Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Iphone 12 connects just fine but when I get phone calls they don't ring inside the vehicle only on my phone. I also cannot answer them with the car I have to again use my phone. I have tried updating my phone and deleting it and repairing it again with no luck.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
My Iphone 12 connects just fine but when I get phone calls they don't ring inside the vehicle only on my phone. I also cannot answer them with the car I have to again use my phone. I have tried updating my phone and deleting it and repairing it again with no luck.
Do you have your iPhone linked to other bluetooth devices ... ear buds, speakers, etc. Is the car linked to other phones? You might want to try "forget this device" and repair without any other active bluetooth devices around. Make sure you're stopped.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny thing yes I do. I have hearing aids with bluetooth I will try disconnecting those and test it. It's just odd that it works with all other vehicles but mine.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,399 Posts
Just keep in mind, this was outdated technology when it came out and it is even more outdated at this point. On our 2013, it doesn't work well and is kind of a hassle to use.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
I don't have BT aids, but do have Apple Watch 5 (always) and AirPods Pro (sometimes) paired when the car is started. The pairing and response from the car varies, as sometimes it will ring and accept 'answer' from the car, sometimes not and then defaults to the watch. I haven't ID'd the pattern or root causes of the selection. If I place one of the AirPods after the car is started, they always grab the active BT connection and the car is disconnected. The watch is still active for display of call info. The phone itself always offers a selection of which BT connection to use, but I haven't tried to preset that before a call actually comes in.

Since the car was purchased, BT functionality with the iPhone has gradually fallen off. At this point, with IOS 14.nn, only the basic call functions happen via the car HFL interface. All the smart stuff like the phone's directory and call history info have not worked for the last few IOS revs. Making a call usually starts at the phone now, unless I use Siri to voice-dial or call from the contact list in the phone.

All that said, Apple has along history of "continuous improvement", and that has often included seriously stretching BT standards. For things like BT-linked hearing aids and now the AirPods, the 'stretching' has enabled a lot of functionality not available in the then-current BT standards. The standards get updated at some point, but since there's no practical way to update the BT stack in the HFL system, much of the original functionality is lost. I'm happy that it works for calls most of the time, still allows music/audio, but all the track selection, title display and such has gone away. Seems Apple has little to no interest in backwards compatibility with the earlier BT 'standards'.

It's progress, right?

·
Registered
692 Posts
These days, you are really expected to have CarPlay (or even wireless Carplay) in your car. And pretty much all recent models have it factory-installed. And about 99% of older cars that don't have it, can be upgraded either with a double-DIN head, or a single-DIN head with a 'floating' screen, or even a modular, where screen can be mounted anywhere on the dash and connect to singleDIN body via a cable.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Yeahbut...

As interesting as it might be to have CarPlay, I'm not sure there's a lot of benefit for me over what's in my Touring trim now, augmented by the phone in a wireless-charge holder by the middle display. So much is integrated with the entertainment stack already, I suspect I'd end up doing more damage than good trying to fit a third-party CarPlay-capable head unit in there.

The few times I've experienced CarPlay has been in rentals, where the handiest thing seemed to be a larger Nav display that duplicates what's on my phone screen. Some handy integration with steering-wheel controls, and the phone charged while connected. I did have to go scrub out all the connection and phone contact data that was copied into the CarPlay unit, but that's related only to the fact that they were rentals.

If the entertainment system performance wasn't so good in the Touring, I might be looking a lot harder at CarPlay options.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Funny thing yes I do. I have hearing aids with bluetooth I will try disconnecting those and test it. It's just odd that it works with all other vehicles but mine.
It probably works with other vehicles but not yours because the other vehicles probably aren't paired to your other devices. Make sure your car is paired to your iPhone, whatever you called it, i.e. Scorrpio's iPhone? Also, make sure your phone is connected to your car's HandsFreeLink. If it automatically connects to your other BT devices, either turn them off or select "Forget this connection." Everything on the iPhone BlueTooth Settings should show up as Not Connected EXCEPT your car's HandsFreeLink.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very interested to hear what, if anything, you do.

I'm in very much the same boat. Love my Touring, don't mind how things sound, wish I could do a lot more with my phone...

Yeahbut...

As interesting as it might be to have CarPlay, I'm not sure there's a lot of benefit for me over what's in my Touring trim now, augmented by the phone in a wireless-charge holder by the middle display. So much is integrated with the entertainment stack already, I suspect I'd end up doing more damage than good trying to fit a third-party CarPlay-capable head unit in there.

The few times I've experienced CarPlay has been in rentals, where the handiest thing seemed to be a larger Nav display that duplicates what's on my phone screen. Some handy integration with steering-wheel controls, and the phone charged while connected. I did have to go scrub out all the connection and phone contact data that was copied into the CarPlay unit, but that's related only to the fact that they were rentals.

If the entertainment system performance wasn't so good in the Touring, I might be looking a lot harder at CarPlay options.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
It was about $35 for the phone holder with QI charging capability. It places the phone on the right side of the center display, facing a little towards me. I can see and interact with the phone safely and easily. Siri will call apps, functions and displays, will read messages sent to me and take dictated replies pretty painlessly. If the only goal with CarPlay is duplicating phone functions on a bigger display... Get a bigger phone. Cheaper, easier, and is bigger all the time, even when you aren't in the car.

I don't spend enough time in the car at each use to make use of phone functions beyond calls, text messages and maps/Waze. All three of those relay through my smart watch, with voice calls offered through the HandsFreeLink first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts