Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all so I have done some searching and I’m having trouble finding anything online that is identical to my situation. I’m coming here because my last vehicle I took to a shop and it was misdiagnosed repeatedly for another starting issue and ended up never getting fixed, so I’d like to see what you all think first.

2013 Pilot
My car can sit overnight, and start 90% of the time in the cold morning. I drive into work about 20min, load up my vehicle with my work equipment, go to the gas station 1min down the road to fill up, fully take the key out (door lights and all off) , gas up and the car won’t start.

another scenario: car won’t start when sitting out front (off) for a few hours, or even running in a store for less than an hour.

All electronics come on when key is in, can hear it trying to turn over it’s dead(no clicking). I plugged a battery/alt checker in the cigarette outlet and it said both were good but I question it. No check engine or battery lights on while vehicle is on. I keep a jump kit in the car, thankfully, but everyone’s getting really fed up with this issue.

I know starter/ignition switch could be it, but I’m confused as to why I’m able to jump it, if it were those things shouldn’t giving it a jump not matter?

Thanks for reading & any recommendations or ideas.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The fact that the vehicle starts with a jump, have you had the battery tested under load? ( Autozone, Advance Auto, Walmart)The battery/alt checker is not a proper test on the battery. Also, double check the battery connection to make sure the cables are tight.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,968 Posts
I second having the battery load tested, especially if jump starting works each time.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got a 2013 EX, and had very similar issues earlier this year. Had to keep cables and a battery jump starter in the car. Took it for regular maintenance to dealer. Did not actually tell them anything about this issue, but they did battery check as part of overall inspection and told me battery was on its last legs. After battery swap, problem was completely gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts