Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new to this community, thankful for this forum to be able to find answers, I'll try to be as concise as possible while still explaining in detail.
My wife's 2015 PIlot died on her 2 days ago, the battery light and VTM-4 light came on when it did.
I assumed bad battery, as it was over 4 years old and was within the 11 volt range when voltmeter tested. I replaced the battery, and immediately voltmeter tested the alternator charge to the new battery. There was no charge coming from the alternator.
I checked and cleaned all the cable connections i could see and access without digging down to the alternator. I reached down to 'feel' whatever connections i could on the actual alternator, wiggled the main harness connection... but still the same issue, no charge going to battery.
Obviously the alternator is packed into the engine pretty well, and it's difficult to see all the wiring harnesses and where all splits travel to. All the wiring is factory wrapped very well, and from what i can see, there are no damaged wires.
So my questions for the experts and those with experience...
Is it common for the 'difficult to see' connections at the alternator to become damaged?
Is there any possibility of any fuses that could be causing this issue?
Is it common for a 5 year old Pilot alternator to crap out?
Ironically, this all happened on the day my wifes brother passed, and with the chaos of planning arrangements and helping family, i just dont have the time yet to take apart the engine to get down to that alternator, so i'm trying to rule out more simple solutions first.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH in advance for any input! Be well all.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Very rarely is it anything else but the alternator. Only time the main fuse associated with the alt blows is when someone tries to jump start the veh backwards. Make sure there is oil leaking onto the alternator, that will kill it prematurely.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Verify fuse 3 in the under-dash fuse panel. 10A fuse, supplies alternator excitation, plus a couple minor PCM triggers, load monitoring.

The factory workshop manual has a troubleshooting section for the alternator, starting at 4-27 I think. Alternator voltage is controlled by a dedicated external circuit, vs. older systems that rely on an internal voltage regulator. The section on 4-27 looks at connections and whether there's any charging going on. If it's charging but voltage is less 13.3V running, the diagnostics for the charging control circuit requires HDS. If the alternator has a belt on it (worth a look...) and hasn't been damaged by water or oil, has good connections to the battery (via the main fuse and relay panel in the engine bay), it may be the alternator itself.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
While I'm all about DIY, I had a shop I trust do ours a few years ago on out 08. IIRC, it was around $500! Might have been $300? A good OEM quality alternater is $$$.

Slvr7? Agreed?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts