Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am brand new. We've had our pilot since 2017, and we've loved it so far, barely had to put anything into it so far aside from a water pump and timing belt. BUT Friday evening we were in the mcdonalds drive-through getting the bratlings happy meals when the battery light went on. We went right home, and Saturday morning the hubby went and bought a new alternator at advanced and replaced it. Took it out later that day and the light is still going on. We've figured out that the light does go on when we are braking, so we thought perhaps a fuse issue? But they're all good from what we can tell. We checked the battery and that's good. He used a multi-meter to check the alternator and his says it's good, but then we took it to my uncles and his said it's struggling to get to 12-14v. We are stumped, and I am starting a new job and need the car to be reliable. We will take to the super expensive dealership if we have to, but would love to avoid that. So any suggestions would be awesome, thank so much! Pilot is an EX-L in case that matters.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
“ it's struggling to get to 12-14v” .....,couple things to inspect:
-defective alternator (advance could test)
-check/clean all connections
-serpentine belt
-battery tested at advance

·
Registered
750 Posts
Honda's hate anything electronic/electrical non oem or denso, the advanced auto alternator is most likely still your problem.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,335 Posts
“ it's struggling to get to 12-14v” .....,couple things to inspect:
-defective alternator (advance could test)
-check/clean all connections
-serpentine belt
-battery tested at advance
spot on.

Its also possible, if your miles are getting towards the timing belt change time ie 100k that he tensioner for the serpentine belt has grown weak. I wonder if a new tensioner and serpentine belt would solve the issue.
btw, in my limited experience, remanufactured alternators are hit and miss for reliability

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
spot on.

Its also possible, if your miles are getting towards the timing belt change time ie 100k that he tensioner for the serpentine belt has grown weak. I wonder if a new tensioner and serpentine belt would solve the issue.
btw, in my limited experience, remanufactured alternators are hit and miss for reliability

Thank you! He removed the alternator last night and is going to switch it out later today when he gets home from work. Also the water pump, and timing belt were changed by a dealer around 100k, we're currently at 108ish-k.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts