Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but have always really liked Honda Pilots, I am posting because I have found a really good deal on a 2015 Pilot with low miles but it has a rebuilt title. I was wondering if anyone has owned any pilots with a rebuilt title and how did the rebuilt title affect things like insurance and maintenance. I was also wondering about the infamous VCM issue, and even though I have done extensive reading I am not sure if this pilot which based on the VIN number was manufactured in 04/15 would it still have the issue even after Honda knew about it. Any responses or advice would be gladly welcomed. Thank you

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Stay away as it will rust and chew through the tires quickly. They are a money pit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum but have always really liked Honda Pilots, I am posting because I have found a really good deal on a 2015 Pilot with low miles but it has a rebuilt title. I was wondering if anyone has owned any pilots with a rebuilt title and how did the rebuilt title affect things like insurance and maintenance. I was also wondering about the infamous VCM issue, and even though I have done extensive reading I am not sure if this pilot which based on the VIN number was manufactured in 04/15 would it still have the issue even after Honda knew about it. Any responses or advice would be gladly welcomed. Thank you

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have only bought one salvage title care, a Ford T-bird, and it turned out fine for me. If you are seriously considering it, get a good mechanic to go over it, including a check of the 4 wheel alignment.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Getting a rebuilt title item it all depends. How bad was the wreck, how good was the work to repair it and how good of a price.

If you can’t answer all three of these with certainty then you shouldn’t consider it.

This is said with the assumption that you won’t be getting a warranty on anything in the future.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I personally wouldn't consider a rebuilt title car, as typically the discounts don't justify the risk of getting a car with serious inherent issues that will be difficult or impossible to solve. I let someone how is more price sensitive take that risk. That being said, there are some good deals out there as many rebuilt-title cars have had fairly minor accidents - it doesn't take much to stain the title with the rebuilt status.

I certainly would be looking for a very significant discount, I'd want the details of why the car has a rebuilt status, and I'd be very suspicious of any car coming from afar (e.g., was the car shipped in from the Gulf Coast because it was suffered flood damage at some point?). I'd also want a very thorough mechanical checkout with a mechanic of my choosing.

- Mark

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I own a salvage title 2006 Gen 1 Pilot .. at the time she was a wreck with 12 k miles on the meter .. t-bone style front end .. State of NY hates working with DYI guys who has a salvage wreck on hand . Once all the red tape and $280 later (salvage dot inspection fee pass or fail must be road worthy and repaired FIRST) not including the title and registration only after the inspection was complete ..expect to visit the DMV more than once... I got my tags 4 weeks later. ..like others here rust is the devil with these ... on a 2015 things start to fail after 80k ... i have 79k on my 2015 and i have two shocks leaking .. engine slap noise the dealership claims is "normal" see video of the helicopter sound I posted a while back. on my salvage 06 shes got 290k and the rear shocks are now leaking...eats tires like i can afford $700 for a set every 15 months or so seriously the 2015 is garbage I can't wait till I dump it once the warranty is up... avoid it like the plague if you can...

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Run..... DON'T LOOK BACK .........................

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice, my gut is telling to pass on it but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a rebuilt title, as far as I know this pilot was hit head on but based on the pics it was not that bad, my main concern was that the radiator was completely destroyed along with the hoses and according to the seller the engine did not suffer any damage, but this person is car salesman they can say anything.n I saw a few replies just bashing the 2015 model, I still want to get a pilot which model seems to be the least troublesome?. Thanks

·
Registered
645 Posts
I agree with everyone else. There're plenty of these cars out there. Not worth messing with a salvaged one.

I have a 2013 with ~65k. Runs like a champ. Only warranty work it's needed is compliance bushings (known problem) and an alignment (was off from the factory). A lot of threads here to help you make an informed decision.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Thank you everyone for your opinions and advice, my gut is telling to pass on it but I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with a rebuilt title, as far as I know this pilot was hit head on but based on the pics it was not that bad, my main concern was that the radiator was completely destroyed along with the hoses and according to the seller the engine did not suffer any damage, but this person is car salesman they can say anything.n I saw a few replies just bashing the 2015 model, I still want to get a pilot which model seems to be the least troublesome?. Thanks
Every model has it's ups and downs ..just do your research so you know what your getting into..also I forgot not all insurances will cover a salvage title make sure yours does before you buy ..

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Get the whole history. Take it to someone you trust to evaluate the repairs before buying. Alignment is the telltale of poor rebuilds, echoing Tahoefever's comments. Call your insurance agent and ask what they do on this kind of buy. A little due diligence will steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
There is a product on Amazon called Magnetic Paint Tester or Magnetic Lac Tester. It's $20 and looks like a marker pen.
Buy it and test every 4 square inches of the car. That would tell you where the damage is.

When I bought my Pilot I knew from the dealer disclosure and from Carfax that there was an $1100 rear end damage claim and the pen showed that only the hatch was fixed and repainted. There is a lot of putty in the lower left corner of the hatch. That was it. The rear fenders and window posts have the original paint. This is just an example of how you can find out what was done to the body.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts