Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Waiting to hear back from insurance/shop to see if it’s a total loss.
2014 Touring w/ 114k mikes......airbags did not go off!!!
Radiator did not hit the engine.
I couldn't tell if it hit the crossover piece of the frame.
I owe $18k on it and have GAP insurance luckily.
What do you guys think??

8D51AB29-6667-4413-92FE-F5C9B7FA9E32.jpeg
9413926B-2190-490F-95EF-D0406DFEEE28.jpeg
4E94E6FA-FE6E-40FA-8DDD-D0A1EA5B055F.jpeg
86B85581-7299-425D-B935-82E02B63E254.jpeg

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
293 Posts
Waiting to hear back from insurance/shop to see if it’s a total loss.
2014 Touring w/ 114k mikes......airbags did not go off!!!
Radiator did not hit the engine.
I couldn't tell if it hit the crossover piece of the frame.
I owe $18k on it and have GAP insurance luckily.
What do you guys think??

View attachment 142125 View attachment 142126 View attachment 142127 View attachment 142128
Dont text while you are driving. That is the first thing I would start with. Just kidding.
Does not look that bad. I think they will repair,

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm guessing it will be fixed, unless the frame is damaged. I've seen our body shop fix many what appeared to worse.
Cool, thanks for the input!

Dont text while you are driving. That is the first thing I would start with. Just kidding.
Does not look that bad. I think they will repair,
Seriously.....😖
Best thing, no one was hurt.

Th other good thing is I have it at a Honda Dealership for repair as I figured they would do it right and/or hopefully with OEM parts and know the vehicle better.

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
293 Posts
Cool, thanks for the input!

Seriously.....😖
Best thing, no one was hurt.

Th other good thing is I have it at a Honda Dealership for repair as I figured they would do it right and/or hopefully with OEM parts and know the vehicle better.
I was only joking. We need levity, can not always be serious.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm guessing it will be fixed, unless the frame is damaged. I've seen our body shop fix many what appeared to worse.
Total loss.
A couple of my car buddies said the same.
It's gonna depend on the value they place on it vs cost to fix obviously.
My insurance agent told me in Ohio, if it's 80% of the value of the car to fix, its a loss.

·
Administrator
15,578 Posts
I would expect that it needs an entire front clip. That not an unusual repair, but it takes alot of time to do right. If its an $18,000 value, not knowing if there is a state law in place governing what is a total loss, Say easy $10k of not more. Salvage value hard to determine. So I'll go for repairable, but don't be disappointed if it isn't. Insurer will likely OK tear down before determining full extent of repair needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
That is Canadian Dollars, in USA, $68.70
To be honest, I would rather write off the car.
They are never right after these repairs, never mind how good the shop is.

I agree with this.

If the insurance company wants to fix it, make sure you request compensation for diminished value from your insurance company.

Hopefully they total it.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I would expect that it needs an entire front clip. That not an unusual repair, but it takes alot of time to do right. If its an $18,000 value, not knowing if there is a state law in place governing what is a total loss, Say easy $10k of not more. Salvage value hard to determine. So I'll go for repairable, but don't be disappointed if it isn't. Insurer will likely OK tear down before determining full extent of repair needed.
This is a closer estimate. The damage will be more than 50% of the vehicles value. Again, the vehicle has 114k miles.
Start looking for another Pilot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That is Canadian Dollars, in USA, $68.70
To be honest, I would rather write off the car.
They are never right after these repairs, never mind how good the shop is.
That’s where I’m torn. I want to keep it but will it be all jacked up, especially the paint...not like the factory paint job.

So, there’s a whole other side issue that may be a problem too. The goofy tow truck driver came with a regular tow truck....not a flatbed! I wasn’t 100% sure about it with the Pilot at the time (I knew Subaru's needed a flatbed) and I told him it was a 4wd vehicle and even asked if he needed a flatbed. He had it up and drove a few feet watching the rear wheels turn and said it’s fine. It was in Park too! I asked him do you need it in Nuetral.....nope. How does it even roll being in Park?!?!
I was sort of a daze/disbelief at the time.......this was my first accident ever.....I'm 51 years young! ;) So I was thinking, OK, you're the expert, if it gets jacked up you’re gonna pay for it and he took it about 10 miles to the dealer.
I called and told the body shop about it and told my insurance company about it after seeing in the manual it needed a flatbed....the body shop said they’d check it out. :cautious:
What will that do to the truck, towing it like that? Hurt the tranny, the diff, both????? :sick:

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
944 Posts
If they do decide to repair it I'd ask for diminished value compensation as well.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD
523 Posts
Did some slow moving object jump in front of you?
I'm not perfect, but I know that most accidents are from people following WAY too close, in all conditions.
How does/did that happen?
I only ask so maybe it will help me avoid it.
I'm glad you're OK.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did some slow moving object jump in front of you?
I'm not perfect, but I know that most accidents are from people following WAY too close, in all conditions.
How does/did that happen?
I only ask so maybe it will help me avoid it.
I'm glad you're OK.
Thank you!
It was a combination of me following too close, assuming traffic was flowing and just not paying attention. Like I said, it’s my first accident and I really feel like a dirtball........very irresponsible of me!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts