Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #61
I was hoping you鈥檇 have better news for us.馃檨. Maybe when you take the Pilot out on the highway tomorrow you鈥檒l feel an improvement. Keep us posted on how it handles tomorrow.
Thank you, Road2cycle. Will be taking it out shortly.

Registered
Discussion Starter #62
Well, took car for a good 20 mile stretch on hwy. It is "somewhat" better, however still vibrates. On back roads, up to 35, nice and smooth. At 50-60 and higher, it is with much less vibration, but it is still there as the local Continental Service Rep told me it would be. Guess I need to shop for something, but was also wondering if it's worth having the suggested possibilities done, if covered under the extended warranty.. I think it's too involved and wonder how it would play out upon completion of the repairs, if they were in fact covered.

Registered
Perhaps your last ditch effort is to take the Pilot to a different Honda dealer, let them know the attempts which have been made to resolve the issue, and mention what the independent service shop suggested as possibilities. Ask if they will go with you on a freeway drive to confirm the vibrations before charging the typical diagnostic fee. After the freeway drive you can discuss what steps they are willing to take to resolve the issue and what components would be covered under the extended warranty if faulty components were identified.

I know that I鈥檝e mentioned that financially you鈥檇 probably regret dumping the Pilot, but I didn鈥檛 factor in the mental toll this ordeal has caused you.

Registered
Discussion Starter #64
Greatly appreciate your thoughts, road2cycle and the above is a very good suggestion I will take into consideration. Think I reached my limit with attempts. Don't really wish to see Pilot go. If I do follow your suggestion, I would use the dealer I purchased it from. Only issue is should I opt to trade it, they would know it has some issues and I don't wish for them to know. I am thinking of calling extended warranty myself and asking if those components are covered and go from there. Will keep you posted. Thanks again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #65
Well, I've been "quiet" for a few days on the page. No new progress, however am going to schedule appointment with the orig. shop vehicle was purchased in. Also requested from more local shop (and the one who's done all the repairs since Jan) to ask for Regional Rep to get involved. We'll see if it takes place. In the meantime, I did some further research on both Honda and Acura (as I was leaning towards trading to Acura). I just decided not to, for they apparently have the exact issues, complaints and lengthy attempts at same repairs as I have gone through, to no avail, and that makes me think twice, and may just go with plain old Chevrolet, Ford, or Buick. :) I am providing the following link should any of you wish to take a look regarding Honda Pilot Vibrations. ATSG BLOG-2012-2015 Honda Pilots Excessive Vibrations between 30 and 65 MPH. Although some of the blog dates back to 2006 and upwards, it's evident that this is a much bigger issue than Honda cares to think about, or cares to work with their customers. www.atsg.us/atsg/blog/hondapilotexcessivevibrations/
Will keep you posted if local service manager responds to my note on this and my request to involve Regional Rep. BTW-On the Accord page for this condition. one did have the rep come out. His response was like those in the past I got... "I can feel it, and we are aware of it, but it nothing, and safe to drive, nothing we can do about it." Very sad, and to know that it's affecting current Acura line, too. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #67
Thank you, Road2cycle. Will be taking it out shortly.
Perhaps your last ditch effort is to take the Pilot to a different Honda dealer, let them know the attempts which have been made to resolve the issue, and mention what the independent service shop suggested as possibilities. Ask if they will go with you on a freeway drive to confirm the vibrations before charging the typical diagnostic fee. After the freeway drive you can discuss what steps they are willing to take to resolve the issue and what components would be covered under the extended warranty if faulty components were identified.

I know that I鈥檝e mentioned that financially you鈥檇 probably regret dumping the Pilot, but I didn鈥檛 factor in the mental toll this ordeal has caused you.
Road2Cycle, an update- Finally had time to follow through on your suggestion and took car to another dealer (an hour away and from whom I bought the pilot originally), today. $118 to diagnose/diagnostics... something new I think. Anyway, they were very kind, did not wish to see the paperwork from local dealer at that time, had tech inspect undercarriage, and are stating they feel 99.5%, it's all tire related! The question of VCM vibrations was raised, and I had provided the link when I provided here, refering to this issue. They tell me the vibration caused by VCM issues, is extremly different in feeling when gas pedal is applied than a tire problem. They seem confident, but with all that's taken place since Jan, I'm a bit worried. That being said, I don't think I have any other options other than to trade and I am not ready to let Pilot go, until I know I've done all I can. As such, car will be going in on Friday to this new shope (Honda dealer), and Continental LX25's will be going on, along with balancing (hi spin) and alignment. Shop and I are hopeful, although Idon't mind saying, I'm a bit scared!! LOL Putting out more money and hoping Continental reimburses me via the dealer will take 2 to 3 months for refund of a promised 75% return to me. However, I have to pay dealer 100% and they submit claim to Continental, who writes a check to the dealer, who has to credit me (send me) a check for the 75%. Continental would not deal directly with my purchasing from them to avoid the money chase, and the dealer would not put themselves out as they've been hurt many times by other companies promising refund and it didn't happen. So, on Friday the Pilot goes in, and gets everything it needs for last attempt of survival. Dealer will give me loaner car as their shuttle doesn't come to where I live. They will call when ready to pick up. It's a gamble, but also a last attempt to rectify things and am hoping for the best. FYI- Dealer who's been working on this monthly since Jan, has not responded to emails or calls from me for the past 2 wks. Pretty upsetting, and feeling like they've screwed me with all they were doing and wondering if in fact they even did what they said they did, and all this time telling me it's not the tires, the car is fine, and to "live with it." I'll update for everyone once I have car for a day or two, although I should know if it's any better, upon the drive home. Thanks again for all your support.

Registered
Discussion Starter #68
Friday- "The Day of New Tires/Different Dealer." Hi Everyone- Well, today was the day.. Dealer where I bought car obtained Continental LX25's which XGS suggested in a prior note here. It is a step up from what was placed on car in Jan, via another Honda Dealer. They were $168/tire, $79.80 for Mt. and balancing, and 99.95 for 4 wheel alignment. .They wrote, "Test drove veh. @ high speeds, confirmed vehicle vibration. Diagnotics 2 days ago leads us to believe it is the tires, versus mechanical issues. Took car today upon owner dropping off, and road with tech, again agreed,it's the tires. New Continental LX25s placed on car. Client will pay in full and we will submit claim number with tires to Continental. In 30-60 days, Customer should expect reimbursement back from dealer as Continental must deal with dealer only."
I have been asked to drive it for a week, and see how it goes...There's little they can do at this point, and they admit there still is some vibration, but felt it is somewhat better. They would like me to get into Michelins, however at this point, that's not going to happen unless I try to sell these newest ones to the public and I'm not sure it's worth it.. especially when service rep said, most times, tires always have an issue, even Michelins, in balancing etc, .. Kind of like buying new shoes...IE: None, are perfect. I'm open to your thoughts, further suggestions etc. It is better, but I can't go pas 70mph with it.. and in Mass and New Hampshire (10 miles from my house, speed limit is 55, so .....) :O) I am hoping my anxiety will calm down and having done this final attempt, I can tell myself at least the car is "sound" mechanically, and that I have to just take it for what it is. I did not get the information on how far out of alignment it was prior to this, but find it odd that it could be out because it's been balanced at prior dealer since Jan, and then the Continental referal shop (see prior notes if not familiar with this issue), aligned it on the 26th of Sept and I don't use it other than around town, so no bumps per se... Perhaps, he was limited with what he could do, but again, I had to give the green light to this current dealer, it's their car (where I bought it) and it was my last attempt. Total bill $851.74 plus $118.00 earlier in week for "diagnostics." They did give me a brand new CRV to take home... I did not like it.. IT VIBRATED!!!! IT WAS LOUD, and I could never ride in it more than an hour a day... it was also very noisy. Just my take.. at least I won't consider that down the road. Thank you for following me and for all your help and thoughts. Each and everyone of you, got me through this and I hope you're happy with the info I can provide back to you, and hope it sounds "correct" to you. I'll keep you posted in a few days when I have a chance to ride around on the tires. Hopefully, the Pilot's been saved from a trade at 51K. :) (At least for now). Dealer was shocked that is all it had on it and in the condition it is. (clean/no damage). I'm still concerned about VCM issues, but they seemed confident that it's not that, and very sure it is just tires, in general. Not sure what to think as I don't know for sure, I just know it's done and I go forth from here . Thanks again.

Registered
Here鈥檚 to hoping the new tires turn out to be significantly better than the previous set. At this point slight vibrations will be a major upgrade over what you were dealing with. Keep us posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #70
Here鈥檚 to hoping the new tires turn out to be significantly better than the previous set. At this point slight vibrations will be a major upgrade over what you were dealing with. Keep us posted.
Yes, you're right. I'm awaiting return call/email from honda dealer as now that Continental is going to reimburse me, I'd like to see if dealer can give the newest pair (only 1 day old) back to vendor and I buy Michelins from them in place of Continental, since dealer is strongly suggesting this would make a difference. Will keep you posted.

Registered
Discussion Starter #71
Yes, you're right. I'm awaiting return call/email from honda dealer as now that Continental is going to reimburse me, I'd like to see if dealer can give the newest pair (only 1 day old) back to vendor and I buy Michelins from them in place of Continental, since dealer is strongly suggesting this would make a difference. I could not go directly to Michelins, as Continental would not stick to offer of 75% reimbursement. Asked if dealer would "try" a pair of Mich, to see if it would make a difference but he would have had to charge more labor etc, and I passed on that. Will keep you posted.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts