Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My year old car battery keeps dying. As in not even the fob works. I’m pretty sure it is the remote starter I had installed last Fall combined with the current lack of going out. But since the battery is this dead I figure I need a new one.

The dealer says 24F is the right size but the Costco app also lists a 35 AGM for the same year and model (pilot 2014). But the dealer can’t get them delivered due to covid. I was able to pick up one of each at a Costco which I can try to install but a local battery supply place said there are three levels of lead acid batteries and for a pilot touring (2014) I should get the highest level and not bother with the AGM as it wouldn’t fit anyway. Not sure what to do.

Can anyone confirm the battery needed is 24F and not the AGM 35? And any thoughts on the Kirkland batteries or going with another brand (the AGF 35 is Energizer).

Could the AGF be installed? I think I’d have to have a mechanic install it as the 2014 is not fitted for an AGM battery? I live up in Canada so winters are very cold. Thx for any help.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
It's a 24F. I had to do a little trimming on the plastic cover to get a perfect fit. Razor knife did the trick is seconds. Test-fit the cover on the bench before you drop the battery into the holder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry. Dies it take an AGF or a sealed leaded battery? I think both the ones I bought might be unsuitable?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The regular flooded-cells version is fine. The AGM investment doesn't pay back well enough to justify the 40-50% extra cost, per my calculator.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,266 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said. The 2014 doesn't need an AGM as it does not have the vast amount of electronics in it the newer versions require.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
If I were running a lot of accessories with the vehicle turned off or otherwise heavily taxing the electrical system I'd look at AGM. But I don't in any of my vehicles to I will stick with lead acid.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Important to know that while AGM is more tolerant of deep discharge, the CCA and AH capacity numbers don't go up in proportion to the cost. It will be just as dead if you run it low, takes the same or slightly more current to recharge after a dip. But will withstand more of those mistakes than a regular flooded-cell battery before it fails with shorted plates.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts