Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Pilot Owners and Mechanics,

Looking for anyone that can shed light on a situation. Currently own a 2015 Pilot. It was bought certified used with about 40k miles on it. Around 95K I took the vehicle into the dealership with the vehicle having a P0301 code. They replaced the plugs cleared the codes and sent me on the way. Giving me the old parts I noticed that the plug from cylinder one was damaged and soaked with oil. The ceramic part was pretty much gone. The service adviser said don't worry about it.... HAVE A GREAT DAY.....
Fast forward to just last week the P0301 code showed up. A friend (mechanic) and I pulled the cylinder one plug and found it covered in oil and the porcelain with a slight crack. We replaced it and cleared the codes. We also checked for compression finding 212 in cylinder 1 and 172 in cylinder 2.
There is also a noticeable hesitation between 40 and 80 miles and a feeling of sluggishness.
I understand that there was a class action lawsuit against the automaker for pilots from 2009 - 2013 for the exact same issue. Apparently the rings need to be replaced.
My question today and I have many are the following.

Are there any 2014 and 2015 Pilot owners on the website experiencing the same issue?

And

Do you think I am going to get the run around from the automaker and the dealership?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Pilot Owner

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,308 Posts
No need to speculate. These issues can be solve. But the 1st thing I would do is disable the VCM. I use S-VCM. This keeps you vehicle running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. This solves the fouled out spark plugs. Then get some of the simple maintanance and changes done. My bullet points are as follows...
  • Disable the VCM
  • Air filter New/Clean
  • Air intake tube leak/crack free, clamps tight
  • Mass Airflow Sensor clean, I use CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner, remove and spray a few short bursts directly into the visable electrodes (no soaking), let dry thoroughly before re-installing.
  • Spark plugs New/Clean
  • Spark plug tubes oil free, if not replace valve cover gaskets grommets and spark plug tube seals.
  • Coils firing, oil free, clean/replace rubber boots if swelled because of oil in the tube.
  • Replace PCV valve
  • Replace EGR valve (if high milage with unexplained poor idle)
  • No O2 sensor related codes, these must be functioning properly
  • Use Full synthetic 0w20 oil (no blends or Extended Performance oil)
  • Use a Top Tier 87 octane fuel or regularly use injector cleaner.
  • Italian tune up
Just keep in mind that all the maintenance I tried was pretty much useless until I disabled the VCM.

Reactions: eg9 and briantii

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Reader's Digest version of Nail Grease's recommendation: The VCM cylinders suck oil past the rings and leave the carbon and ash in the cylinders. That's the junk on the plugs. It's also on the rings, and the more oil junk you accumulate the more oil gets past and the more oil junk, ad mausoleum. (that's dr bob pee-sue-dough Latin for "until it's completely dead...). Adding the device to disable the VCM limits the amount of oil that will get past the rings on those cylinders. Changing to a true full-synthetic oil reduces detonation (cracks in the spark plug ceramic, possible broken piston and rings), plus it's better at cleaning out oil ash and other junk that's fouling the rings already. Other stuff reduces the pressure in the crankcase, further reducing the amount of oil pushed past the rings.

Do everything on his list, starting with the VCM disable.

Reactions: briantii
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.