Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
Was just looking at tires too. Like $900-$1000 total between Costco and Discount Tire. Costco isn't that much cheaper plus I hear you have to make an appointment. The Discount Tire where I live is amazing. Even when they are busy I can be out of there in 30-45 minutes. Plus they have a good warranty.
I used to use Discount Tire a lot. Seemed the lines got longer and my ticket got larger after a reasonable tire price quote.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
As Yogi Berra said: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."
Just crazy how $600 worth of tires ends up $800. I'd rather buy my tires online, shipped to me and have my local shop install for $100. Tire rack offers road hazard on most tires. But we've had this discussion before.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Just crazy how $600 worth of tires ends up $800. I'd rather buy my tires online, shipped to me and have my local shop install for $100. Tire rack offers road hazard on most tires. But we've had this discussion before.
The local shop I've been buying tires from is part of a chain and will match anyone's price, including the online sellers.
When I know I'll be needing new tires, I start looking for a manufacturer's rebate and then combine it with a price match.
I'm not buying tires for a fleet of vehicles and, given my typical annual mileage, I'm replacing tires solely based on their age, not because the tread has worn out.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
The local shop I've been buying tires from is part of a chain and will match anyone's price, including the online sellers.
When I know I'll be needing new tires, I start looking for a manufacturer's rebate and then combine it with a price match.
I'm not buying tires for a fleet of vehicles and, given my typical annual mileage, I'm replacing tires solely based on their age, not because the tread has worn out.
Yes, but does your tire shop have access to the tires I would want. Maybe? Very acceptable approach. :p

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Yes, but does your tire shop have access to the tires I would want. Maybe? Very acceptable approach. :p
Sumitomo, for sure. Otani, probably not.
The cheapest tires they sell are probably from either GT or Nankang.
As I've heard them say before, they don't sell the very cheapest 'no-name' brands because most of their customers want tires made by a company whose name is at least somewhat familiar.
There are other dealers in the area for those buyers who just want something round and black and at a bargain price.
They also don't do much business with commercial vehicles, so they might not have cheap tires for your Nissan van - unless this one might be satisfactory:
https://www.gtradial-us.com/assets/pdf/maxmiler-pro.pdf
Again, there are some other local dealers that specialize in commercial account tire business.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
Sumitomo, for sure. Otani, probably not.
The cheapest tires they sell are probably from either GT or Nankang.
As I've heard them say before, they don't sell the very cheapest 'no-name' brands because most of their customers want tires made by a company whose name is at least somewhat familiar.
There are other dealers in the area for those buyers who just want something round and black and at a bargain price.
They also don't do much business with commercial vehicles, so they might not have cheap tires for your Nissan van - unless this one might be satisfactory:
https://www.gtradial-us.com/assets/pdf/maxmiler-pro.pdf
Again, there are some other local dealers that specialize in commercial account tire business.
I don't buy cheap tires. I buy inexpensive ones that can go the distance and out perform many big name brand tires. 😁
Now what will your local shop install 4 tires for mount and balance?

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
Now what will your local shop install 4 tires for mount and balance?
Based on my most recent purchase, mounting was "free" - assuming you buy the tires from them.
Not sure if they'll install tires you bought elsewhere.
Balancing was $17 along with $5 for a new valve stem, per tire.

If you want something they don't usually handle but that TireRack sells, such as Vredestein, then they have some sort of wholesale agreement with TireRack and can get you the tires for the same price as on TireRack.
I chose that option some years ago to get a set of Continental winter tires.

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
Based on my most recent purchase, mounting was "free" - assuming you buy the tires from them.
Not sure if they'll install tires you bought elsewhere.
Balancing was $17 along with $5 for a new valve stem, per tire.

If you want something they don't usually handle but that TireRack sells, such as Vredestein, then they have some sort of wholesale agreement with TireRack and can get you the tires for the same price as on TireRack.
I chose that option some years ago to get a set of Continental winter tires.
Then your mounting, balance and stims is around $100 which is good.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,068 Posts
I just got some new tires for my Track Day coming up end of May '21.

BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S21
Latest Technology Hypersport Radials designed and developed to get the best out of the latest Hypersport machines

Speed Rated to W- = 168mph+ !

OH wait, wrong forum LOL

Around $272 shiupped.

I'm now mounting and balancing myself too! I use the 'Zip-tie' method for removing and mounting. And some tire tools.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,331 Posts

View attachment 146985

BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S21
Latest Technology Hypersport Radials designed and developed to get the best out of the latest Hypersport machines

OH wait, wrong forum LOL

Around $272 shiupped.

I'm now mounting and balancing myself too! I use the 'Zip-tie' method for removing and mounting. And some tire tools.
Oh I don't know, for a set of 4 it would only be $544. At that price I'm sure there are some members here that would be willing to try to put them on one of their vehicles, since they do appear to be performance tires as well as quite inexpensive (cheap). 🤣

How are they at 75 mph taking a curve?

·
Registered
9,581 Posts

View attachment 146985

BATTLAX HYPERSPORT S21

OH wait, wrong forum LOL

Around $272 shiupped.

Nice tires for the bike, but ya, might be difficult to retrofit to a 2015 Honda Pilot. Lol

·
Registered
9,581 Posts
Oh I don't know, for a set of 4 it would only be $544. At that price I'm sure there are some members here that would be willing to try to put them on one of their vehicles, since they do appear to be performance tires as well as quite inexpensive (cheap). 🤣

How are they at 75 mph taking a curve?
What size rim? In not one to splurge on fancy rims.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Was just looking at tires too. Like $900-$1000 total between Costco and Discount Tire. Costco isn't that much cheaper plus I hear you have to make an appointment. The Discount Tire where I live is amazing. Even when they are busy I can be out of there in 30-45 minutes. Plus they have a good warranty.
My beef with Costco is not the appointment necessarily as the wait time can be long even with the appointment. Costco only installs the OEM tire size so no custom tire upgrades.

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
My beef with Costco is not the appointment necessarily as the wait time can be long even with the appointment.
If the local tire shop makes me wait, at least I didn't have to pay a membership fee in order to experience that inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If you want to mount a different sized tire at any tire store, just carry the wheels in. I order tires in advance at Costco, make an appointment for mounting them, and just leave the wheels without a car bolted to them. That way they are fitting tires to wheels, not to a car for which they have size limitations. That way the wheels get cleaned and any refurbishing is done in advance too. Saves air-gun wear on lug-nuts and wheel studs too. They get done while I shop.

The tires on our Pilot are Michelin club-store-only labeled Michelins, which ended up almost $200 less than the identical but mainstream-labeled tire. Shop the promotions and rebates carefully. Fortuitous ordering and mounting schedules managed to span two fall promotions/rebates periods. I'd like to claim some clairvoyance but can't.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had great luck with the Hankook tires on my 2013. Running a Firestone destination LE2 and don't like them. You can also plus size on it and run a 245/60/18 (like 2016+). Gives wider tire stance and better load capability. Does not change speedo.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My history with Hankook tires is, um, mediocre at best. I know there are some serious fans and the prices are very attractive, but tread life and ride quality have never lived up to expectations. I have two only experiences, one when they were already installed on a car I bought, and one when I bought a set outright for a utility/jobsite Toyota pickup. My won't-ever-buy list includes these and a few others. I'm a user sample set of one though.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot Ex-l 4wd modern steel metallic
78 Posts
Wow xGS ***. Quite obvious from an outsider point of view that he dislikes Nail Grease. Just sayin. Came to this thread looking for tire recommendations and it was mostly about how xGS's hate for another member.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts