Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 Pilot with 53K on it running just fine. Would just changing the plugs now mitigate any future VCM induced problem for another 50K? Or will plug fouling and side effects potentially occur anyway?
Thanks!

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
My 2014 Pilot with 53K on it running just fine. Would just changing the plugs now mitigate any future VCM induced problem for another 50K? Or will plug fouling and side effects potentially occur anyway?
Thanks!
I would pull cylinder #4 spark plug (front left). Is it wet, oily black. Compare to #5 and #6. Take photos, post your findings here. I don't believe anyone is escaping the negative effects of the VCM.

Reactions: Pilotown

·
Registered
179 Posts
Change plugs and run a muzzler. The muzzler really is the best option for the long term. I run it on both of my pilots. I actually got better mpg and no oil burn with the muzzler but I am sure that varies with type of driving.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have 96,000 miles on my 2015 and haven’t had any issues. I am not using a musler, and I haven’t replaced my plugs yet. So I don’t know what kind of issues y’all are talking about.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I’d (and did) install the S-VCM or VCM Tuner 2. If you don’t have oil consumption problems or misfires now, I see no reason to touch the plugs. They are designed to last 100k miles or so... changing them early for no reason is a waste.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I have 96,000 miles on my 2015 and haven’t had any issues. I am not using a musler, and I haven’t replaced my plugs yet. So I don’t know what kind of issues y’all are talking about.
VCM operation can cause oil loss, black fouled plugs, gunked valves, stuck rings and scare cylinder walls. In my opinion it's a major cause of P0420 and P0430 codes.
This is my 2012 Crosstour engine head after 200k miles. Note the darker oil deposits over cylinder #4.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
#4 definitely has a bit more carbon than 5&6. Is #4 usually the worst one or #3? Thanks for taking a look!
#3 & 4 for sure. Your photos are a classic example of the results of an active VCM. If you disable it, things will begin to clean up quickly. Your cats will work more efficiently and the black suit will lesson on the chrome of your tail pipe.
Use the same plugs, disable the VCM. The retake photos after a thousand miles or so.
Thanks for sharing. 👍

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
The negative effects of VCM aren't something easily solved after they start. I share the recommendations of others that you install one of the several easy solutions to VCM operation. Sooner rather than later.

With VCM active, the downed cylinder(s) draw oil. On next combustion, that oil risks detonation and broken rings. Then more oil gets in each time the VCM cycles. Now piston ring land damage too. Filally so much oil is passing that it's swallowing oil and chewing plugs. It's not pretty. Save yourself now! ;)

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
You can PM forum member "Verbatim" and get some buy-direct guidance. I'm satisfied with the VCMuzzler I installed way back when.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Get the svcm or vcm tuner 2. The muzzler isn't as good of a solution. It was great and verbatim was first to figure it out, but the other two have some real advantages like auto disable if the car starts to overheat (you may not see it with the muzzled) and you never have to worry about what resistor you’re using or it coming back on in traffic.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I have the VCMuzzler installed, put it in as soon as we bought our Pilot at 30k miles. IMO, the risks were not worth the reward. I saw a 1 MPG drop on the highway and no difference in town after deactivating VCM. Even if I didn't have the major issues some have had, I didn't like the slight vibrations and shudders I would feel while VCM was active and as the engine would go in and out of VCM.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts