Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for all weather tires for my 2015 Pilot. I live in Pennsylvania. They need to be good for snow, but mostly highway driving. What do you recommend?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,129 Posts

Reactions: PHM and Nail Grease

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
I'm a big fan of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s (now P03). They are now an All Season Ultra High Performance tire which make them great for high speed highway driving and also have a M+S (mud and snow) rating (not severe ice and snow rated).

And the price is nice.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I'm a big fan of Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s (now P03). They are now an All Season Ultra High Performance tire which make them great for high speed highway driving and also have a M+S (mud and snow) rating (not severe ice and snow rated).
View attachment 143329
And the price is nice.
You just can't help yourself, can you?
If anyone had any remaining doubts, we now know with absolute certainty that you're just a shill for Sumitomo.

The OP asked about all-weather tires, not all-season tires.
All-weather tires have the snowflake/mountain symbol on the sidewall.
The tire(s) you're recommending lack it.

Examples of all-weather tires the OP should consider are the Vredestein Quatrac Pro, the Michelin CrossClimate2 and CrossClimate SUV, the Nokian WR G4 SUV, the Hankook Kinergy 4S2X and the Toyo Celsius SUV.
Firestone also has the Weathergrip tire, but I've never tried it.
Goodyear has the Assurance WeatherReady tire, but it's priced about the same as the Michelin tires. IMO, if you're going to pay Michelin prices, then you should get a Michelin tire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I live in western Pennsylvania and I have the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on my pilot. They have been solid especially in the snow the last few days. I think I’d consider the Michelin Defenders as well or the pirelli scorpion verde II or the continental cross contact lx25. Heard great things about all of those tires. Tires are one thing to never go cheap on.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Tires are one thing to never go cheap on.
I agree. Never go with cheap made tires. There are a lot of expensive tires out there hidden in the touring category that are not well built. Many are overpaying for tires. Consumer reviews, not advertisement can produce a positive choice. You may make the Bib unhappy.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Looking for all weather tires for my 2015 Pilot. I live in Pennsylvania. They need to be good for snow, but mostly highway driving. What do you recommend?
Maybe narrow down the choices by prioritizing what's most important to you, i.e., riding comfort, noise, price, off road handling, tread wear longevity, load rating, high speed/cornering performance, dry/wet and snow handling ... etc.

This might help:

You might want to check out the Michelin Cross Climate 2 or SUV.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
I live in western Pennsylvania and I have the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas on my pilot. They have been solid especially in the snow the last few days. I think I’d consider the Michelin Defenders as well or the pirelli scorpion verde II or the continental cross contact lx25. Heard great things about all of those tires. Tires are one thing to never go cheap on.
None of those tires are all-weather tires.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
It's possible, but the OP mentioned Pennsylvania and snow, not south Texas.
Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s were rated good in snow, not fair or poor. Certainty not the best. You give up something to gain somewhere else. No, Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 is not for you if this is your plan....

OP asked for a recommendation for a tire "good" in snow, but mostly for highway driving. I can't think of a better tire for highway driving and at a great price point.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s were rated good in snow, not fair or poor. Certainty not the best. You give up something to gain somewhere else. No, Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 is not for you if this is your plan....
View attachment 143353
OP asked for a recommendation for a tire "good" in snow, but mostly for highway driving. I can't think of a better tire for highway driving and at a great price point.
I’m in the same region dealing with similar snow conditions without all-weather tires or snow tires. Running the Bridgestone Alenza and the Pilot just powers through with VTM-4 assist.
The OP asked about "all weather" tires.
All-weather tires have the snowflake/mountain symbol on the sidewall and meet the legal definition of a snow tire.
Neither that Sumitomo tire nor that Bridgestone tire are so qualified - regardless of how they might perform in winter conditions.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
All-weather tires have the snowflake/mountain symbol on the sidewall
I made that clear in my 1st post.
I've not misrepresented the tire, even If I lived in Quito, Ecuador.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
The OP
If the OP wants an all-weather tire, why even bother suggesting a tire that fails to meet that criteria?
The OP seems satisfied to look at non-all weather tires like Michelin Defender LTX and Perelli Scorpion Verde II, none of which are "all weather" having the severe Ice and Snow rating.
No ones preventing you from recommending the tire you've had good experiences with.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
The OP seems satisfied to look at non-all weather tires like Michelin Defender LTX and Perelli Scorpion Verde II, none of which are "all weather" having the severe Ice and Snow rating.
Where did the OP make that statement regarding non-all-weather tires?

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
Where did the OP make that statement regarding non-all-weather tires?
Sorry, my mistake. Another poster did. OP has been silent. Maybe they already ordered a set of Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s or having them installed at NTB.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
26 Posts
I understand that they may not technically be "All-Weather Tires" like the Vredestein Quatrac 5s or the BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport but they're All-Season. My experience in Western PA, which by the way is where Uber was performing their self driving experimentation due to the changes in elevation, terrain and weather, was that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas had served me well in the snow and the hills around here. I bought my 2011 Pilot in March of 2019 and it had the Goodyear Forteras. The Forteras still had half their usable tread left and I was happy to discard them.

Another thing you may want to look into is changing the rear shocks.

·
Registered
10,343 Posts
I understand that they may not technically be "All-Weather Tires" like the Vredestein Quatrac 5s or the BF Goodrich Advantage TA Sport but they're All-Season. My experience in Western PA, which by the way is where Uber was performing their self driving experimentation due to the changes in elevation, terrain and weather, was that the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas had served me well in the snow and the hills around here. I bought my 2011 Pilot in March of 2019 and it had the Goodyear Forteras. The Forteras still had half their usable tread left and I was happy to discard them.

Another thing you may want to look into is changing the rear shocks.
May I ask what Bridgestone Dueler do you possess?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts