Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

2013 Pilot Touring Lifted & Winched.

12K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  cintocrunch 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, I decided to increase ground clearance and install a front receiver for a winch. 1st I obtained a 2 inch front , 1 inch rear lift/leveling kit on line for about $450. A local garage installed for $1200. 2nd, I installed M & S tires on the stock rims (Cooper 225/45 R17), cost $800. The net result (lift & tires) is 3 1/2 inches raised (from 8 inches stock to 11 1/4 inches lifted). Total cost $2450. Next came the winch, where I manufactured a 2 inch receiver hitch nut & bolt mounted to frame. A slight modification of front plastic air deflector was made, as the hitch follows the contour of the Pilot and does not sacrifice the ground clearance achieved above. I have driven the vehicle for approx 6000 miles since install with no alignment or ride issues. The net, yes it can be done, no it does not create a rock-crawler, but does give me a vehicle to go hunting in with my two dogs without adequate ground clearance and a method to extract myself out of a poor choice of roads when i stick it. If your contemplating, yes go for it.

OK, answers to posts:

1. Lift can be found on EBAY items #332407080028 & 292287453952 are by ShiPingLin lift.option ($275 for kits).
2. No impact to steering or suspension or CV axles noted in 6000 miles.
3. Highway tread selected since 95% of my driving in highway with only pull offs to dirt roads of pastures for hunting (no serious rock climbing). Highway tread also gave best ride and low noise.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Awesome job! ..give me some awesome ideas I wanted to use my 2015 pilot for hunting purposes but was afraid about getting the pilot stuck somewhere.

#7 ·
It looks great! That is a serious winch setup...

Why did you go with a highway oriented tire instead of an all terrain?

Have you had the chance to take it down some trails yet? The lift doesn't help flex so I know we are still limited in that but the additional ground clearance should certainly help and give you more line flexibility. Also, any issues with the CV axles binding since at full droop they are at more extreme angles now?

Really cool, glad you did it.

#9 ·
Your quoted tire size doesn't sound correct. I have 225/50-17 winter tires on my '18 Civic and they are much smaller than both of my Pilot's tires. It looks like they are 3" smaller in diameter.

#11 ·
Don't forget the LX rides on 17's as stock ... so the Pilot maybe a touring that Rocky is correct they do 18's but the OP may be using 17's as stated winter tires... in my case I have the same setup as winter tires on 17's ..for my pilot

#13 ·
OK, I decided to increase ground clearance and install a front receiver for a winch. 1st I obtained a 2 inch front , 1 inch rear lift/leveling kit on line for about $450. A local garage installed for $1200. 2nd, I installed M & S tires on the stock rims (Cooper 255/65 R18), cost $800. The net result (lift & tires) is 3 1/2 inches raised (from 8 inches stock to 11 1/4 inches lifted). Total cost $2450. Next came the winch, where I manufactured a 2 inch receiver hitch nut & bolt mounted to frame. A slight modification of front plastic air deflector was made, as the hitch follows the contour of the Pilot and does not sacrifice the ground clearance achieved above. I have driven the vehicle for approx 6000 miles since install with no alignment or ride issues. The net, yes it can be done, no it does not create a rock-crawler, but does give me a vehicle to go hunting in with my two dogs with adequate ground clearance and a method to extract myself out of a poor choice of roads when I stick it. If your contemplating, yes go for it.

OK, answers to posts:

1. Lift can be found on EBAY items #332407080028 & 292287453952 are by ShiPingLin lift.option ($275 for kits).
2. No impact to steering or suspension or CV axles noted in 6000 miles.
3. Highway tread selected since 95% of my driving in highway with only pull offs to dirt roads of pastures for hunting (no serious rock climbing). Highway tread also gave best ride and low noise.
4. Lift has been on truck for appox 12 months, with travel to S. Dakota in Jan. No drive issues noted. Tire wear is normal.

#14 ·
So how has the ride been? On rough roads does the lack of down travel cause any sharp jolts or any other issues? I've done some of this type of lift and 95% of the time it rides just like stock, but on bad potholes or large speed bumps where it extends and hits the shocks limits it's a little rough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.