Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have spent the last 2 days attempting to fix this problem.

I recently installed a remote car starter, in the process of doing so the battery died and I need to get it jumped.

At the time I didn't think anything of it, the remote starter worked fine.

However, I noticed the navigation unit screen and radio will not work. The nav screen is black.

I've attempted to pull and check EVERY fuse. As I found many forum posts that a radio fuse was the culprit.

I have tried holding the power button while the key is in the accessory start (and even tried while car is running).

I have tried holding the #1 and #6 button while the key is turned to accessory start (and even tried while car is running).

I've taken the radio out completely disconnecting it and putting it back in. I have not attempted to get the nav unit out, hope I don't have to.

I'm at my wits end here, anyone have any other thing I can try?

I think it has to do with anti-theft protection or something.

As a last resort, I'm leaving the battery completely unplugged for a few hours in the hopes that whatever capacitor is locking this all up discharges finally.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Go back through the work you did and check for stuff that was accidentally disconnected.

Read the owners manual section on restarting the entertainment stack after power was disconneced. On your 2015, the process is pretty simple, since the original stack is keyed to the stored serial number for the car. There's a specifc procedure with key on and off while you scratch your left armpit with your left hand... No need to know or remember the key code for the stack anymore. Just follow the procedure once you get the display back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All the connections are good, nothing is unconnected.

Manual just states the same thing I've tried.

Ignition switch to on, turn on the audio system (nothing turns on the system, it is black), press and hold audio system power button for more than two seconds (also does nothing).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Specific current flow paths and fuses to look at:

-- Primary flow to the nav/audio unit passes through fuse 17 in the underhood fuse/relay box. With the fuse in place, you should see battery voltage at both sides of that fuse regardless of kep position. Current flows from there directly to the audio/nav unit B+ input at A24, white conductor.

-- Accessory power is available from the ignition switch ACC contact. Red conductor from the switch terminal 4, through the ACC CUT RELAY. This relay drops current flow while the engine is starting. The output contact on that relay continues through fuse 35 in the under-dash fuse panel. You should see power on both sides of that fuse with key in ACC position (1).

-- There are separate circuits that feed the amplifier through fuse 2 in the underhood panel, and fuse 31 in the under-dash panel. The front HFL-NAV-ANC microphone and ANC unit get power through fuse 23 in the underhood fuse panel. Thses fuses should show battery voltage at both sides regardless of key position.

Test for power at installed fuses using a needle probe that can poke into the test openings at the back of the fuse while it's installed. OK to use a test light or DMM, with the ground clip connected to chassis ground.

You don't mention which model you have (EXL-NAV or Touring), so the downstream wiring details are slightly different between the two NAV options. Regardless, the primary power flow paths to main components are identical.

Start with these basic diagnostic steps before you start tearing stuff out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dr. Bob.... you are the best!

It ended up being fuse #35 under the dash... there was no fuse there!

I must have mistakenly placed it somewhere else!

Thank you, the screen now comes on and is prompting for a code! Woohoo!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Good news! So it was the last thing worked on...

Your Owner's Manual details how to get the entertainment stack to sync with the car. Note that the code sync process only works with the engine running. Will NOT work with key in accessory position only.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts