Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Are you still under drivetrain warranty on your 2014 Pilot? If any of the work which needs to be performed is warranty related then I can understand why you would let your Honda dealer handle the repairs. But if you will be out of pocket wherever you take it then I don’t understand why you would not take it to the tire shop that you feel comfortable at. In my opinion if the dealer couldn’t diagnose the issue (assuming the tire shop is correct) then I wouldn’t trust the dealer to perform the repair.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thank you, road2cycle. I have an extended warranty on the Pilot, which was 8 years, so it's giving me 3 more years. The warranty states "closest honda dealer or honda preferred shop." Totally agree with you, and as soon as this is wrapped up on Tues, I will be going to the shop Tire co. suggested. I stopped in today and they told me if honda can't resolve tire issue after this attempt, they will handle and they will speak to Honda America as well regarding allowing them to do whatever work needs to be done. They can also help me with the price of the Continental tires, far less in price, versus having to rebuy from Honda.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I’m guessing you have the
HondaCare warranty, so that makes sense why you would have to continue taking it to a Honda dealer unless they give you the go-ahead to take it to a third party shop.
Hopefully they can resolve the drivetrain issues and you can be done with the Honda dealer.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I’m guessing you have the
HondaCare warranty, so that makes sense why you would have to continue taking it to a Honda dealer unless they give you the go-ahead to take it to a third party shop.
Hopefully they can resolve the drivetrain issues and you can be done with the Honda dealer.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yes, it is a honda care extended warranty. I recieved a call from the service manager today, asking me if I had some time to go out with him in my car, and I made the time, so we could go on the highway. He agrees, there is something wrong, felt the vibrations betwwn 60-75MPH. Car going to Honda on Tuesday. They will provide rental at no cost, and plan to take care of this issue, the caliper on right rear, and differential, which the 3rd party shop found in 30 minutes, versus 9 months. Once they do this, we'll see if the Pilot runs properly, and if we can determine if the issue is indeed the tires, or if the issue was the above parts. Thanks for checking in. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I recieved a call from the service manager today, asking me if I had some time to go out with him in my car, and I made the time, so we could go on the highway. He agrees, there is something wrong, felt the vibrations betwwn 60-75MPH.
Is this the first time, since you've been trying to get the vibration problem solved, that anyone from the service department has gone out with you in the car so that you could demonstrate the problem to them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
No. Many times they have gone with me and tried to convince me that it was my imagination and that there was nothing wrong, that the vehicle was extremely tight and solid and that I could go from Massachusetts to California three times around with no issues. I find that hard to accept because I can't go five miles to the highway and go over 50 the car vibrates. It also pulls left which they tell me is the nature of the highways because of the pitch to allow the water to run off. I'm aware of that factor however this car has never pulled to one side until their last balance. I think their machines are not calibrated properly at this point, as I've switched lanes to see if it pulls left and it does. The service rep yesterday while driving, noticed it as well. I drove the car with him as passenger the first 10 miles, he drove on the return. Somewhat thinking of calling in the East Coast Honda District Rep, however, I'm reaching the point where it's just not all worth it anymore. Never had such an issue with any car. This is my first Honda. Had no problems until change of tires at 47K. Car will return to shop on Tuesday for the work the 3rd party shop found, do a complete balancing and present all reports of that to the service rep. They will also change one wheel rim they feel is slightly bent, and replace that. If we take the car out on hwy versus side streets, and it runs well, I'll be all set. If it still vibrates etc, then they feel it is safe to say it's the tires. We don't want to remove and replace until 100% sure, as tire company doubts its the tires, which if it is not, I would be out of pocket for 4 new tires. I guess it's a "Catch 22." :O)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No. Many times they have gone with me and tried to convince me that it was my imagination and that there was nothing wrong, that the vehicle was extremely tight and solid and that I could go from Massachusetts to California three times around with no issues. I find that hard to accept because I can't go five miles to the highway and go over 50 the car vibrates. It also pulls left which they tell me is the nature of the highways because of the pitch to allow the water to run off. I'm aware of that factor however this car has never pulled to one side until their last balance. I think their machines are not calibrated properly at this point, as I've switched lanes to see if it pulls left and it does. The service rep yesterday while driving, noticed it as well. I drove the car with him as passenger the first 10 miles, he drove on the return. Somewhat thinking of calling in the East Coast Honda District Rep, however, I'm reaching the point where it's just not all worth it anymore. Never had such an issue with any car. This is my first Honda. Had no problems until change of tires at 47K. Car will return to shop on Tuesday for the work the 3rd party shop found, do a complete balancing and present all reports of that to the service rep. They will also change one wheel rim they feel is slightly bent, and replace that. If we take the car out on hwy versus side streets, and it runs well, I'll be all set. If it still vibrates etc, then they feel it is safe to say it's the tires. We don't want to remove and replace until 100% sure, as tire company doubts its the tires, which if it is not, I would be out of pocket for 4 new tires. I guess it's a "Catch 22." :O) Once I get car back, the 3rd party shop (Continentals referral) wants to put it on their lift to make certain Honda did repair what he felt was the issue more than the tires and will take the car on highway as well for me. Anything at that point, I will let him handle as he is a Continental Gold Dealer and I know he will work with Continental to get me tires far less than the dealer and I would trust him more than the dealer at this point to replace/balance etc, if need be.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
It also pulls left which they tell me is the nature of the highways because of the pitch to allow the water to run off. I'm aware of that factor however this car has never pulled to one side until their last balance. I think their machines are not calibrated properly at this point, as I've switched lanes to see if it pulls left and it does.
If it's pulling to the left, then they should swap the front tires from side-to-side.
If it then pulls to the right, it's a tire problem.
Otherwise, something else is wrong.

Also, did they just balance the tires last time, or did they also rotate them?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
They balanced them as well as rotating, I believe. The most recent service rep was rather rude when talking with me and simply said, "This is all we can do. I don't want to see the car anymore!" Service manager, reassigned me to young service rep, who's now the current one, and the same one who called me yesterday to see if we could take car out together. I will keep your thoughts on swapping tires sideways for Tuesdays appointment. Thank you.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
The most recent service rep was rather rude when talking with me and simply said, "This is all we can do. I don't want to see the car anymore!"
What the service rep was really saying is that "This is all we can do. Since there is nothing more we can do to your car to charge you more money, I won't be earning any more commission by trying to help you. So get lost."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
What the service rep was really saying is that "This is all we can do. Since there is nothing more we can do to your car to charge you more money, I won't be earning any more commission by trying to help you. So get lost."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
He can say what he wants, however the service department has to deal with some embarrasement by his words and their negligence in not picking up the concerns a 3rd party shop found. This Rep works 4 days on and 4 days off. I will not take the car (nor myself) in, on his work days. Tuesday, the car will go in, and we'll see what comes of it. I no longer deal with prior Rep, but you're also correct in your thoughts. Certainly not pleased with Honda service department and hopefully will be done with them this upcoming week.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hello Piloteers! I'm back with an update! Car went to Honda dealers this morning. 5pm EST, shop called to tell me the following: No alignment necessary. The looked at brake pads, they were fine. They finally looked under the engine, and found "supposedly" motor mounts loose, and "suggested" possible, the issue. New Mounts will be in come morning. Cost: $1000. Under honda extended warranty, $100. I gave the ok to proceed, as we have to get to the bottom of this 9 month ordeal. The left differential appeared to be fine. (If you remember, the 3rd pty shop felt it may be loose). They told me not due for differential oil change for another 10K. Car has 50K. They are thinking possibly brake drag, which is what the 3rd pty shop them. Tomorrow's plan is for them to replace a rim, or sand down original which has a slight bend in it, do the engine mounts, and check right rear caliper (which 3rd pty shop mentioned to them). I am in a rental.... LOL... Toyota Corolla.. might as well be in a VW bug! LOL There you have it. Will see what transpires tomorrow. It truly upsets me to know it's taken 9 months of not only my time but theirs, that one of their front desk reps who was handling all of this was let go, that his replacement is an older man, and one who's obviously tired of his job, as he told me last week not to bring the car in anymore, that he did not want to see it, and told me nothing wrong with the car!. It was only this younger tech who overheard the conversation, who told the service manager, he likes challenges and he would work with me. I'm thankful he has this past week and through all of this, but once this is done, I am done with this dealer and will service car through 3rd pty shop recommended by Continental Tire rep. He can work with the warranty company to some extent. Only problem is he is just 4 miles from Honda Dealer, and the warranty says at least 21 miles distance from closest shop. Above all, I just want this behind me and I may push the service manager to pick up my deductible given the manner in which the old man rep, spoke to me. Hoping the above work resolves the issue. They do not feel the tires are the issue just yet. Once mounts are done, and calipers/break drag is checked, if pilot continues w/vibes, then it can only be the tires at that point. Thanks for checking in and being there! Greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Glad to hear that the young tech took on the challenge and that the Honda dealer is working with you to resolve the problem. I’m hoping you get good news tomorrow that it’s fixed and you can enjoy a smooth ride.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Glad to hear that the young tech took on the challenge and that the Honda dealer is working with you to resolve the problem. I’m hoping you get good news tomorrow that it’s fixed and you can enjoy a smooth ride.
Thanks so much.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Greetings! After 2 days with car in Honda shop, I am being told they replaced Engine Mounts which were loose...who knows. $1000, however they did call prior to doing this work & told me covered under extended warranty with $100 deductible. In Jan, they told me a rim was a little bent... today, they cannot tell what rim it is!! :O) Rear brakes are all fine, no brake drag, and differential is fine. It is 4:20 pm EST, and they are now taking car out for a road test, however need to get speeds to 65 and rush hour may prevent it. They would like to keep car another day. I am declining. I'm done with them and will make appointment with the shop Continental Tires originally sent me to, as we still have to determine if it's tire related or not. I will post once I hear how their test drive went.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Greetings! After 2 days with car in Honda shop, I am being told they replaced Engine Mounts which were loose...who knows. $1000, however they did call prior to doing this work & told me covered under extended warranty with $100 deductible. In Jan, they told me a rim was a little bent... today, they cannot tell what rim it is!! :O) Rear brakes are all fine, no brake drag, and differential is fine. It is 4:20 pm EST, and they are now taking car out for a road test, however need to get speeds to 65 and rush hour may prevent it. They would like to keep car another day. I am declining. I'm done with them and will make appointment with the shop Continental Tires originally sent me to, as we still have to determine if it's tire related or not. I will post once I hear how their test drive went. The rental car is terrible! Oil warning light on (imagine if I had to travel??? I would turn the car in).. it's a toyota corolla, only 14K miles on it and sounds like it's on its last leg! :O) Guess that's the best Honda can do for rental.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts