Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my brake pads and rotors replaced. About a month later I started hearing an occassional squeak as I started moving but now it's constant. I thought that it could be a caliper not releasing, brake dust, something behind the shield, etc.. I took it to two different shops but they couldn't find it. Another shop threw in upgraded brake pads when I went ahead with struts although the pads I had installed a few months ago looked great.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
The almost-exclusive cause of your noise is a sticking caliper. Replacing the pads will offer you a short bit of relief, until the new pads get a little glaze on them from the constant dragging. Clean any corrosion and accumulated dust from the slide surfaces and bolts, and apply a thin layer of good caliper slide grease to the friction surfaces.

The second less common cause is damage to the piston seals and dust boots when replacing pads. The pistons need to be pushed back into the caliper to get the new pads in. There are tools for this, or you can push them back with the old pads and a clamp. You want to do this with the calipers still bolted to the car, and before you pull the old pads. If the pistons aren't fully retracted when the pads are removed, a hack might try to push them back with a screwdriver, and damage the dust boot. That risks the piston not retracting when pedal pressure is removed, the pad doesn't retract with it, pad drags, pad squeaks. Easy visual inspection with pads removed.

Make sure that the pad hardware is installed correctly. Make sure the caliper is clean where the pads slide. There are aftermarket goops that are applied between pads and pistons to help the pistons draw the pads back.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
Nice review Bob.

Often though, it is actually the caliper slide bolts sticking, thus the caliper/pad drag on one side.
VERY common.

When you take the not off the slide bolt to remove the caliper, one must then try and move the slide bolt in and out. Should move freely by hand.

I recently did a front brake pad job on my 08, and 1 of the 4 caliper slides was stuck.
I managed to get it out with vice grips, clean it, put the caliper grease in the hole and the rubber dust boot, and slid it back in. Then it moved by hand.

OP- why did you need new rotors too? Let me guess? Warped LOL
I won't even post the links about that myth.

My money is on a sticky caliper slide bolt, if you get a packet of the brake caliper grease- then it's a free fix- if it's the problem.

It seems people think that that grease goes on the back of the pads?
I've never used it there- ever. Only on the caliper slides- where it IS REALLY needed.
I've done a lot of DIY brakes on my vehicles.
Never had a rotor 'warp'
Unless the warning metal strip is hitting the rotor (time for new pads),
the brakes are silent afterwards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts