Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new owner of my favorite Pilot. Previously owned a 2004 LX (retired at 258K - still on the road) and 2009 (sold it at 175K-just upgaded for more technology).
Just returned from the dealer because I couldn't get the "toggle" switch to respond on the Nav/audio. They reset the unit and charged a diagnostic fee. I booked the appointment asking for a tech tutorial while I was there. The service advisor was just slightly more tech savvy than I - I didn't get a very good understanding during or after the session. They also told me a new "radio" would be $700. (if the "core" is OK), but if it's not it would be $6800. to replace the entire unit. I'm having issues that I don't see addressed in the manuals. ie. - how do I delete previously recorded tunes from the HDD? Is there an online tutorial that is better than the one I didn't receive from the dealer? Have others had trouble with this system. I'm enjoying the vehicle, but I'm not experiencing full enjoyment. I can't seem to connect a second phone to the HandsFreeLink. This is important since the states I travel in have "hands-free" laws. Looking for feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Not sure which "toggle" you are looking at. (scratches head where hair used to grow...)

The car came with a thick manual dedicated to the NAV and audio package. I downloaded a nice indexed and searchable PDF version from Honda that's much more useful than the paper version that came with the car. The book set came nestled in the center console storage area forward of the cupholder and junk tray under the tamber door slide rolling accordian cover thing.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Not sure which "toggle" you are looking at. (scratches head where hair used to grow...)

The car came with a thick manual dedicated to the NAV and audio package. I downloaded a nice indexed and searchable PDF version from Honda that's much more useful than the paper version that came with the car. The book set came nestled in the center console storage area forward of the cupholder and junk tray under the tamber door slide rolling accordian cover thing.
agreed i'm using mine for a door stopper .. for the 2015 series they came with 2 big books one to get an idea where all the buttons are including the passenger injection seat. and the other book for just to learn the technology that's in the Pilot .

They discontinued the trunk Monkey edition couple years ago due to legal issues :)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Need a trunk monkey who can read and understand the manuals, maybe with a wrench and screwdriver just in case.

I think my 2013 has the same 'big manuals' package. I got a similar-to-OP's ten minute salesman's familiarization with all the technology stuff when we picked the car up. Most of that time was spent trying to pair my phone. After I found the downloadable books from Honda, they went to the SD card in my travel tablet and served as insomnia cures on long airplane rides. Discovered piles of features that the average user wouldn't find on his or her own. Seems like most owners treat reading the manual as cruel and unusual masochism, but in fact the extra info was well worth the time investment. My permissible airplane-seat reading material list is extremely limited, fortunately didn't prohibit Honda Owner manuals. Anyway, lots to discover when you find the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I find they call it the INTERFACE DIAL.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hmmm. Described starting on Page 10 of the Navigation System Manual. For my 2013 anyway. Page 11 starts a detailed description of the options available with that interface dial. If you found the name, can I speculate that you found it in the Nav manual?

----

I've been gently prodding mrs dr bob to find a more modern replacement for her gen-2 4Runner. In our graying years, she's not ready to go through an 'unnecessary' learning curve on a new Audi Q or Porsche SUV, or even a new 4Runner or Lexus. Meanwhile, a mid-80's white-haired neighbor had to replace her 25yo Taurus wagon, and is going through that same shock as she learns her replacement. I suggested that she spend time with the Owner's Manual, and she gave me that funny look, the one that questions how she'd gain anything by reading it. Meanwhile, the local Subaru dealer that sold her the car gave her a small notebook, and asked her to keep a log of things she doesn't understand or any other questions she might have. In a couple weeks, the dealer's customer service "old couple" will spend as much time as necessary explaining and answering. For many, that kind of hand-holding is what's needed to keep happy customers... and avoid getting poor customer service survey results. The manuals are intimidating, and tend to be written in a style that somewhat assumes that the buyer already knows how all this stuff works. Poor assumption.

I write a huge amount of technical documentation for my little spare-time gig writing control and automation software packages for power plants. The challenge is how to share the details of how it all works and plays together, with an audience that spans barely-made-it-through-high-school to top grads from Navy nuke school to post-graduate engineering candidates. Making it simple enough for a fifth-grade reading level (the 'Readers Digest' standard) means that lots of pages are consumed making it that easy. The number of pages is then off-putting for higher-level audience members/ students. I end up writing smaller books, and metering them to the classes. Car manuals need to work for an even larger spectrum of readers. Truth is though that a majority of manual sets get removed, lost, or stowed permanently, often without ever having been opened. There's rather instant gratification available from User Groups like ours, with answers coached in experience rather than 'book knowledge'.

Congrats if you read this far. ;)

·
Registered
474 Posts
It seems like English is not your first language, so the post is a bit hard to understand. Maybe you you could describe the problem in more detail? System does not switch from navigation to audio when you turn interface dial?

Also, see:
Phone pairing info on page 20. (Setup - Phone Setup, Add new Phone should be in there)

To delete music from HDD: Press 'Setup', go to 'CD Library Setup', and that should have the option to delete.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
To be clear, the buttons and the interface dial do not change any audio functions, turn the radio on or off, etc. They are dedicated to the central display, and from that you can select some configuration functions and settings. The display defaults to navigation on start-up after you accept the warning message and pressing the interface dial once to signal OK. After that, the buttons on the console around the dial allow you to pick a display category to show, and from there you'll see prompts to turn, tilt, or press the dial to select and accept functions.

The exact functions and the commands needed to get there are detailed in the Navigation manual. Some of the basic radio and entertainment functions are mentioned in the main Owner's Manual, but to get into the details you'l want to read the Nav manual. Everything is in the manuals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts