Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of the blue, my battery needs jumped with no engine warning lights or codes when hooked to a reader. I drove it to the dealer and got a quote for close to $800 saying that the alternator isn't doing well. Another shop quoted a similar price but the alternator tested fine.

Any thoughts? It could be due, I have 115k miles.

·
Registered
294 Posts
These are the going rates for alternator replacement. You can do the job yourself, but you do have to remove a lot of stuff to get to the darn thing. Your mileage is when they often go.... mine went at about 97K. But others may last 200K+ so there are no hard rules.

If the battery is even the slightest bit suspect, I'd replace it first - they're relatively cheap, easy to replace, and are a consumable that can fail early, especially if the car sits for long periods and/or is used for lots of short trip in cold weather. If this solves your issues, then you're done. If not, then you have further troubleshooting, the biggest just seeing if the alternator is putting out around 14.5V with the engine revving. There's also some easy checks to run to see if you're getting AC on the output indicating rectifier issues (which is integral to the alternator). Another thing to do is simply to drive the car with every accessory you can think of turned on and see if you get a warning light.

But always in these sorts of things.... eliminate the battery as the problem first.

- Mark

·
Registered
603 Posts
How old is your battery?

Make sure your terminals are clean and secure, with no corrosion.

What does "isnt doing well" mean? My experience with alternators is that they either output enough charging voltage to maintain/recharge the battery and run the vehicle operations, or they don't. Put a meter on the battery, it should read ~12.6V with no load. Turn the headlights on, and check again, should only see a very small voltage drop. Then turn everything off, crank the engine, the alternator running should show between 13.8V and 14.2V. Then turn the headlights, fans, radio (whatever you got) back on, and check the voltage drop. It should not drop below 13.5V with a load.

Reactions: Rocky

·
Administrator
15,580 Posts
If the alternator isn't charging you'll see a big red battery warning light on your dash.

I like what boom says.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Out of the blue, my battery needs jumped with no engine warning lights or codes when hooked to a reader. I drove it to the dealer and got a quote for close to $800 saying that the alternator isn't doing well. Another shop quoted a similar price but the alternator tested fine.
Any thoughts? It could be due, I have 115k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2015 pilot is doing the same thing. I had the battery checked after the first time it happened and it checked perfect. After the second time we did the youtube thing and seen a post that said the ac relay goes bad quite often on pilots, where they stick open and drain the battery. It’s cheap so I’m trying it soon and I will post my results..

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Bic --

Five years is a pretty typical lifespan for a car battery. It's less in very hot or cold climates. A tired battery may still start the car, but the alternator has to work overtime at hard-labor effort level to try and recover a tired batter after starting. Based on your descriptions here and in your jump-starts posts, I think you are ready for a new battery.

Know that there are a few simple tests that help tell you that a battery is tired, all of them subjective. How fast does voltage drop with a known load added, stuff like that. Meanwhile, the chemistry is a more accurate indicator. Grab a specific-gravity tester at your handy parts store, and use it to check the electrolyte in each of the six cells. Yes, you'll need to pry some on the vent covers, but they do come off. The cheap testers ($few) are fine, and give you colored balls inside a medicine dropper. If the green ones don't float withe samples from every cell, go shopping. If there are any yellow ones that don't float, replace the battery immediately.

In my experience, replacing the battery early is a lot cheaper than replacing the battery plus the alternator a short while later. Plus, mrs dr bob has no patience for getting stranded by a weak battery I'm trying to stretch for another month. Total costs for that impatience are way higher than the fix, and I still get to pay for the fix. New battery early is a real bargain here it turns out.

Reactions: boom and Bic

·
Registered
603 Posts
I replace the battery in my wife's Pilot every 4 years, regardless of the condition of the battery. They rarely last more than 5 years in this climate. It is not only silly to hang on to one, it can put much more additional load on the charging system.

Bic, if your 2015 still has the original battery, this is a no brainer. How old is it?

Reactions: Bic

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replace the battery in my wife's Pilot every 4 years, regardless of the condition of the battery. They rarely last more than 5 years in this climate. It is not only silly to hang on to one, it can put much more additional load on the charging system.

Bic, if your 2015 still has the original battery, this is a no brainer. How old is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Boom I’m not sure I will definitely check. But after dr bobs and your post, I think I’ll just change it to be safe..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts