Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a recall notice from August 2019 that covers 2013-14 Odysseys and 2013-16 Pilots with White Diamond Pearl. They are extending the paint warranty to 7 years from original date of purchase. The roof will be repainted for free.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This will be my parents' last honda for sure. '13 Touring at 60k miles with Dark Red (Idk what is the exact name of it). Paint peeling at the front of the roof.

This is the exact same issue that I have with my '07 civic in the past and it was in galaxy gray and it was peeling like nothing else, from the top down to the bottom, even the doors too. Got the paint recall done before but it started to show paint peeling again so I traded it in for different brand.

Honda is aware of this but never fixes the issues about the paint quality, therefore it is actually happening on the newer Hondas too.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
This will be my parents' last honda for sure. '13 Touring at 60k miles with Dark Red (Idk what is the exact name of it). Paint peeling at the front of the roof.

This is the exact same issue that I have with my '07 civic in the past and it was in galaxy gray and it was peeling like nothing else, from the top down to the bottom, even the doors too. Got the paint recall done before but it started to show paint peeling again so I traded it in for different brand.

Honda is aware of this but never fixes the issues about the paint quality, therefore it is actually happening on the newer Hondas too.
I've been on a lot of forums over the years, this is a common issue among all manufacturers. Paints today aren't what they used to be. Certain colors seem to have high failure rates for whatever reason, like on the Traverse forum it's the Red Jewel Tintcoat.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My wife 2015 has about a 2" section that just flaked off. from a distance I thought it was a leaf but upon close inspection a large piece of paint came iff. it is just above the windshield and before the sunroof, dead center. I see no damage from a rock or the like. Anyone else have this issue

Thanks

My guess is that the car was in an accident or had damage from a falling tree or something. The car wasn't prep'd and primed properly and got a poor paint job before you bought it. As the sun heats and expands and contracts the paint problem will get worse. You may want to try to get the information of what areas were damaged and fixed you can track down that information. The insurance companies via your vin numberor Car Fax may help if the dealer plays dumb.

·
Registered
854 Posts
My guess is that the car was in an accident or had damage from a falling tree or something. The car wasn't prep'd and primed properly and got a poor paint job before you bought it. As the sun heats and expands and contracts the paint problem will get worse. You may want to try to get the information of what areas were damaged and fixed you can track down that information. The insurance companies via your vin numberor Car Fax may help if the dealer plays dumb.
No. There is an issue with white paint as the aforementioned posts suggest.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
This is a known issue with Taffy White, Honda even extended the paint warranty on some vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is anyone else having paint cracking, peeling, and flaking off on their Pilot HOOD?? We have a 2015 Honda Pilot, got new. It has the pearlized white paint. In Feb 2020 we noticed paint had cracked, peeled, and flaked off a chunk on the ROOF, between the top of front window and the sunroof. We remembered getting an extended warranty for Pilots that had the paint warranty extended, found it, called Honda and they fixed it. NOW, a year later, we have the same thing happening to the HOOD. We called our dealer, they said its not in the extended warranty, only the roof. We called the home plant, they said the same thing, the hood is not covered in the extended warranty. We are not letting this go. It's obvious it is a paint problem from the factory and the hood is now affected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife 2015 has about a 2" section that just flaked off. from a distance I thought it was a leaf but upon close inspection a large piece of paint came iff. it is just above the windshield and before the sunroof, dead center. I see no damage from a rock or the like. Anyone else have this issue

Thanks

My 2015 same issue same exact spot...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 same issue same exact spot...
My first Pilot issue was a couple years ago, above windshield between windshield and sunroof. Honda identified the problem existed and had an extended warranty that paid for the paint job. NOW we are having the same bubble and peel of the paint, only now on the HOOD! We went thru our local dealer and corporate, they are refusing to cover this even tho it is behaving the exact same as the roof paint issue. They say they do not have enough complaints on the HOOD yet to extend the warranty on it. We are paying $1200 to get fixed and if HONDA ever gets enough complaints and covers it, they will reimburse us.....hopefully.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My first Pilot issue was a couple years ago, above windshield between windshield and sunroof. Honda identified the problem existed and had an extended warranty that paid for the paint job. NOW we are having the same bubble and peel of the paint, only now on the HOOD! We went thru our local dealer and corporate, they are refusing to cover this even tho it is behaving the exact same as the roof paint issue. They say they do not have enough complaints on the HOOD yet to extend the warranty on it. We are paying $1200 to get fixed and if HONDA ever gets enough complaints and covers it, they will reimburse us.....hopefully.
My entire hood, fenders and doors are almost like faded and the clear coat just disappeared. I noticed under the hood the tops of the fenders are peeling just like my roof did

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks

Yep, and Honda would not fix it and sent me to their body shop. Mine started in the same place very small about 2.5 years ago on my 2014 White Pilot. It spread to what you see in the pic and was continuing to flake off. I got tons of estimates and finally found a place to repair it this week for under $1k. They had to paint the entire roof and told me the entire vehicle has defective paint..which is obvious because it is dull and collects debris. They said the clear coat is coming off! Keeping fingers crossed that other areas don't start to flake. No more Hondas for me...they don't stand by their product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a recall notice from August 2019 that covers 2013-14 Odysseys and 2013-16 Pilots with White Diamond Pearl. They are extending the paint warranty to 7 years from original date of purchase. The roof will be repainted for free.
Here is my 2015 Honda Pilot white pearls

Thanks

this is my 2015 Honda Pilot just happens last month. If Honda don’t fix this the best way to punish Honda is never buy Honda car again, and tell the whole wide world about this.

81 - 92 of 92 Posts