Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2015 Honda Pilot - Piston Ring failure :(

354 Views 6 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Nail Grease
3 Days ago my check engine light started flashing, just found out it's a Piston Ring failure. So it's a new car or an engine rebuild for thousands of dollars.

I've now read a ton of stuff about this issue with 2013 Pilots and earlier... so they knew it was a problem and didn't fix it with newer modules??? I have never loved a car as much as this before, I am literally heart broken.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
368 Posts
Your rings are fine, don't let the dealership fool you. You can disable VCM, replace the spark plugs, and you'll be good to go:

· Registered
5,827 Posts
@Nail Grease time to paste in your "recover a vehicle from the effects of VCM" verbiage.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
368 Posts
At some point I'd be happy to paste that into the megathread so he doesn't have to keep doing it.

· Registered
1,192 Posts
Your rings are fine, don't let the dealership fool you. You can disable VCM, replace the spark plugs, and you'll be good to go:
This is the thread to look at! Read that first post. Install a disabler, replace the spark plugs and go from there.

If you still have high oil consumption after a while you could try a ring flush.

There are about 5 or 6 things you should be trying BEFORE you consider taking the engine apart. Chances are one will work and you'll avoid the whole expensive mess.

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,291 Posts
If you still have high oil consumption after a while you could try a ring flush.
BG EPR Flush

My friend is top tech for Volkswagen. He said this is what they use in the shop when they get the oil burning motors in on vehicles. Warm it up, add this, run 15-20 minutes at about 2000rpm, drain oil, replace filter, refill.

It smells like :poop: but if dealers are using it to correct or severely reduce oil usage, works for me. Having friends as life long mechanics at dealers you trust is advice I will take any day.

I did the same with the BG 44k. The Infiniti dealer had the best prices. They used it for all there high $$ fuel injection cleaning after the combustion system cleaner. Worked great on many of my higher mileage vehicles that Techron didn't seem to make any noticeable difference.

Head over to BITOG and read about some Piston Soaks and fluid choices for them also and how to do them (without Hydrolocking).

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,994 Posts
Yes Erin, there is reason for hope as mentioned. Don’t feel backed into a corner by the dealership. For many of us who have experienced this problem, we were able to reverse the effects of the VCM or Variable Cylinder Management. Currently when your vehicle is coasting or while maintaining speed (cruise), the VCM causes certain cylinders to lay dormant. The affects of this is oil consumption, oily fouled spark plugs, dirty injectors and valves, clogged catalytic converters and yes… Stuck Piston Rings due to burned oil deposits. So, for around $100, you can purchase a device that prevents the VCM from activating, keeping all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time. I use S-VCM.

May I ask what is your current mileage?

This is my quick maintenance list to keep a Honda V6 engine running smoothly….
  • #1 priority… Disable the VCM
  • Air filter new/clean installed correctly box sealed properly
  • No cracks in intake tube, inspect in groves closely, clamps tight
  • Clean the MAF
  • Inspect throttle body for debris or excessive grim buildup, clean and do throttle relearn if needed.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Spark plugs new/clean replace every 100k miles, NGK Laser Iridium only
  • No oil in spark plug tubes, replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals if oil is present
  • Coils test fire, replace any oil soaked coil boots, use only NTK, Denso or OEM as replacement
  • Be diligent in replacing O2 sensors if O2 sensor trouble codes should happen
  • Replace EGR valve and or clean with passages/pipe if high mileage with unexplained rough idle.
  • On time oil changes using a quality full synthetic 0w20 engine oil with a medium < oil filter, no extended performance or semi blend oil
  • Use top tier 87 octane fuel or use fuel system or injector cleaner with unbranded
  • After the above is in good order, take the vehicle out on the highway for some extended periods of highway speed drives to burn off carbon deposits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts