Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since my wife and I are both Uber drivers, and I drive especially at night, those noisemaking rear tailgate beepers have got to go. (No, I don't want to wake the neighbors when I pick you up for that 4am airport ride!)
So with the help of the great service manual download from @Tahoefever and after finding a bunch of threads and videos where people did it the hard way, I figured it out.
-----------------
The fairly easy and non-destructive way to disable rear beepers. Takes 10 minutes after you've learned it.
Works on our 2013 Pilot Touring, your results may vary.

For safety, disconnect the battery first.

• Open the left rear cargo door, then remove the cover in the back of the compartment
  • Detach the 3 10mm mounting screws for the VTM4 ECU and lay it out of the way (Fig.1)
  • Reach up and pull the center, blue 20-pin connector from the Power Tailgate Control Unit (Fig.2)
  • Disconnect Pin 3 (Orange wire, outside beeper), and/or Pin 4 (Red wire, inside Beeper) (Fig.3) --- [you could just cut the wires... BUT DON'T!]

Here is a short video showing how to depin this type of connector
(Ours will have a blue-on-blue pin locker strip instead of white.)

For mine, I marked both wires with "#3" and "#4" so they can be properly reconnected, and taped around the two removed pins to prevent any damage.
Plug it back in, remount the VFM4 box, reconnect the battery - DONE.

Silence is Golden.

\

Product Technology Vehicle Car Minivan

Text Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wow. thank you for the details. Any recommendations on how to remove the wires in a non-distructive way?

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the video I linked to above was the best demo I could find for removing wires from those connectors with normal tools. It is tricky, though.

·
Registered
2014 Pilot AWD-Touring with J37A4-swapped engine
81 Posts
Glorious. Came to that other thread to download the service manual, and found this as an added bonus. I'm not an Uber driver, but I do occasionally haul long cargo that sticks out the back (e.g. full sheet of plywood) and driving home while that thing beeps at me for the first few minutes is annoying AF. EXCELLENT write-up, especially the marked-up pictures. Thanks!

-Jon

1 - 4 of 4 Posts