Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a 2014 Pilot and my wife {who is a little short) finds it a little difficult to get in and out off. Our old 2008 Pilot had a running boards/side steps that made it a lot easier for her so I guess I'm going to have to get a set installed.
These are the 2 sets I'm considering but am having a really hard time deciding on which one.
Does anyone have either of these on their Pilot ? And also wondering what is the difference between a running board and a sidestep ? Are there any positives or negatives between the 2 sets ? Thanks !

08L33-SZA-100A - Side Steps
08L33-SZA-101E - Running board

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
We have the premium running boards ( ...-101E) and they compliment the truck nicely.

Recommend!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Running boards tend to fit flush to the side of the vehicle whereas side steps have more of a "floating" look.

Although not on your list, I highly recommend the lighted running boards 08L33-SZA-100C - we have these on our 2014 EX-L and we really like the integrated look, the black goes well with the obsidian blue color and the lights are actually pretty bright and functional.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks for the help guys, appreciate it ! We decided on the 101e and I just ordered them. I think we’ll be happy with them and my wife will have an easier time getting in and out of the vehicle.
Sorry I didn’t see the 100C running boards before I ordered.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually,where the vehicle is all black I’m hoping the chrome 101E might add a little contrast to the vehicle...but it’s mainly the practicality I’m mainly interested in not the looks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We just purchased a 2014 Pilot and my wife {who is a little short) finds it a little difficult to get in and out off. Our old 2008 Pilot had a running boards/side steps that made it a lot easier for her so I guess I'm going to have to get a set installed.
These are the 2 sets I'm considering but am having a really hard time deciding on which one.
Does anyone have either of these on their Pilot ? And also wondering what is the difference between a running board and a sidestep ? Are there any positives or negatives between the 2 sets ? Thanks !

08L33-SZA-100A - Side Steps
08L33-SZA-101E - Running board

Is your wife handicapped? Honda was offering a MOBILITY allowance on a "hidden" web page. I got mine as it was difficult to get into the car for myself, and honda covered it. Shop and shop manager didn't know of such a page and were very surprised when I brought the document to them. It does need to be signed by a dr, but if she has knee issues etc, arthritis etc, may be of benefit. You do have to scurry around on their page, or maybe google "honda mobility" program. good luck.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
We have the 101E boards on our black '12 Touring. IMO, they look great. They came on the car, because I bought it as a CPO. It was really a dealer demo, but they sold it as a CPO.

My wife is only 5'1" and my mother-in-law who is in her 80s is even shorter. Both are able to get in and out no problems. I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I highly recommend the lighted running boards 08L33-SZA-100C - we have these on our 2014 EX-L and we really like the integrated look, the black goes well with the obsidian blue color and the lights are actually pretty bright and functional.
how hard is it to install and integrate the lighting feature? I installed some like these on my Dodge Durango years ago and spent a day splicing wires...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
The factory boards have two threaded inserts that need to be installed in the tub, one on each side. The 8mm threaded inserts are commonly called "riv-nuts" or "nut-serts". There are dedicated tools available for setting those, but also some interesting DIY workarounds using hardware-store pieces to get them secured in place correctly. Search here in the forum for "riv-nuts" and you find plenty of advice.

The lighting install is routing and a plug-in to available sockets hidden by the kick-panel covers next to driver and passenger foot spaces, plus the sill cover that snaps off. You'll probably want to use plastic trim removal tools so the fasteners don't get damaged and you don't mar the covers. Many online Honda parts departments like College Hills Honda have the actual installation instructions available for a look or download. The details of the lighting wiring install are there, with good accurate diagrams suitable for most DIY installers.

After doing this install myself, the only thing that surprised me is that Honda didn't install the last couple inserts when they formed the tub. The rest of it is literally placing bolts and simple harness routing and plug-in. Maybe they wanted to keep it just tough enough that folks would always pay their dealer for the work.

·
Registered
237 Posts
how hard is it to install and integrate the lighting feature? I installed some like these on my Dodge Durango years ago and spent a day splicing wires...
This video is a complete install of the 2009-2015 OEM lighted running boards.

It's a fair amount of labor, especially if you've never done it before, but once it's all done it's like a factory install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts