Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New member here and I had a question for all you Pilot owners. My wife and are about to have our 3rd child and need a SUV with 3 rows for our kids. We were interested in the Pilot, and I've read alotta horror stories about the current 2016 + Pilots. How is this generation in terms of problems/reliability, power, handling, real world mpg? Ive researched a little, but I like to hear from ACTUAL owners that have lived with them.

I've found a local seller who has a white 2015 touring with 68k miles for 20k, original owner, is this a good deal? My wife is a RN, and I'm a teacher, so money isn't a huge issue, but my wife would prefer not to have a huge new cat payment, which is why we are looking at this one.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Hello all. New member here and I had a question for all you Pilot owners. My wife and are about to have our 3rd child and need a SUV with 3 rows for our kids. We were interested in the Pilot, and I've read alotta horror stories about the current 2016 + Pilots. How is this generation in terms of problems/reliability, power, handling, real world mpg? Ive researched a little, but I like to hear from ACTUAL owners that have lived with them.

I've found a local seller who has a white 2015 touring with 68k miles for 20k, original owner, is this a good deal? My wife is a RN, and I'm a teacher, so money isn't a huge issue, but my wife would prefer not to have a huge new cat payment, which is why we are looking at this one.
It's really hard to say. Not enough information to answer your questions. Have you run the VIN# to see what Car Fax says. You can also use that vin # to check out the service record, at least the service records that Honda has from the Honda owners site including any recalls and fixes. Do you know the condition of the vehicle? A Kelly's Blue book estimate will give you what that particular vehicle in that particular condition sells for in your particular area. Kellys will also list all recalls.

Do you have a trusted mechanic. Have them examine the vehicle. My mechanic charges $45 to examine a used vehicle. That way you will have an idea of any issues or soon to be issues with the vehicle. If the seller is reluctant to let it be examined by a mechanic personally I would walk away. As for MPG that depends on the driver. I had a 2013 and was just fine with the power and the handling. My 2013 Had 0 problems in the 7 years I owned it. Now have a 2020 Passport and love it as well.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,407 Posts
A 2015 with only 68,000 miles is basically just broken in. If you can get ahold of the CarFax the only things that should have been done were oil changes and MAYBE transmission fluid change. Although if it was missing a transmission fluid change I would still buy the car assuming if runs and shifts great.

You are welcome to have it inspected, however I find it unlikely that there would be any issues unless it was horrible abused and in most cases it would be evident. But that is all depending on your risk tolerance.

The 2015 Pilots had most if not all of their issues worked out. Some people don't mind the VCM (ECO light) and some absolutely hate it. But you may want to disable it later on.

One trend I have noticed is Touring models typically have low resale value because the additional technology gets outdated very quickly (the NAV system) so you likely will get a decent deal on it.

Most people on this forum either love their Pilots to death and can never say anything bad about them, or only come on here to complain or seek a solution for a problem they are experiencing. So be sure and do your own independent research and make sure you enjoy driving the car because the people on here are already sold on Pilots.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
We bought our '15 3 years ago at 30k miles, we are now around 65k. My wife loves it and doesn't ever want to get rid of it. It's on the slow side with 250hp and 5 forward gears and the seat is a little tight for my cro magnon frame but it's not my DD.

Problem areas on the late 2nd gens are pretty sparse, usually the crappy OEM brakes need replacing because they start to pulse the pedal and a handful of people have had issues with VCM, which I deactivated because I prefer my vehicles running on all of the cylinders they were born with.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
2014 EX
21 Posts
I bought my 2014 new in Dec 2013. It's a white EX. There's been a few issues with some recalls but Honda has been good about fixing them when they show up in the system. Brakes and the original tires wore out quickly but I wouldn't NOT get a car due to maintenance items that can be replaced easily and with better quality parts. Mileage is anemic but I live in SoCal and traffic is always at a crawl. If I drive up to LA (all freeway, mostly freeway speed) then for that tank I'll get around 20-21mpg. To/from work I'm only 8 miles on a very congested freeway/street route and my usual is around 16-17mpg, sometimes worse. I didn't buy this for the mileage or I would have gotten a prius. My boyfriend has 4 kids and I have 1 and with MIL this was the best car for the money that fit 8 people. I think I paid ~27K. Now that everyone is adult sized, we still fit, not as comfortably, but can drive 6-7 adults to/from places. With kids and a dog, I invested in the Honda 2nd row seat covers and don't regret that decision. Mine has 87K miles on it now and is paid off.
If what you're looking for is a reliable, safe, people mover this is it. I do wish I would have bought the one with a sunroof, I miss that from my Accord. And maybe not white but the gunmetal color (I don't have the peeling paint issue, just changed my mind on the color.) Really those are my only complaints. And it's a bit dorky but I didn't spend my retirement fund on a car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone, they were super helpful and informative.

I think I'm going to set up a test drive and check it out, car sounds pretty solid.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks for the replies everyone, they were super helpful and informative.

I think I'm going to set up a test drive and check it out, car sounds pretty solid.
Sounds like a good plan. Really the big things have already been covered:

- Brakes pulsing - Just replace them as needed, they aren't that expensive

- Control arm bushings leaking - Can be replaced by Honda under extended warranty - Make sure you keep an eye on them and get them done

- VCM - Get the S-VCM or the other one that ties to the battery - I think it's called VCM Tuner II. Then forget about the VCM concerns. It's $100 bux and will make a world of difference in driving, throttle response, weird vibrations in cruise, and supposedly makes the car more reliable. No brainer there - just wish I'd done it sooner on ours.

We've had our 2013 Touring since new and have about 63k miles on it. Very few issues. Wife loves it. It's not exciting or interesting to drive but it gets the job done, is really great for families, tons and tons of space / storage, and doesn't need much attention. I'd call it the automotive equivalent to a refrigerator... a large refrigerator. We average probably about 18mpg on the cheap stuff real world around town driving with very little highway.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I have a 2017 and wish I had a 15 if that means anything. Crazy me.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
No, you're the minivan type...
Well, I would choose the 15 for less technology and an intake manifold that wasn't made of plastic. But ya, the 17 Pilot was an improvement over the choice of an Odyssey the wife and I had in the mix.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
Here you go then. Technology of the day. Crank windows, Am & FM radio, and a pocket in the door to hold plenty of road maps.

Come to think of it, I think the dimmer switch was still on the floor for this little baby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts