Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Piloteers,

I have a 2014 Honda Pilot EX-L with 171K miles on it. It is my mobile office.
I am having repetitive front wheel bearing issues. I have replace both sides twice in the last twelve months. I will drive 1-3 months and I start getting a grinding noise and it gets progressively worse. I have replaced the OEM bearings with Moog and Timken hubs and this keeps happening. I bought a set of Honda OEM bearings to replace them again and wanted to reach out to see if I am missing something that others may have experienced or if I just should bite the bullet and take it to the dealership and have them own the problem for a lot of money? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've had good luck with Timken personally. Make sure the mounting surface is free of rust, stake the axle nut and torque it properly, as this sets the bearing's preload. Don't just ram it on with an impact and call it good.

And the grinding could be from something other than the bearing, like a simple bent rotor shield. Have you checked the rest of the suspension?

·
Registered
164 Posts
In the corrado world, I’ve got 25yrs ownership/maintenance experience. The corrado will chew up bearings if the outer hub is tired and if that has been replaced the spindle is next on the replacement list but it’s very rare to need a new spindle. It’s usually the hub is tired.

I agree get good brand replacement parts.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Of coarse the torque spec/procedure is critical for bearings to last. One other item that my mechanic friends and I do is repack the sealed bearings before installing them with redline grease.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Can you describe your typical route and driving habits? It is not normal for the front wheel bearings to wear out so quickly. How are your tires wearing?
I bought my Pilot with 68k miles on the original hubs and still on them, though on very quiet roads at low speed I suspect I can hear bearings beginning to growl, but they are still dozens of thousand miles away from having to be replaced.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Considering that these are 1 piece unit bearing/ hub according to the SM ..they only last 12 months something is seriously wrong here .. Timkens are pretty very close if not almost OEM spec for Manufacturing.

I'm curious in to see what is causing the failures ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts