Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has had any luck with either a roof top tent on the OEM rack/crossbars, or an aftermarket rack to support the same? From what I have found, it doesn't seem that the roof supports very much weight. Any info is appreciated.......

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
You'll be sort of OK putting a tent up there so long as you don't get up there with it.

Total capacity for the roof rack is 165 lbs evenly distributed on the rails. The crossbars aren't that strong and the roof holding the rails isn't particularly strong. There's just no real reinforcement under the rails. Big hole with a moonroof in it. Not for much more load capability than a ski/luggage box or bicycles really. The roof metal is there to hold that paint up, not a whole lot more.

Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll be sort of OK putting a tent up there so long as you don't get up there with it.

Total capacity for the roof rack is 165 lbs evenly distributed on the rails. The crossbars aren't that strong and the roof holding the rails isn't particularly strong. There's just no real reinforcement under the rails. Big hole with a moonroof in it. Not for much more load capability than a ski/luggage box or bicycles really. The roof metal is there to hold that paint up, not a whole lot more.
Thanks. I suspected as much; bummer.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
You mean something like this?

Passport, not a Pilot.

You could consider one of these.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Yah so when the bears come to say hello you can quickly jump in the Pilot

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
I highly doubt the Passport magically has a stronger roof than the Pilot. Search rooftop tent on this forum and you will see some posts about people who have attempted this sort of thing. If I recall correctly, due to weight distribution and using the roof rails, it can handle a tent like that.

Last summer we rented a 4Runner out in CA with a tent like the one on the Passport and it was an amazing experience. Too bad Honda doesn't make any car capable of real overland type activity. I am still sort of considering it as a casual way to camp but those tents are very expensive!

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
I highly doubt the Passport magically has a stronger roof than the Pilot. Search rooftop tent on this forum and you will see some posts about people who have attempted this sort of thing. If I recall correctly, due to weight distribution and using the roof rails, it can handle a tent like that.

Last summer we rented a 4Runner out in CA with a tent like the one on the Passport and it was an amazing experience. Too bad Honda doesn't make any car capable of real overland type activity. I am still sort of considering it as a casual way to camp but those tents are very expensive!
The Passport roof to my knowledge is not rated to be stronger than the Pilot roof.

It's a lot like tires. People don't factor in weight distribution. Our vehicles weigh in at 4000 + lbs, yet each tire has a load rating of 1900 + lbs. They easily and safely carry the weight because no one tire is carrying the whole load.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
In that pic the dude found a classy way of taking a dump.

·
Registered
526 Posts
DIY

Build a roof rack with material that can support 2x your weight,
throw your RTT on there when you're ready to nap.

Here's a start/idea

mount the rack to the vehicle like....

buy or make(DIY) these foot/boots

or

1 - 9 of 9 Posts