Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Touring with 182,000 km on it. I am planning on replacing the rear shocks and front struts. My question is do I stick with oem or go aftermarket? Anything else I should be changing like tie rod ends or bushings?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Tie rods are cheap and easy to do while you are in there, and statistically you are due. Replace the tie rods and ends. Look hard at the rear bushings on the front lower control arms. They are known to crack and leak, and might deserve replacement while you are in there. You can buy the whole lower control arms with both bushings for not a lot more, and just swap the whole things. A lot of this depends on how long you plan to keep the car. If you've only reached half of your expected ownership miles, it's easier to justify all the new bits. Wheel bearing would be on my PM list while everything else is apart too.

Others here are better versed in replacement damper choices than I am. I've had great results from Bilstein dampers on other cars, but don't fancy the firmer ride quality in the Pilot. The factory pieces are what I'm used to riding on, so I'd likely tend towards those myself. Anyway, the more experienced folks here will offer better guidance I'm sure.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
KYB is my go to brand. Never had an issue.
I'd inspect and replace anything rubber, If needed. Take some photos of anything questionable and post here. Will be glad to give an opinion.

·
Registered
113 Posts
There has been some issues with the KYB and Monroe strut mounts. KYBs and Monroe units are very good and folks recommend them.
In your case, rather than going through multiple RMAs, Either go with OEM (which is very expensive) or get the KYB units and change the front upper strut mount with OEM ones.
I second the other recommendation to change out the tie rod and also the LCA (front). The rear multilink is a bit more forgiving.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am a little fortunate that I work for a car dealership that owns a Honda dealership so I get staff pricing. I can get the front strut assemblies for a discount so I plan on sticking with OEM on everything I think.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,320 Posts
I am a little fortunate that I work for a car dealership that owns a Honda dealership so I get staff pricing. I can get the front strut assemblies for a discount so I plan on sticking with OEM on everything I think.
If I had a deep Honda discount, ya, that would probably pull me to OEM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.