Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need some serious help. 2014 Honda PIlot LX. OEM tires (Continental) taken off at 47K). Dealer recommended Conti Pro contact. This has been the worst move ever with tires! Bought in Nov 2018, & by Jan, 2019, every month this car has been in to have it rebalance/realigned, and spin balanced. Every month, literally, I have sat there for 4 hours waiting them to "fix" the situation. This car rides like a bronco bull... seriously, it rides very choppy and the tires in the rain, have no control, as if on ice. I live in the Boston area, suburbs. Dealer assures me nothing wrong and it also continues to lean left which it did not, prior to this last attempt to balance. I am handicapped, rely on this vehicle for daily use. Currently 50K. Service dept will not help me any further, and service manager fails to return calls, or acknowledge emails and my many notes each month taking it in. I have asked since Jan, to remove and replace w/something else. They tell me they cannot do this and the months are passing us by. Any recommendations or suggestions greatly appreciated. Being female, if I go elsewhere to have tires replaced, what options do I have with these as far as selling? I have no place to store. I'm looking for something far less choppy, comfortable, not noisy, and good in rain and snow. I hate to purchase another car as I just finished paying off this one, but I am at a loss and the service rep who finally was willing to help me in June, was "terminated," thus they made excuses that our conversations etc, never took place! Do i go to small claims court for reimbursement of tires if I purchase new ones? Can I sell these and if so, any recommendations as to how to do so is greatly appreciated. I feel very unsafe and uncomfortable in the car and am at a loss. Thank you in advance for any and all help/thoughts/suggestions. This is not an abused vehicle. Some hwy driving, mostly around town driving, but issues are only felt at 60mph and above on hwy. I keep looking for the warning lights to tell me I'm in trouble! Again, thank you so much. Gail

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Do you have it in writing that you requested the tires to be changed out within the first 60 days you owned them? Continental has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee with an exchange clause.

If the dealer will not help you out you can either try contacting Continental directly or go to a reputable tire shop and see if they can resolve the balancing issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have it in writing that you requested the tires to be changed out within the first 60 days you owned them? Continental has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee with an exchange clause.

If the dealer will not help you out you can either try contacting Continental directly or go to a reputable tire shop and see if they can resolve the balancing issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a few emails from January about my concerns, I can forward to Continental. Was not aware of the 60 day policy.. Appreciate the info and will try contacting Continental on Monday. If they can't help me, I will do as you suggest and take to a tire place. Thank you for responding.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I hope you are able to work it out and Continental makes it right for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have it in writing that you requested the tires to be changed out within the first 60 days you owned them? Continental has a 60 day satisfaction guarantee with an exchange clause. If the dealer will not help you out you can either try contacting Continental directly or go to a reputable tire shop and see if they can resolve the balancing issues.
I hope you are able to work it out and Continental makes it right for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Road to Cycle,
Here's my update. Continental Gal was very nice and very unhappy that dealer kept me busy for 9 months of rotations, alignments and rotations, alignments. Dealer insisted car go to shop and leave for the day.. I did not comply as I felt no need for anymore rotations/alignments, and as it was, dealer had planned to just let it sit for the day until Continental rep called him and asked for DOT, thread depth, mileage when bought & mileage now. I was there in the morning to leave the car for the day and my gut said not too. Service manager never came out to even introduce himself. I had them at least change the oil which was due next week and took car home. Called Continental late afternoon to make sure Service manager called and he did. However, he's yet to get back to me. Continental Rep was different this time and not at all friendly, telling me they would pay for 75% of one tire as a "good will" offer, and the rest was on me, that dealer had to return the 4 tires and if and only if they were all vibrating (testing would take 6-8 wks at a lab), they would reimburse me. I am in Massachusetts. I paid sales tax first time around and would have to do so again. 8%. Where dealer has yet to call to advise, I'm uncertain if this is a good option or not. My gut says go elsewhere, take the tires off and sell them and put another set on, but I don't know. The other option is thinking of trading it. It only has 50800 on it and its been good thus far for me, fully dealer maintained. I know I could sell outright, however in todays world, just not safe to do and you never know if it will come back to haunt you. I plan to call Continental (hopefully get someone else) and ask if we can only replace one tire w/o buying another set. Basically, the situation continues and not too favorable. I am certain, Continental will say there is no issue after they run it through the lab, and then I'm out $1000 plus sales tax. Thoughts appreciated and thank you.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Road to Cycle,
Here's my update. Continental Gal was very nice and very unhappy that dealer kept me busy for 9 months of rotations, alignments and rotations, alignments. Dealer insisted car go to shop and leave for the day.. I did not comply as I felt no need for anymore rotations/alignments, and as it was, dealer had planned to just let it sit for the day until Continental rep called him and asked for DOT, thread depth, mileage when bought & mileage now. I was there in the morning to leave the car for the day and my gut said not too. Service manager never came out to even introduce himself. I had them at least change the oil which was due next week and took car home. Called Continental late afternoon to make sure Service manager called and he did. However, he's yet to get back to me. Continental Rep was different this time and not at all friendly, telling me they would pay for 75% of one tire as a "good will" offer, and the rest was on me, that dealer had to return the 4 tires and if and only if they were all vibrating (testing would take 6-8 wks at a lab), they would reimburse me. I am in Massachusetts. I paid sales tax first time around and would have to do so again. 8%. Where dealer has yet to call to advise, I'm uncertain if this is a good option or not. My gut says go elsewhere, take the tires off and sell them and put another set on, but I don't know. The other option is thinking of trading it. It only has 50800 on it and its been good thus far for me, fully dealer maintained. I know I could sell outright, however in todays world, just not safe to do and you never know if it will come back to haunt you. I plan to call Continental (hopefully get someone else) and ask if we can only replace one tire w/o buying another set. Basically, the situation continues and not too favorable. I am certain, Continental will say there is no issue after they run it through the lab, and then I'm out $1000 plus sales tax. Thoughts appreciated and thank you. I meant to add- Continental did confirm as you stated, a 60 day return policy, however since it's past, they cannot honor. However, they do have a years warranty on the tires, and I guess in this instance, if they found the tires to be vibrating etc, this is where they would refund me the first $1000. Not sure though. Tomorrow, dealer will call to provide this info, and I'm not happy with the "unknown" of that first $1000 plus tax, as I just feel Continental will not return it. Thanks again! Greatly appreciate your thoughts and taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
At this point your best bet may be to take the Pilot to a reputable tire shop that can also check your alignment and suspension components. You could ask them what they would give you for trade-in on the tires, if they don’t find anything wrong with the tires/suspension/alignment.

I think trading the Pilot is a drastic emotional move which will be a huge financial mistake.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Got to this site, input your zip code, select a search radius of 20 miles and find a tire shop with a Hunter road force wheel balancer: https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Preferably choose a shop that sells Continental tires.

Have the wheels re-balanced and get a print out from the machine that shows the measured road force for each tire.
Ask them to check if any of the tires need to be re-positioned on the wheel to achieve minimum road force.
If any of the tires read more than about 15 lbs., that tire may need to be replaced.
You could also try putting the two tires with the lowest values of road force on the front to see if the situation improves. But, that would just be a temporary solution until the next tire rotation.
If all of your tires have low measured road force, then the tires are unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

Next, find a different Honda dealer in your area from the one you've been using: https://automobiles.honda.com/tools/dealership-locator
Choose one located near a highway where you can legally drive at 60 mph and above.
Insist that the service advisor (or technician) go with you on a test drive so that you can demonstrate to them exactly what problem you are experiencing and tell them that is what you want diagnosed and repaired.
When you pick up your vehicle, again go on a test drive with the same service advisor (or technician) to confirm that the repair was successful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you very much XGS. I have printed out your note and will try to work with the info. provided asap. Will update accordingly. Appreciate your time and effort, greatly.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At this point your best bet may be to take the Pilot to a reputable tire shop that can also check your alignment and suspension components. You could ask them what they would give you for trade-in on the tires, if they don’t find anything wrong with the tires/suspension/alignment.

I think trading the Pilot is a drastic emotional move which will be a huge financial mistake.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, road2cycle. I will follow up on your suggestion asap. Greatly appreciate all the support here. I realize trading the Pilot is a big concern, but sometimes, you just want to be free of all the stress and frustrations, and time taking to resolve, etc. I'll keep you updated. Thanks again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, Piloteers, the "Saga" continues and I'm getting more determined with all your support and thoughts! :) Yesterday, I spoke with a rep. from Continental Tire Company once again. Dealer was telling me I would be reimbursed 100%@ 3 tires, and 75%@ one tire, per his conversation with another rep at Continental. I called Continental and asked for the Rep, I had been speaking with through all this, and was assured, this was not accurate. IF, and ONLY IF, the tires fail Continental's vibration test (6-8 wks), would I then be granted the above refund. Otherwise, I'm out pocket. She felt bad, and said she would step "outside the warranty" and offer a guaranteed 50% on all 4 tires. I have not responded as much transpired and I feel like I'm getting brain dead, as it's been 9 months back and forth w/dealer and now this "compensation" issue, and being female (I hate to say it, but I don't think any of this would have gone on this long had I been a male). :) (No offense, guys). Continental suggested a shop which ended up 3 miles from my house and considered a "Gold Dealer" for Continental. He deals totally in the Continentals, and so much so, they made him a "Goldie." I went there w/o them knowing I was coming. They were the most polite shop I've been to, listened to this situation, took the car out for short ride, came back and got me while they placed car on lift. RIght Differential was loose and rotating freely, versus the left. (Right Rear). Right Rear caliper registered 20 degrees warmer than all 3 tires. He feels the tires are not the issues, looked at them very carefully, and told me he had a honda accord with same issues, and his car dragged in the same manner and vibrated, shuddered the same. He was sure this was the cause, and set up an appointment for Monday. However, when I came home, I called Honda's Service Manager and Rep, and spoke to both of them on conference call and advised of this. They urged me to take it to this shop and continue with the shop....... NO NO NO.... My brain told me I would not involve a 3rd party shop (whom I'll take my car to from now on), to get involved, as it's too easy for Honda to point fingers saying i went to another shop, etc. I canceled the appointment with the 3rd party and explained I did not want them involved even though the cost would be far less than Honda. I am taking the car back to Honda on Tues for the above work and a "fix"-grinding? to one of the rims which is slightly bent. Honda will not provide rental as they want the car for the day..I am fighting for a rental. I no longer trust Honda, and was also told by my current rep that prior rep did not want anything to do with me because I kept returning for 9 months and nothing is "wrong with her car, or the tires!" Their own tire tech told me just as recent as last week (car was on lift), there was nothing wrong and to "believe" him, and here it is 4 days later, a 3rd party shop finds these issues. Third party shop can't guarentee the issues will be resolved completely, but at least acknowledged at the current time, there's an issue which very well could be the proximate cause of 9 months pain and agony over tires and with shop.Wrapping this journal up, Tuesday, I will bring and leave the car. I will expect a rental despite their telling me they cannot provide one, and then we will figure out the tire situation a few days later, when I can get in on hwy to road test, before deciding under duress what I want to do with the tires... as I don't want to risk paying out $1000 for tires again if it's not the tires. There's your update I promised! :O) Thanks for being there! Greatly appreciated your thoughts, time and help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got to this site, input your zip code, select a search radius of 20 miles and find a tire shop with a Hunter road force wheel balancer: https://www.hunter.com/gsp9700
Preferably choose a shop that sells Continental tires.

Have the wheels re-balanced and get a print out from the machine that shows the measured road force for each tire.
Ask them to check if any of the tires need to be re-positioned on the wheel to achieve minimum road force.
If any of the tires read more than about 15 lbs., that tire may need to be replaced.
You could also try putting the two tires with the lowest values of road force on the front to see if the situation improves. But, that would just be a temporary solution until the next tire rotation.
If all of your tires have low measured road force, then the tires are unlikely to be the cause of the problem.

Next, find a different Honda dealer in your area from the one you've been using: https://automobiles.honda.com/tools/dealership-locator
Choose one located near a highway where you can legally drive at 60 mph and above.
Insist that the service advisor (or technician) go with you on a test drive so that you can demonstrate to them exactly what problem you are experiencing and tell them that is what you want diagnosed and repaired.
When you pick up your vehicle, again go on a test drive with the same service advisor (or technician) to confirm that the repair was successful.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
xGS, I did follow through on your advise and had another appointment scheduled for a Honda Dealer 20 miles from me. However, if you see my post of 9/12, you'll see why I canceled it. I'm glad I did, only in the sense I don't know if they would have been as quick to discover what the referral shop from Continental did, and he was 3 miles from my house! Thanks again. Greatly appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Are you still under drivetrain warranty on your 2014 Pilot? If any of the work which needs to be performed is warranty related then I can understand why you would let your Honda dealer handle the repairs. But if you will be out of pocket wherever you take it then I don’t understand why you would not take it to the tire shop that you feel comfortable at. In my opinion if the dealer couldn’t diagnose the issue (assuming the tire shop is correct) then I wouldn’t trust the dealer to perform the repair.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts