Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you

@golftango yes I did call honda corporate they told me they can't do anything since it's out of their warranty coverage which is 3yr or 36,000miles. ? ? ?
Okay, so I think the next logical step is a class action lawsuit. The members on here, Ridgeline forums, etc, need to collaborate and get an attorney involved to get the ball rolling. Maybe contact the attorney listed here to see what your recourse is. The issue is widespread, so I can't fathom why a CAL wouldn't be appropriate.

http://files.courthousenews.com/2012/07/27/HondaCA.pdf

·
Registered
65 Posts
This makes me think about looking for some clear film to put up there proactively before mine peels off. Almost seems inevitable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another Paint Issue

Are you a regular customer at your Honda dealer for service?

While I agree with you that paint should last longer, the reality is that every car manufacturer has issues and this forum is not an accurate representation of the general population of owners and nor is it a reliable dataset for drawing conclusions about reliability. My best advice is that if you are a regular at your dealership for service, you bring the car in and ask for their help. Don't complain, slam Honda, or make threats. Just say that you have had this happen, you believe that it should not happen at this age/mileage, and that you would like to stay as a happy Honda customer but to do so you need their help. See what they do. Dealerships can advocate for good customers, and they will do so to keep the relationship. This is one of the soft factors that I tell people counsels for keeping any car in the manufacturer's service network so long as the service is reasonably good and the costs are competitive.

Fwiw, we have a 2012 Pilot in the dark cherry red. I maintain the car carefully but the paint has held up extremely well for a dark color. The issues you and others are having with the white do not appear to be typical for a Honda paint job.

Good luck with getting this resolved. Your best forum for so doing is with the people who have the ability to help you. Complaining here will accomplish little.

I agree. This is my second Pilot, first one was a 2005, and my current 2015 has been, as my previous, reliable. I am a happy Honda customer and this paint failure has me somewhat dismayed. I would understand if this was wear and tear, UV / environment impact. It is clearly a manufacture process issue. The Honda standard clearly has not been maintained with this particular paint problem. Honda should stand behind their product and do what is right. I don't care if my car has 80,000 miles and is out of warranty. The paint should stay intact for years and years. So anything less than taking care of the customer, is simply poor customer service. Is Honda willing to impact a small portion of their loyal customer base on something like this? Hope my phone call from the dealer is going to meet my expectations. This is clearly a hidden defect from day one, mileage 0.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Honda

same on my 2014 White Honda pilot Most of the paint has flaked of Honda will take no responsibility, I would join class action lawsuit

Pete

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife 2015 has about a 2" section that just flaked off. from a distance I thought it was a leaf but upon close inspection a large piece of paint came iff. it is just above the windshield and before the sunroof, dead center. I see no damage from a rock or the like. Anyone else have this issue

Thanks

My wife has the same proble on her 15 pilot. It looks the same and in the same place on the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I went through Hell with American Honda CA with my 2008 Odyssey oil consumption problem. I caught the problem back in 2016 and found out this was a huge problem for Honda's with the VCM motor. I found out early on that there was a huge class action lawsuit against Honda because so many vehicles had motors ceasing up and Honda wouldn't do anything. Then they agreed to No Fault but would repair any owner within eight years of purchase and or made repairs.

My problem was after the first test we found it was burning a quart per 4500 miles, they said it was normal and I said I have the dealer do all of the maintenance and it never ate oil before. Vehicle had 90k on it. It then started eating a quart per 1000 miles and I could only get a customer service rep to talk to at American Honda, wouldn't give me a supervisor and Honda rep wouldn't come to the dealer. The rep was foreign which made it harder with understanding. They still wouldn't cover it since it hadn't thrown a misfire code which was needed and now past the eight years. It finally gave it up leaving a restaurant close to home in a downpour. I finally got Honda to fix it per the class action but still made me pay $650.

All of this sounds just like the paint problem, Honda wants out on the cheap and doesn't ever want to admit fault. The van has performed well over the 20k since the repair but now has me thinking I don't want to buy a 2019 Pilot. I like the front seats in the Pilot as they are very comfortable like the Odyssey we have. Not sure why Honda has let quality control drop over the years, I really don't think over an eight year period a Ford, GM or other are any worse. My 1990 Accord was built like a tank.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Chevrolet had the same paint pealing issues in the 2000's with their white paint not adhering to the primer.

Our entire work fleet of Impalas had the same problems - some had 30-40% of the paint that flaked off in sheets in time.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Chevrolet had the same paint pealing issues in the 2000's with their white paint not adhering to the primer.

Our entire work fleet of Impalas had the same problems - some had 30-40% of the paint that flaked off in sheets in time.
Been there my 04 state trooper Tahoe lost all its paint in big areas on the roof and hood after a while

·
Registered
58 Posts
WTF. I literally just got out of the body shop about this same exact problem. Just bought this used and I figure the previous owner was an idiot and closed a garage door on it. They quoted me $1300 to strip the entire roof and re-paint.

2015 Pilot - Touring. White Diamond Pearl paint. 56K miles. Bought it used so who knows how long it was like this before.

On the phone with AH now. Wish me luck.

Update: What a bunch of bull#&@%. What happened to Honda? You can't trust one of the most reputable car manufacturers anymore.

I only wish I would have known this before I bought the vehicle. My last Honda for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
So I'm thinking about getting a big sheet of white vinyl wrap and just cutting out a portion to fit over the entire top section before the moonroof. There is a vinyl wrap place here in town. I'll see what they recommend and report back. I'm sure as balls not paying Honda to fix their own mistake. Let's hope they recall this, but seeing that there is 2012s on here with the same issue, I ain't holding my breath.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another Paint Issue

I agree. This is my second Pilot, first one was a 2005, and my current 2015 has been, as my previous, reliable. I am a happy Honda customer and this paint failure has me somewhat dismayed. I would understand if this was wear and tear, UV / environment impact. It is clearly a manufacture process issue. The Honda standard clearly has not been maintained with this particular paint problem. Honda should stand behind their product and do what is right. I don't care if my car has 80,000 miles and is out of warranty. The paint should stay intact for years and years. So anything less than taking care of the customer, is simply poor customer service. Is Honda willing to impact a small portion of their loyal customer base on something like this? Hope my phone call from the dealer is going to meet my expectations. This is clearly a hidden defect from day one, mileage 0.
Update to All: I'd like to convey that I have not "slammed or made threats to Honda" as RAL implies. I simply convey my dismay in a respectable manner. The decision that Honda made was considered "Goodwill" and I'm out of $400 for repairs. Although I disagreed with their decision, I accepted the offer, as I care about my Honda's appearance. To my surprise, I was refunded my $400 by the dealer. So for all of you with this issue, as RAL and others mentioned, work with your dealer to fix the issue. I'm glad that someone actually cared enough to review the situation and took care of the problem. Hopefully, as this issue with the paint becomes more apparent, the position of the dealers and Honda will be more favorable to their customers. In a world today of diminishing customer service, glad to see the right thing done.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update to All: I'd like to convey that I have not "slammed or made threats to Honda" as RAL implies. I simply convey my dismay in a respectable manner. The decision that Honda made was considered "Goodwill" and I'm out of $400 for repairs. Although I disagreed with their decision, I accepted the offer, as I care about my Honda's appearance. To my surprise, I was refunded my $400 by the dealer. So for all of you with this issue, as RAL and others mentioned, work with your dealer to fix the issue. I'm glad that someone actually cared enough to review the situation and took care of the problem. Hopefully, as this issue with the paint becomes more apparent, the position of the dealers and Honda will be more favorable to their customers. In a world today of diminishing customer service, glad to see the right thing done.
This past Saturday I received a notice from HONDA @ the paint issue. They extended the warranty to 7 years.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I’m having the same problem with my 2014 Pilot with 70k miles. Any chance Honda will fix this?
After reading the thread... Have you contacted your dealer to start the warranty and repair process? None of us is a dealer (that I know of...) and so far each case has been handled individually. It starts with you talking to your dealer.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts