Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am aware that I can't easily replace my headunit so I am not going to lol. Just wondering if I would notice any improvement by replacing the speakers?

Thanks!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Interesting question. On lower trims, there is a single pair of wires going out from audio unit/factory amp for each front. Tweeters are simply wired parallel to front woofers and wires branch off to the tweeters in rather inaccessible spots. With arrangement like that, one is far better off disconnecting dash tweeters and going with 2-way coax in-door woofers handling both mids and highs. Lower trims have a different model tweeter which, I believe, has a built-in high pass filter. Installing a component system properly here would require complete rewiring of the fronts.

On a touring, there are separate wires going out to tweeters from the amp, so I would imagine, factory amp handles the crossover and feeds mids to door woofers, and highs to the tweeters. A component speaker system comes with a crossover box that takes a single input and splits the signal out to woofer and tweeter, and is kinda tuned to specific frequency ranges of those. Technically, you can get a component system, replace tweeters and woofers, and just leave the crossover boxes unused. Another option, get separate speakers for your doors, and separately, a pair of tweeters for the dash.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts