Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well , I love the engine and the ergonomics in my Pilot but the rattles coming from the front areas are driving me nuts, I understand a thump and maybe rattling when going over some crazy rocky area, but if going over bumps in road etc should be just a thump of a suspension. The noises are coming from the driver's side door from what it seems to be a plastic rattling noises , I have found that if i push hard against where the door panel ends and the window begins it disappears, I have taken the door apart and found nothing loose and no screws rattling around or not tighened, along with the clips being on tight and in good condition. The other one comes where you have the garage door opener , and the sun glasses storage area, i have found that after taking it apart there are 2 black plastic grommets that slide around the screws go into found that they could be the possible cause of the rattle, the other one is i think coming from the glove box area. I have no idea how to take apart the dash without damaging the plastics. I have the dash removal tools , but i would appreciate a step by step direction if there is one available in order to take apart the whole front dash area.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
In the winter, the trim on the inside of the A pillar in my car has a tendecy to rattle. It's a winter-only thing. I added acouple small pieces or weatherstrip between that trim and the glass, and the ratlles disappeared. Try a finger or two on that trim over the bumps and see if the noise changes.

Reactions: The Todd and AVC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In the winter, the trim on the inside of the A pillar in my car has a tendecy to rattle. It's a winter-only thing. I added acouple small pieces or weatherstrip between that trim and the glass, and the ratlles disappeared. Try a finger or two on that trim over the bumps and see if the noise changes.
dr bob thanks for the reply

I have found that this rattle is an all year round thing for my pilot. I wish it would be a winter only thing. We travel quite a lot thousand miles at a time and found that this is happening in hot a$$ weather as well. I Love the car overall wouldn't trade it for the world or the new 2016 + Pilot which is a problem galore , judging from the issuers my friends are having with theirs . I wish there was a tsb or a manual in pdf somehwere where it shows what are the best ways of having the trim taken off without causing more damage than you're trying to fix .

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
The glove box area --

My long-preached guidance on rattles there is to take absolutely everything out of the glovebox and the cubby shelf above. Under the glovebox is the cabin air filter, accessible by releasing the side panels on the glovebox and letting it come further open. Pull that filter, and take a look up from there to see if there's something in the fan that's rattling. If you've had the recalls done for that airbag ignitor, maybe a nut or tool was dropped in the area too. The whole glovebox door comes off, and maybe some drive time over bumps while you look/listen.

Mine started that windshield trim rattling when cold only after the first airbag recall was performed. The second came soon enough after that I was able to ask the dealer service guy to fix whatever they had left loose the first time. He laughed. I didn't. Still no help. Finally a little creative stuffing between glass and the plastic trim has taken care of it. If it didn't, I'd replace those trim sections with new ($cheap...) and move on. I don't know how much the dash is moved back for the airbag ignitor access.

------

There's an electronic copy of the 2012 factory service manual posted here in the last year or two by user NailGrease. That manual covers through MY 2015, and is the last version published for the unwashed masses. (that's us...) Find and download that, and you'll have the best info on how things go together. Between that manual and the exploded parts views on online dealer sites, you should be able to figure out how it all comes apart and fits together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts