Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife 2015 has about a 2" section that just flaked off. from a distance I thought it was a leaf but upon close inspection a large piece of paint came iff. it is just above the windshield and before the sunroof, dead center. I see no damage from a rock or the like. Anyone else have this issue

Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yes I've had the sam issue. It's common on the Honda Pilot. What color? The pearl white is the worst from what I've seen

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm out of my warranty and mine are minor spots. I bought touch up paint and plan to just have a friend respray the hood and roof when it gets back.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to have a dealer look at it even if it's off factory warranty. Goodwill repair might be a possibility. Paint shouldn't just flake off. Unless it's GM paint...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well mine should still be in warranty, but I have read online that Honda America has been aware of the paint issues and has not been cooperative. Of course there is probably more to the posts than that. I was hoping someone on here has worked through this issue. I will be calling Honda today for an appointment with the body shop and will keep you all informed. This is our third and probably last Pilot (wife hates the body style of the new gen) and I was hoping to keep it for a few more years. This will now depend on how Honda responds.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I haven't seen paint peeling but I have seen several second gen Pilots with rust streaks on their tailgates.
It's a poor advertisement for the product that Honda needs to pay attention to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an appointment this afternoon with my dealer. They were quick to inform me to call American Honda and report the issue as well. (will do as soon as California opens up for the day) I cannot find any info on the factory paint warranty. There is a lot on the web about Honda paint issues but nothing I can find on the 2015 pilot, or the taffeta white color

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I called American Honda and they started a case for me. They did advise my paint warranty was 3yr/36K. I told her my Pilot was 2 years old last month but had 38800 on it. She advised they make special exceptions and that the dealer would have to request it. So off to the dealer I went. They had never seen this on a Pilot. it was bare metal meaning the primer had an adhesion problem. They said they would send in a request to Honda and I should hear back in a week. They will have to repaint the entire roof. I voiced a concern for the rest of the vehicle and they agreed and said once this was approved to request Honda extend the warranty for the paint. They said it has been done in the past on a case by case basis.

On the way out I saw the General Sales Mgr out front (friend of mine). I stopped and told him my problems. He told me not to worry if Honda gave me a hard time the dealership would fix it grata. (I have purchased 4 vehicles from him and sent 4-5 other there to purchase, including another one this week) He also tempted me with a 2017 and offered decent money for mine. The wife just isn't sold on the new style. So for now I will get it fixed and then make a decision in the future.

I will post when I hear back from Honda

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
JUST IN

American Honda will cover a complete strip and repaint of the roof. My local dealer will guarantee the roof for as long as I own the vehicle. I will wait until the work is complete and then check with Honda to see if they will extend the warranty on the rest of the painted surfaces. So for now all is well.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
Please post pictures of your roof and the peeling before repairs.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Rocky may be using the phone app, which by default doesn't show the picture.

·
Administrator
16,315 Posts
It's there. Be nice to get an update

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Honda repainted the entire roof and the dealership guarantees the roof for as long as I own the vehicle. As for the rest of the vehicle Honda America has noted the file in case it occurs on other panels.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2013 pilot with 48k mi with the white pearl paint and a huge missing piece of paint above the windshield before the sunroof...this is comical how many issues I've seen now with this on this page and carcomplaints.com I called Honda Care and American Honda, nothing they will do. I'm going to call tomorrow and ask for a good will repair. If they refuse, I will see about a class action lawsuit as there many of us with this issue...so insane!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I complained on Honda's Facebook page about mine. Then told me to go to the d alert and get an estimate, $2,500 for the roof, hood and rear quarter. They agreed to pay 75%. No guarantees on the rest of the vehicle. I've never had a paint peeling issue on any of my vehicles so I'm no t pleased with Honda's response. I'm regretting not having sold this two months ago when I had a buyer for $20,000 at 100k miles.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts