Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had an intake installed and the engine light came on. Brought it back to the shop and they told me I need to get a Resister/Compensator/shunt to plug into the mass air flow sensor. And to ask a forum for advice on where to get one so here I am. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
I got one for my car and just thought it would be cool to get one for my pilot.
You know how to see if it really does anything right?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
Dyno runs. Before and after.
I actually doubt you'd see any gains at all.
As inferred, the stock intake IS really good.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Nope. The factory intake is more than sufficient. I share my punch list for a smooth running Honda V6 to everyone, start simple...
  • Disable the VCM. I use S-VCM
  • Air Filter New/Clean installed correctly box sealed
  • Air intake tube leak free clamps tight
  • Clean MAF. I use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner. Spray a few short bursts directly into the visible electrodes (no soaking), let dry.
  • Spark plugs New/Clean NGK Laser Iridiums or Ruthenium HX.
  • No oil in the spark plug tubes. If present, replace valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals. Replace intake manifold (plenum) gasket if doing valve cover job.
  • Coils clean of oil, firing properly
  • No O2 sensor related codes
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Replace EGR valve (if high milage with unexplained rough idle).
  • Use full synthetic 0w20 oil. No Extended Performance oil or blends.
  • Use top tier 87 octane fuel or use injector Cleaner regularly
  • Take the vehicle on some long highway speed drives.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
And so much for the "New members: ask here instead of starting new thread" thread.
Lots of good lost info in new members thread.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Well shit. Thanks everyone. Guess I'm getting the stock intake put back in tomorrow.
There is nothing wrong with them if you like the noise they produce, but it's been proven many times over that the benefits for aftermarket intakes is high in the rev range. I've done it on some vehicles, removed it on one because it droned really bad going up hills. If I had something with a manual that sounded good loud, I'd do it. But on my family wagons I keep them stock.

·
Registered
910 Posts
There is nothing wrong with them
Modern engines are designed for the entire intake plumbing system to work for resonance enhanced (tuned) optimized air ingest across rpm and load. The aftermarket solutions broadly ruin that symbiotic effort, it seems. Many somewhat to entirely whack the MAF performance; changing tube diameter, causing turbulent flow past MAF, etc.

You can easily compare factory and aftermarket flow relative performance, by plotting RPM/MAF and (and MAP for Pilot), and compare MAF flow curve and manifold pressure changes to ambient (key on, engine off).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts