Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start up my 2014 Pilot, the engine started ticking. This only happens when I cold start the Pilot and after about 5 minutes the ticking stops. It started after an old change a couple of weeks ago. Anyone have a idea what is going on?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
check your Oil level when cold and when Hot sounds like you are short on OIL .. also check the usual spots in case the filter and oil plug are leaking.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Record a video. Ticking when cold could be timing belt tensioner, valves, belt pulleys, lots of things.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
36 Posts
Can you clarify if sound comes from the top head of the engine or from the left side.

It can be tensioner or valves in my opinion.
Given you just changed oil, do you know what went inside of your engine (viscosity wise) and what oil filter they put in? If you don’t, I would replace it again but this time bring your own stuff and pay for labor or replace it yourself. Might be just a coincidence....

If it is tensioner, are you due to timing belt replacement.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If it started with an oil change, arrows point to the process and the oil used. If a too-thick oil was installed, it might take a bit for the oil to warm up and flow normally. VERIFY the viscosity of the oil that was installed. Plus the level as others recommend. 0W- and maybe 5W- oils are appropriate depending on climate. In most of the US, 0W- is the year round choice. Hot summer driving might deserve a look at a 5W-, but for the masses, stick with Honda's recommendation.

-----

Generally, when you can identify a symptom that "started when I did X", revisit "X" for clues that might relate it to the new symptom. Common question is "what did you work on last?", which you answered.

Share back your findings please.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My money is on the belt tensioner. I noticed it out of nowhere at 86k one day. Next week I drove it was louder and remained for 5 minutes in place of the previous week's 3 minutes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the oil change, the engine still ticks. The ticking is only at startup now until the engine gets warm. I only have 68k on the engine. Used the recommended oil weight from Honda and used full synthetic Mobil one. Going to check the belts and tensioner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts