Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife has had her pilot since new. Has taken it to a shop every time the maintenance minder popped up. They've reset it each time. Come to find out the only thing ever done was oil changes. Nothing else. Of all the cars I've owned, and she's owned, we've done nothing but oil changes :D. Honda Accords (a few), Toyota Highlander, etc. All ran to 150k-200k without much of anything done to them. We've owned a Lexus, and 4 BMWs, but those had prepaid maintenance with the dealers and sold shortly after.

It was my Lexus that just ran out of prepaid maintenance that led me to look up it's schedule (actually not that much is needed even up to 200k). My wife's pilot started making a weird noise passenger side of the engine, which led me to search, led me to timing belt, led me to a schedule, and then led me to freaking out like the Pilot is going to die in the middle of a drive tomorrow.

So anyway, I'm going to catch up on all the things that needed to be done as the maintenance minder doesn't store historical items does it? So I'm going off of the schedule that was posted here https://www.piloteers.org/threads/pilot-2013-recommended-service-intervals.46418/

Most of it DIY, except timing belt. I'm having a DIFFERENT shop do that, water pump etc. Everything that is in this kit (I hope this is the right OEM kit?)

Anything else needed while the shop is in there? When I google search for "tensioner" the part looks different than what's in this photo. But I think it says accessory belt tensioner. Is that something I should replace? Accessory belt and tensioner? I also read something about a serpentine belt. Or all of these the same thing with different names?

Just want to have him replace anything that needs to be done, when they're in there. I'm buying the parts and bringing it to them. DIY I'll be changing:

VTM-4 Fluid Every.... 15k miles (1 year) for first 2 changes and then every 2 years
Air Filter ............... 30k miles (2 year)
Dust Filter ............. 30k miles (2 year)
Transmission Fluid... 45k miles (3 year) and then every 30k miles (2 years)
Front Case Fluid...... 45k miles (3 year) and then every 30k miles (2 years)
Brake Fluid change.. Every 3 year
Spark plugs............ 105k miles (7 years)
Timing belt............ 105k miles (7 years)
Engine Coolant....... 120k miles or 10 years

Possibly power steering fluid too.

·
Registered
291 Posts
As you mention, I don't think there is any way to historically see what the MM had prompted for. Curious why the "shop" has been resetting the MM without doing any of the required work. Did the work orders show any other work being done? Did she pay for just oil changes or for maintenance checks?

Most use the terms accessory belt, drive belt, and serpentine belt interchangeably. It's the long belt running all the accessories external to the engine, separate from the timing belt, and has its own tensioner which Honda calls the "auto-tensioner". Honda has no belt replacement interval, but says you're supposed to inspect it and check the position of the tensioner on the same schedule as the engine air filter. Since it has to be removed to do the timing belt anyway, I'd definitely replace the belt and probably the auto-tensioner too.

Looks like a good list. Some of these numbers look a bit more conservative than the MM typically calls for, but they all need to be done now so you have a couple years to decide what kind of schedule to get on going forward. Some folks may recommend that once you've let the transmission slide this long, you're better off not doing it, but I wouldn't be one of them. I would just do the single/drain refill cycle and don't let anyone talk you into a flush. Personally, I'd use the Honda fluid for this, but there are some substitutes that many think are acceptable or even preferable. But in your situation, I'd definitely recommend the Honda fluid. Be aware that you're talking about three separate/different fluids for ATF, VTM-4, and transfer case.

A valve check/adjustment is called for on the same schedule as the timing belt and spark plugs. Some folks do power steering, but Honda doesn't require it.

You're probably due for some suspension work at this point - I'd have the shop do an inspection and advise you.

If it were my car, I'd do this maintenance in two stages - do all the fluid changes and filters first and make sure everything comes out Okay without any surprises. Then do the biggees: timing belt, spark plugs, and valve check. You want to be pretty careful with the shop you use for the biggees - I'd go with a dealer or a shop you know and trust that does this sort of thing frequently. Be sitting down when they give you the quote. If you don't have high expectations that you'll keep the car for a good period and/or the car is starting to suffer other terminal issues (i.e., rust), you could make the decision to ignore the big stuff and just drive it into the ground - it might pretty easily go another 70K or so.

Good luck!

- Mark

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I'd do power steering fluid too...

Sounds like you've got a pretty good list.

And the accessory belt and timing belt tensioner are two different things, make sure they have the correct parts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The list looks good. I usually do the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, coolant, drive belt (serpentine belt), upper & lower radiator hoses, sparkplugs, PCV valve all at the same time since it is all related and should take less man hours to do at the same time. I shoot for around 100k interval on that stuff.

I do brake fluid when I do brake pads - again because the work is related.

The air filters, transmission, VTM fluid, etc I do on about the schedule you listed above.

I change my power steering fluid when it starts looking dark but not on any set schedule.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The auto-tensioner is another $200. So if that goes bad will the engine die like the timing belt? If not I'll skip that for now but will replace the belt as it looks cheap. But if it's an urgent fix, I'll just have them do it.

As for the transmission, I'm going to go with a single drain and refill for now, and then do a couple more but not for a little while. Maybe a month each or something. Last thing I need is the tranny failing after I decide to mess with it. It is starting to hesitate just a little bit at times (not always).

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
If the tensioner is for the timing belt replace it now. It's a known "issue" area on these engines and in order to replace it when it fails later you have to basically pay for another timing belt change.

It could skip, but I think the bigger issue is you get more noise as the tension isn't at spec and it takes longer to build the tension so you get more noise on startup too.

Reactions: 97trophy

·
Registered
291 Posts
There is no catastrophic failure mode with the auto-tensioner on the accessory belt and they're not that prone to failure to begin with. Certainly something you could skip. The timing belt tensioner should be replaced on a timing belt change.

- Mark

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
And the timing belt tensioner is included in this kit, right?

Description doesn't explicitly list it just general marketing speak, but the black thing at the bottom of the first picture looks like it. Okay so that kit, plus the serpentine belt is what I'll have him do. Thanks!

Wonder why these are so cheap. I'm thinking they're fake ... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Belt-Kit-With-Water-Pump-for-Aisin-TKH002-Engine-Fits-Honda-Acura-Pilot/233257614857

·
Registered
194 Posts
The ebay listing is for an unbranded kit. I would steer clear of that on. And yes, the tensioner is pictured in the one you linked from amazon.

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
Or if you want a good price and to be sure it's not an eBay no-name or possibly an Amazon fake, go with the Aisin kit from site sponsor Rockauto.com.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1798456&cc=1505178&jsn=14

Don't forget to add your Piloteers 5% discount. :)

5% Discount Code: 6F3FAEF349C046
Expires: February 12, 2020

·
Registered
32 Posts
The list looks good. I usually do the timing belt, timing belt tensioner, water pump, coolant, drive belt (serpentine belt), upper & lower radiator hoses, sparkplugs, PCV valve all at the same time since it is all related and should take less man hours to do at the same time. I shoot for around 100k interval on that stuff.

I do brake fluid when I do brake pads - again because the work is related.

The air filters, transmission, VTM fluid, etc I do on about the schedule you listed above.

I change my power steering fluid when it starts looking dark but not on any set schedule.
Hi, would you mind telling me what part numbers are the upper & lower radiator hoses? The heater hose/pipe section on rock auto for the pilot has a million different things so I'm not sure which two are the ones you're referring to. Thank you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd do power steering fluid too...

Sounds like you've got a pretty good list.

And the accessory belt and timing belt tensioner are two different things, make sure they have the correct parts.
I've never had to change the power steering fluid on any car I've ever owned over 50 years. If the power steering hose or line goes bad then sure you have to refill the fluid. The tensioner is small belt pulley that is usually changed when the water pump and belt is changed. Sometimes the tensioner is changed sooner because it spins so fast due to it's small diameter the bearing can start to squeel.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I've never had to change the power steering fluid on any car I've ever owned over 50 years. If the power steering hose or line goes bad then sure you have to refill the fluid. The tensioner is small belt pulley that is usually changed when the water pump and belt is changed. Sometimes the tensioner is changed sooner because it spins so fast due to it's small diameter the bearing can start to squeel.
If that works for you, keep doing it. It's cheap and easy for me so I go ahead and do it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I'd be changing out the radiator too and pre-empt the SMOD issue. Unless Honda has changed the design of the radiator where the tranny fluid enters the heat exchanger which resides (or used to reside in the bottom of the radiator). There's about 1/8 inch of threads holding those fittings in place and it won't take much corrosion to have a failure which then induces the Strawberry Milkshake of Death.

RL 5 threads 0.125 inch radiator tranny fitting.jpg

·
Registered
603 Posts
You aren't describing a tensioner. You are describing a tensioner pulley.

Tensioner:

Tensioner Pulley:

Both of which are included in the Aisin kit. Honda dealer service does not always change out the tensioner if they determine it was not making noise and is not leaking. But any aftermarket kit will include it.

Changing the power steering fluid is just good, cheap, proactive maintenance. The power steering pump on our Honda range from $600 to $900 at online discount. They are incredibly expensive. Aftermarket pumps for these are almost all garbage. Every one I have ever installed made more noise than the OEM one it was replacing. Read the reviews on them.... they are awful. Honda pumps slowly break down over time and can introduce particulate, which darkens the fluid. Keeping fresh clean fluid in there is very cheap insurance to having a long running pump. The same for Honda transmissions, changing the fluid is inexpensive and prolongs the life of the unit.

·
Registered
32 Posts
VTM-4 Fluid Every.... 15k miles (1 year) for first 2 changes and then every 2 years

I'm going to head to the Honda dealership to get the fluids. How many bottles of VTM-4, transmission, front case, brake and power steering fluids would I need to get? Thanks!

·
Registered
5,538 Posts
I'm going to head to the Honda dealership to get the fluids. How many bottles of VTM-4, transmission, front case, brake and power steering fluids would I need to get? Thanks!
Here are the fluid capacities for a 2006. Yours should be pretty similar, but double-check at the end of you owner's manual.

·
Registered
259 Posts

I have a 2006 Pilot and a 2008 Ridgeline. Both have identical maintenance requirements. I base most things off the MM but modify it to suit my personal biases and preferences. Both are garaged and in normal service environments.
VTM-4 fluid at 15k miles, then every 30k thereafter
Engine and cabin filters every 30k miles
Trans fluid every other OCI unless doing annual oil changes due to low mileage between changes, in which case I'll do them every 15k or less.
Transfer assembly fluid every 30k (at the same time as the VTM-4 fluid in the rear diff)
Brake fluid every 3-ish years
Spark plugs/TB/WP/hydraulic tensioner/cam seals/valve adjustment/new radiator and coolant/serpentine belt and tensioner every 120k miles
Coolant every 60k miles.
Power steering fluid change every 50k-ish miles.
Tire rotation every OCI if doing normal (for me) OCIs of 6500-7000 miles. I also check the guide pins for proper movement.

Note: there is no time limit on items that used to have a time limit per the maintenance schedules. The schedules went away when the Maintenance Minder was introduced on the Pilot and Ridgeline in the 2006 model year. The exceptions are brake fluid every 3 years and annual oil changes if the MM doesn't trip due to being driven low miles since the last OCI.

Note 2: when changing trans fluid (converting to from Z1 to DW-1 or if very dirty), Honda considers a flush to be 4x drain and fills with driving in between changes to get a good fluid mix. The following article is old and references z1 fluid, but Honda has not changed their guidance on this to the best of my knowledge.

RL transmission fluid 4x change flush.png

1 - 20 of 44 Posts