Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was driving on a dirt/gravel road away from a lake. Came around a corner and saw a huge truck coming at me. I immediately stopped and pulled to the side of the road, hugging the dirt enbankment. Didn't matter. He either didn't think he would hit me, didn't see me, or just couldn't stop in time. His truck missed my pilot completely, but his trailer destroyed my driver side fender, drive side door, and scraped along the drive side passenger door and rear panel.

Ripped up my suspension pretty good. I have great insurance and I'm still waiting to see if they can find him at fault.

Anyhow, both the tow truck driver (who is a mechanic), and a claims adjuster both say it will definitely be declared as a total loss.

I have about 104k miles. I just did the timing belt, water pump, 100k maintenance. I'm only the 2nd owner .The interior is in great shape. Mechanically the vehicle is in great shape and runs really well.

I know that I have the option to buy the car at salvage price (fwiw the car is registered in CA so my insurance has to play by CA laws/regulations)

Someone mentioned if I dont mind the cosmetic issues then I could repair the suspension/tire, and drive to Mexico for cheap body repair. My concern would be that as long as the frame is not damaged, the vehicle should be just as safe as it always was, right?

Anyhow, does anyone here think it would be wise to salvage it, or would that depend on what the salvage price would be vs repairs vs what the settlement would end up being, etc...?

Fwiw I do have the time on my side to be able to handle this/deal with repairs/drive the car to mexico or wherever to save money on the body work.

The vehicle is currently in Wyoming fwiw. I'm currently in Montana.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I like the idea of rebuilding it, but it does you no good if you can not save the labor cost to rebuild yourself. That's why it's a write off.
If the suspension is bent then there is always a chance there is damage to the CV axle as well.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
I like the idea of rebuilding it, but it does you no good if you can not save the labor cost to rebuild yourself. That's why it's a write off.
If the suspension is bent then there is always a chance there is damage to the CV axle as well.
Why didn't the Sumitomo tires prevent this incident?

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
His truck missed my pilot completely, but his trailer destroyed my driver side fender, drive side door, and scraped along the drive side passenger door and rear panel.
Ripped up my suspension pretty good. I have great insurance and I'm still waiting to see if they can find him at fault.
Anyhow, both the tow truck driver (who is a mechanic), and a claims adjuster both say it will definitely be declared as a total loss.
I have about 104k miles.
I know that I have the option to buy the car at salvage price (fwiw the car is registered in CA so my insurance has to play by CA laws/regulations)
Anyhow, does anyone here think it would be wise to salvage it, or would that depend on what the salvage price would be vs repairs vs what the settlement would end up being, etc...?
The vehicle is currently in Wyoming fwiw. I'm currently in Montana.
Assuming that this vehicle is totaled, can you afford to buy a new vehicle?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wise or foolish, decisions like this always come down to "Why?"

If you're going to put that kind of money, time and energy into a car, is this the one to choose? It's not collectible, exotic or unique. It's been a good car, I'm sure, but it's just a Honda Pilot. You can get another and put less money into getting it perfect.

Unless your settlement is big enough to buy another car and pay for the parts to do this one and you're looking for an interesting hobby, I don't see the point in resurrecting this one.

I could see buying it as a wreck if you found another '14 with a blown motor and otherwise excellent condition. By doing the transplant, you might make some progress pretty quickly.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Why didn't the Sumitomo tires prevent this incident?
Well they obviously saved this man's life! The last thing you need is squishy touring tires when an evasive maneuver is needed. 😅

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
176 Posts
I feel your pain. I do not like the new Pilots and would probably fix mine if there wasn't any suspension or structural issues. If you are not going to keep it, I could use the motor in the passenger side view mirror as mine is going.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
You will likely get a good amount of money from your insurance if they do total it. Unfortunately used cars are priced super high right now so I don’t know if you’d be able to get something comparable.

I would vote against trying to rebuilt it because it would be a hassle to get it inspected and I believe it won’t be the same after you fix it.

Sorry you had to deal with all of this. Accidents are never fun!

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I know that I have the option to buy the car at salvage price (fwiw the car is registered in

It could be a good project if the frame checks out, have the time and skills then pick it up at salvage value. Based off the pic a new driver-side fender, door, suspension parts and paint. Cons: if the CV axle speared into the trans ETC it might be game over.
However not to sure about driving to the border for some body work

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
It could be a good project if the frame checks out, have the time and skills then pick it up at salvage value. Based off the pic a new driver-side fender, door, suspension parts and paint. Cons: if the CV axle speared into the trans ETC it might be game over.
However not to sure about driving to the border for some body work
Yes to all of This!
I'd want to repair, but an inspection of the CV axle and transmission would be the determining factor. From what I see, the upper frame is still ok. It may need to be pulled out an inch or 2. Buff and prime. At that point, I'm searching salvage yards for doors, bumper, fender and rim. Then rebuild the suspension. This could be an easy DIY.

Reactions: briantii and aggrex

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
Tough decision to make to be sure, but tough decisions are part of life.

Several years ago I had to make a similar decision about Charlie. Charlie was a very talented and loved Morgan that I raised from a colt. I took my time and Indian broke him, taught him to ground hitch and leg trained him. We worked cattle for many a year together. Ole Charlie was a natural at staying right next to a steer. He was a good rider as well with a smooth, comfortable gait. I rode Charlie every chance I got, whether it was for working or for pleasure. Charlie seemed to enjoy it every time I rode him. I never had to call twice for ole Charlie to come trotting up to me.

Even at 22 years of age, Charlie had a lot of spirit in him. I was out working on a gate by the barn and I saw Charlie running across the pasture. Charlie alway was a runner. He was strong minded and ever time my butt hit the saddle we would have a real short discussion as to who was going to be boss that day. I always won, but the "discussion" was always a part of Charlie, and when it was over he never minded being the looser.

Anyway, ole Charlie was running across the pasture, and I saw him fall. Thing was, he didn't get up, just lay there. When I got to him I saw that he had broken a leg. Called the vet and she was there within 10 minutes. She looked Charlie over and found he had broken an leg in two places. It was a real bad break.

Now at 22, Charlie was getting to be an old horse. We talked about it and the vet said that even if she set it and all went well, that if he healed at his age he would never walk right again, and would probably be in some level of discomfort the rest of his life.

I was afraid that was what she was going to tell me, but just didn't want to believe it. She offered to put him down for me, but I raised him and no one but me was going to be the one that put him to rest. She handed me the syringe and walked away.

Some times in life you just have to know when it's time to walk away.

You could probably fix the Pilot, but is it ever going to be the same. Thats what you have to decide. Unibody construction just isn't as forgiving when it comes to wreck rebuilds as body on frame.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Tough decision to make to be sure, but tough decisions are part of life.

Several years ago I had to make a similar decision about Charlie. Charlie was a very talented and loved Morgan that I raised from a colt. I took my time and Indian broke him, taught him to ground hitch and leg trained him. We worked cattle for many a year together. Ole Charlie was a natural at staying right next to a steer. He was a good rider as well with a smooth, comfortable gait. I rode Charlie every chance I got, whether it was for working or for pleasure. Charlie seemed to enjoy it every time I rode him. I never had to call twice for ole Charlie to come trotting up to me.

Even at 22 years of age, Charlie had a lot of spirit in him. I was out working on a gate by the barn and I saw Charlie running across the pasture. Charlie alway was a runner. He was strong minded and ever time my butt hit the saddle we would have a real short discussion as to who was going to be boss that day. I always won, but the "discussion" was always a part of Charlie, and when it was over he never minded being the looser.

Anyway, ole Charlie was running across the pasture, and I saw him fall. Thing was, he didn't get up, just lay there. When I got to him I saw that he had broken a leg. Called the vet and she was there within 10 minutes. She looked Charlie over and found he had broken an leg in two places. It was a real bad break.

Now at 22, Charlie was getting to be an old horse. We talked about it and the vet said that even if she set it and all went well, that if he healed at his age he would never walk right again, and would probably be in some level of discomfort the rest of his life.

I was afraid that was what she was going to tell me, but just didn't want to believe it. She offered to put him down for me, but I raised him and no one but me was going to be the one that put him to rest. She handed me the syringe and walked away.

Some times in life you just have to know when it's time to walk away.

You could probably fix the Pilot, but is it ever going to be the same. Thats what you have to decide. Unibody construction just isn't as forgiving when it comes to wreck rebuilds as body on frame.
🤦‍♂️
This can be repaired. It was a side swipe.
Sorry about Charlie.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,872 Posts
🤦‍♂️
This can be repaired. It was a side swipe.
Sorry about Charlie.
Once the words "Ripped up my suspension pretty good." came out, my confidence in repairing it diminished. What I don't understand it why the OP's insurance is covering the issue. In my world the truck drivers insurance would be covering it.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
What I don't understand it why the OP's insurance is covering the issue. In my world the truck drivers insurance would be covering it.
I'd say the trucking company insurance will try to repair while your own may write it off.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Why repair it? If you are not knowledgeable in repairs and specifically body work, you will end up losing tons of money and time. If the insurance company can make a solid case as to why it can be repaired by a body shop, I would likely have no problem having them repair it. If they want to total it and give a fair price for the value of the car then go buy a new/used one!

It just isn't worth the effort and as many others have said, it likely won't be the same.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Unless you use old undies as shop rags like @Nail Grease I don't think repairing is a viable option. It's real easy for even a pretty good home mechanic to get in over their head...

That being said I had a coworker who can't do much of anything on a car buy his Mazda3 back from the insurance company after a tree fell on it... replaced the windshield, mirror and rigged up the headlight since the bracket had broken... he could live with the body damage. So he got a $5k check and was in about $1k by the time he got it inspected. Of course he has plenty of money and could go buy another car if he failed, my monetary reserves wouldn't allow for such risks.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Unless you use old undies as shop rags like @Nail Grease I don't think repairing is a viable option. It's real easy for even a pretty good home mechanic to get in over their head...

That being said I had a coworker who can't do much of anything on a car buy his Mazda3 back from the insurance company after a tree fell on it... replaced the windshield, mirror and rigged up the headlight since the bracket had broken... he could live with the body damage. So he got a $5k check and was in about $1k by the time he got it inspected. Of course he has plenty of money and could go buy another car if he failed, my monetary reserves wouldn't allow for such risks.
I don't disagree with you.
If I were the OP and had the time, and the CV axle and transmission were fine, and I've done my research in how much my parts would cost to rebuild, I've placed myself in a position to bank the profits. I'd try to get the insurance company to not salvage title it (if possible). That would spare a lot of headaches (Inspection, Registration + TTL will have to be paid again). If you own it free and clear, they can write you a check.
Me, I'm going for it. No need to fear.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Why repair it? If you are not knowledgeable in repairs and specifically body work, you will end up losing tons of money and time. If the insurance company can make a solid case as to why it can be repaired by a body shop, I would likely have no problem having them repair it. If they want to total it and give a fair price for the value of the car then go buy a new/used one!

It just isn't worth the effort and as many others have said, it likely won't be the same.
I hate body work as in fixing dents and paint. I don't mind welding (if needed) buffing surface rust and rust proof the frame. In my 2 cases of rebuilding a Crosstour and Pilot, I did not do paint and body work on hood and fenders. I simply acquired undamaged parts from salvage that were already painted my color. If you know how to turn a wrench and rachet, you can bolt on a replacement door, bumper, hood or fender.
The worth?
Got a 87k mile 2012 Crosstour with a brand new set of tires for $5.5k. At the time, they were being sold for $11-12.5k.
Got a 19k mile 2017 Pilot new tires and all for $18.5k.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I hate body work as in fixing dents and paint. I don't mind welding (if needed) buffing surface rust and rust proof the frame. In my 2 cases of rebuilding a Crosstour and Pilot, I did not do paint and body work on hood and fenders. I simply acquired undamaged parts from salvage that were already painted my color. If you know how to turn a wrench and rachet, you can bolt on a replacement door, bumper, hood or fender.
The worth?
Got a 87k mile 2012 Crosstour with a brand new set of tires for $5.5k. At the time, they were being sold for $11-12.5k.
Got a 19k mile 2017 Pilot new tires and all for $18.5k.
That is cool! And if you plan on driving the car till it falls apart that is great, but salvage title makes the car less valuable if it were to be in an accident or if you try to sell it.
I wish I had the skills and ability to do that kind of work especiall because you probably saved over $10,000 on the Pilot!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts