Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Looking at helping a family member purchase a 2013 Pilot Touring. The car currently has 98,000 miles on it. The timing belt service (everything included with that) was done at 76,000 miles (October 2018). The service was done at a Honda dealer. The car has been owned in Georgia all it's life so the server use service intervals don't apply. Is there any reason for concern as to why this was done 25,000 miles ahead of "schedule"? The car is in great condition otherwise and we really like it. Any tips are appreciated.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Hi,
Looking at helping a family member purchase a 2013 Pilot Touring. The car currently has 98,000 miles on it. The timing belt service (everything included with that) was done at 76,000 miles (October 2018). The service was done at a Honda dealer. The car has been owned in Georgia all it's life so the server use service intervals don't apply. Is there any reason for concern as to why this was done 25,000 miles ahead of "schedule"? The car is in great condition otherwise and we really like it. Any tips are appreciated.
You are correct on this one ..why would the Timing belt be done so dang early , If everything was done at the dealership there should be a history in the notes that would justify the replacement. at an early rate. maybe a leaking water pump ..bad tensioner could be anything ..besides your already ahead of the game if you know the history and know what your getting into .. since GA has nothing for elements that would cause rust that Pilot other than the mileage would be like new . One of my 06's it was done at 90k so it may have been just up to the owner.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
A few folks here have asked about why their dealer recommended the "severe service" belt change intervals. Most were in warm to hot climates. The severe service description includes lots of stop-and-go or idling, which can describe almost any suburban use pattern that includes the drive-up window.

Were it me, I wouldn't worry about someone doing a major service for you earlier than scheduled. Note that the pre- maintenance-minder recommendation with the same engine includes a seven years age limit. My 10/2012 build car just passed that age threshold, so it will likely see a new belt and rollers/tensioner/pump in the next year or so, even though it's well under 50k. Will I need to explain to a buyer someday that I did it based on a Honda recommendation even though it's well under the MM mileage trigger? I should be able to manage that if needed.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are correct on this one ..why would the Timing belt be done so dang early , If everything was done at the dealership there should be a history in the notes that would justify the replacement. at an early rate. maybe a leaking water pump ..bad tensioner could be anything ..besides your already ahead of the game if you know the history and know what your getting into .. since GA has nothing for elements that would cause rust that Pilot other than the mileage would be like new . One of my 06's it was done at 90k so it may have been just up to the owner.
thank you! The problem I’m having is this is an independent dealer who has the car, and I already called the dealer who serviced the car (according to the Carfax) and they confirmed the service was done but they were quite reluctant because it’s not their car so they have nothing to gain from helping.

If I can’t get ahold of the notes I’ll just assume the dealer was trying to make some extra money by recommending unnecessary service.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A few folks here have asked about why their dealer recommended the "severe service" belt change intervals. Most were in warm to hot climates. The severe service description includes lots of stop-and-go or idling, which can describe almost any suburban use pattern that includes the drive-up window.

Were it me, I wouldn't worry about someone doing a major service for you earlier than scheduled. Note that the pre- maintenance-minder recommendation with the same engine includes a seven years age limit. My 10/2012 build car just passed that age threshold, so it will likely see a new belt and rollers/tensioner/pump in the next year or so, even though it's well under 50k. Will I need to explain to a buyer someday that I did it based on a Honda recommendation even though it's well under the MM mileage trigger? I should be able to manage that if needed.
I am not so much concerned as much as I just want to make sure this being done so soon doesn't indicate a larger problem. People typically aren't willing to spend ~$1,100 before they absolutely have to. However, replacing the timing belt wouldn't be a solution to any problems so I guess it doesn't matter. I've seen a few Pilots that had an engine replaced at 60,000 miles and regardless of the reason I chose not to pursue those cars.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Possibilities include belt tensioner or water pump noises, or maybe a water pump leak. Those would have me in close enough to justify spending the extra $25 to put a new belt on instead of the old one, especially if the old belt was dosed with old coolant at some point.

Did the work done with the belt include the pump and the tensioner/rollers?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Possibilities include belt tensioner or water pump noises, or maybe a water pump leak. Those would have me in close enough to justify spending the extra $25 to put a new belt on instead of the old one, especially if the old belt was dosed with old coolant at some point.

Did the work done with the belt include the pump and the tensioner/rollers?
yep everything was done. I’m just glad that’s it’s done. Have another 5 years or so before anyone has to worry about it.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
2,939 Posts
Given that the service was performed a Honda dealer at least you know OEM parts were used. And while I’m not a big fan of taking the vehicle into the Honda dealer, I’d rather have them perform this service since they deal with these engines on a regular basis.
If I was purchasing a Pilot with 98k miles on it, I would look at the timing belt and associated components already being replaced as a bonus. And since the Pilot is still running a year after that work was done chances are it was performed correctly.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given that the service was performed a Honda dealer at least you know OEM parts were used. And while I’m not a big fan of taking the vehicle into the Honda dealer, I’d rather have them perform this service since they deal with these engines on a regular basis.
If I was purchasing a Pilot with 98k miles on it, I would look at the timing belt and associated components already being replaced as a bonus. And since the Pilot is still running a year after that work was done chances are it was performed correctly.
That's the way I feel to be honest. There are plenty of low mileage Pilots around but I don't really care about the mileage of a car as long as it is in good condition and was maintained properly so it makes sense to save a little bit of money and go with one that just had its first TB service done.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you can sign up to Carfax under the maintenance section you can take the vin and pull the records yourself ..Only thing it lists are what was done not why it was done for repairs

https://www.carfax.com/Service/?s_id=int_carfax_002
That's how I was able to see that the timing belt was done in the first place. I just called the dealer to confirm because I know Carfax can be a bit unreliable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts