Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I just purchased a 2014 Honda Pilot with 178,000km or 112,000 miles. I now it's a one owner vehicle but I don't know a lot of history. My local dealership said the transmission fluid was changed not too long ago. Any recommendations to get me started. this is my first Honda car but have owned and loved lots of Honda motorcycles. I have the touring model. I am a little sad there are no options to add Apple Car Play or even change out the head unit but other than that I really like it so far.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Hello,
Most crucial information you would want is, was the timing belt, water pump maintenance done at 105k miles?
Spark plugs should have been replaced at 100k. Insure no oil is leaking into the spark plug tubes.
Other basic maintenance...
Replace Air Filter
Clean the MAF. I use CRC Electronic Cleaner (or MAF Cleaner) remove and spray a few short burst directly into the electrodes. Let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
Replace PCV valve
Use 87 octane fuel or use injector Cleaner periodically.
I'd disable the VCM.
2wd or AWD?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for your reply. I am going to get the water pump and timing belt done right away along with the spark plugs. If there is oil in the spark plug tubes I assume I should replace the valve cover gasket and tubes? I think it's 4WD but honestly not 100% sure lol. How do I and why do I disable the VCM? Would you be looking at replacing any suspension components yet?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
I am going to get the water pump and timing belt done right away along with the spark plugs.
I recommend buying the Aisin Timing Belt Water Pump Kit (TKH002). These engines can also have problems with certain aftermarket spark plugs. I'd only use NGK Laser Iridiums or NGK Ruthenium HX. RockAuto is a trusted source. Enter this code for 5% off.
Piloteers 5% off on RockAuto Website
Good through February 12, 2021

31517DFA058403
If there is oil in the spark plug tubes I assume I should replace the valve cover gasket and tubes?
I would buy a Fel-Pro Valve Cover Gaskets, Grommets and Spark Plug Tube Seals set. Also on RockAuto.
I think it's 4WD but honestly not 100% sure lol.
This would likely be noted on the lift gate. It's important to know because there are other fluids that must be changed periodically.
How do I and why do I disable the VCM?
I use a device called S-VCM.
This device is installed on the engine temperature sensor and it tricks the ECU into a lower temp. At this lower temp, the VCM will not activate. It is important to know how this device works. Lots of info on this forum.
Would you be looking at replacing any suspension components yet?
I'd inspect my suspension. Struts are usually the first to go bad. But a clunking sound will usually be an indication of worn out struts.
Inspect brakes. Flush brake fluid.
I'd also want to know when the ATF was changed.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. these brands over OEM? I ask because I get staff pricing at my local Honda dealership.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Thanks for the info. these brands over OEM? I ask because I get staff pricing at my local Honda dealership.
NGK Laser Iridiums are the OEM spark plug. These can be bought outside the dealership.
Aisin has been an OEM supplier of parts to Honda and their kit is packed with OEM supplier parts. I've used their kits for years with no failures.
Kit contains...
Timing Belt - Mitsuboshi
Timing Belt Tensioner - Aisin
Tensioner Pulley - Koyo
Idler Pulley - Koyo
Water Pump - Aisin

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 03 with 178,000 has needed the entire front end rebuilt. Control arms, Sway bar links, inner and outer tie rod arms and struts.

but most important is to use a good rear seal leak stop. My rear seal is leaking 5 large drop circles every night.. better to treat it now than to have to drop the trani to get at the back of the engine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wondering if I should also replace the oil pump or anything else while doing the water pump and timing belt? I will make sure I have them replace the tensioner and pulley while doing the work.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
At 112k miles, the oil pump should be ok. Do you have any oil leaks? Especially under the timing belt cover?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I think I will have all of the following replaced but am I crazy to do all this at 180,000 km?
Timing belt, water pump, timing belt tensioner, timing belt pulley, idler pulleey, serpentine belt, serpentine belt tensioner, idler bearings, upper and lower radiator hose, thermostat, camshaft oil seal, camshaft sprocket, front crakshaft oil seal, crankshaft sprocket. IT will cost me around $2,200 canadian or around $1700 US

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Unless there is an oil leak, I wouldn't touch the cam and crankshaft seals until next time. I see no need to replace radiator hoses and thermostat unless there is a problem.
Have the spark plugs been replaced?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Spark plugs are done. I was only doing the seals because I was already in there and the labour and parts are very cheap considering. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Spark plugs are done. I was only doing the seals because I was already in there and the labour and parts are very cheap considering. Thanks.
I put 180k miles on my original serpentine belt tensioner. It could have gone further. So that may not be a have to thing unless it needs it.

·
Registered
11,439 Posts
Ok good to know I just want to cover myself and do what I should while I have them in there doing the t-belt.
I'd note that you do not have any oil leaks, if you begin noticing oil leaking around the timing belt area after the job, they need to fix. Photos go a long way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts