazy.
They had done alignment and balancing so many times.
I’m looking for my receipt but the next after purchasing I had to drop at the service center; and they replaced a bunch of things.
Honestly I don’t trust the car on turns; and highways are my nightmare... but the mechanics at the service center keep saying that Honda’s are different ( I’m used to Jeep SUV, and trucks, is their excuse because I own those)
Okay so the serpentine belt would make a loud pitched squealing when running or first started. The tensioner would make a intermittent “rattle” from the belt area when running.

For the shake, what kind of tires are on there? Honda’s need quality tires with a nice stiff sidewall. The only way I had a smooth, non vibration and confident ride was with Michelins. I had a set of brand new Firestone’s that vibrated like crazy though the seat and dash. Have a road force balance done, or if the tires are no-name brand tires, I’d say ditch them for a true, quality SUV touring tire.

Regarding sway bar links, if the vehicle ever hit a curb at a good speed, it may need them, not unheard of. But vibration is not an issue with sway bar links, normally a clunk when turning or hitting a bump.

Reactions: flsmart

·
Registered
636 Posts
Yes, Golftango has a good point about tires. A lot of used car dealers slap on cheap Chinese tires during selling time. Sure, they're "new" but they often ride like crap from the jump.

You're likely also feeling VCM kick on/off. Some people notice the vibrations more than others. Check out the mega-thread on the first page about this.

Ask friends & family to recommend a good indy mechanic. Your dealer sounds terrible.

·
Registered
602 Posts
You likely do not need a belt and tensioner. The hydraulic tensioners on Hondas often show signs of leaking fluid, so the dealer will always recommend replacement of the tensioner, and since you remove the belt to replace the tensioner, you always just throw a new belt on. So they arent wrong, the maintenance likely isnt critical and has nothing to do with shaking. That said - I thought the 2015's used a alternator bracket tensioner that wasnt hydraulic. Either way - the labor is too high. It is a $160 part (aftermarket) and $260 (OEM).

Sway bar links (and sway bar rubber bushings) would be a good idea to swap out if yours has a handling issue.... these are very inexpensive parts and relatively simple to swap. The sway bar links are $35 to $60 for the front set (aftermarket) and $40 (OEM). It is about an hour labor to swap these out.

Charging $63 for the belt is robbery. It is $38 (OEM) or $18 (Bando on Amazon) and there should be no labor cost since that is covered in the tensioner replacement.

I'd hope they carefully inspected the compliance bushings as well, although I do not believe the warranty extension covers the 2015 and later.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You likely do not need a belt and tensioner. The hydraulic tensioners on Hondas often show signs of leaking fluid, so the dealer will always recommend replacement of the tensioner, and since you remove the belt to replace the tensioner, you always just throw a new belt on. So they arent wrong, the maintenance likely isnt critical and has nothing to do with shaking. That said - I thought the 2015's used a alternator bracket tensioner that wasnt hydraulic. Either way - the labor is too high. It is a $160 part (aftermarket) and $260 (OEM).
The tensioner's bearings are likely to fail way before the hydraulic component. The basic rule of thumb is to replace it when you do the t-belt service @ 105K. However the bearings can go out prior to this depending on location (hot and humid, etc.) This is where the intermittent rattle /chatter would be heard.

FYI, the OE Drive Belt Tensioner by Continental 49461 is only $137 on Rockauto

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought my Pilot from a dealer that sells cars coming from leasing. this was in Oct/2017; since I bought I keep complaining about the same issues and they keep saying that the noises are because I'm not used to Honda. or other excuses are given to a woman.
today I decided to take the car to the Honda dealer to have checked, instead of taking to the dealer's service center to get the oil changed. (due the distance, inconvenience)
I got a call, saying that the car needs:
the serpentine belt, $63
a Sway Bar Link Kit (front) $285
tensioner, Belt $745
which would cost $1160 with taxes, not sure if they added labor at this quote.

my question is; how is that possible?
when I Bought it had only 22.433 miles; so in 20 months I drove 11.923 miles; about 600 miles per month, and I had taken the car to all scheduled services.
would those things be part of the extended warranty offered by Allstate Care Care (added to my car, with the total package)? or something like that?
because doesn't make any sense for me to have to spend over a thousand dollars; on a considerable new car; driven in good roads.
just would like to have some inputs on how to handle the situation.
Mine was making a weird knocking noise while driving at low speeds, cornering, hitting bumps, etc. Turned out to be a broken sway bar link. A friend of mine replaced it so I avoided the labor costs. The sway bar was $50 at Auto Zone. I’d start with the small things first and definitely go somewhere like Firestone for another opinion. Research YouTube video as and other forums for advice. Sometimes, it’s just a simple fix.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts