Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got my 2014 EX-L, 92,000 miles, posted a thread about the rear wiper - got that and a few other minor things de-bugged. I like the vehicle. Talked to a service writer at the dealer to see if he cold tell me what had been done, he mentioned a spark plug replaced a few times - I thought to myself, 'why on earth would this thing be fouling plugs?' .. seems to run fine so I let it go. Now, reading about the VCM issues on this forum, that's probably what caused the fouling plugs/rough running. I'm a little concerned. I tend to maintain things and run vehicles till the bitter end and was hoping to do this to my new to me Pilot. Do I need to disable the VCM system?

I've tried to read through some of the VCM post threads and things get kind of wordy and long with lots of three letter acronyms. For a 2014, is there a relatively easy, dependable fix to disable the VCM system?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I recently got my 2014 EX-L, 92,000 miles, posted a thread about the rear wiper - got that and a few other minor things de-bugged. I like the vehicle. Talked to a service writer at the dealer to see if he cold tell me what had been done, he mentioned a spark plug replaced a few times - I thought to myself, 'why on earth would this thing be fouling plugs?' .. seems to run fine so I let it go. Now, reading about the VCM issues on this forum, that's probably what caused the fouling plugs/rough running. I'm a little concerned. I tend to maintain things and run vehicles till the bitter end and was hoping to do this to my new to me Pilot. Do I need to disable the VCM system?

I've tried to read through some of the VCM post threads and things get kind of wordy and long with lots of three letter acronyms. For a 2014, is there a relatively easy, dependable fix to disable the VCM system?
I recommend disabling the VCM. Keeping the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time prevents spark plug fouling, carbon buildup and improves catalytic converter efficiency. It solved my P0420 and P0430 emission codes.
I use S-VCM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
From reading other threads, and also my own personal experience, I would go ahead and spend the cash on disabling the VCM.

I find the vehicle is more pleasant to drive, and I think it will do well to extend the life of the engine.

I think any of the VCM disabling tools will work well on your 2014.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, without question I'm disabling it. Glad I asked the service writer about the vehicle and got the fouled plug history, and now reading about it all. Pays to be proactive on maintenance.

What a great resource here

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
If I had not learned about VCM disabling, my 2012 Crosstour with 266k miles would have been sold for parts a long time ago. 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently purchased a 2012 Pilot with 42,000 miles on the odometer. After reading through the posts regarding potential issues with VCM, I purchased the S-VCM to disable it. After a coupe of weeks with it installed, the jerk and clunks of the ECO past are gone! I'm looking forward to many more miles / years of service from my Pilot, while running on all 6 cylinders.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I recently purchased a 2012 Pilot with 42,000 miles on the odometer. After reading through the posts regarding potential issues with VCM, I purchased the S-VCM to disable it. After a coupe of weeks with it installed, the jerk and clunks of the ECO past are gone! I'm looking forward to many more miles / years of service from my Pilot, while running on all 6 cylinders.
Where are you on this subject? Lol

Reactions: mij12
1 - 10 of 10 Posts