Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends.
I just got a quote for my 2013 Pilot touring (with 108,000 miles) for the 105,000 scheduled maintenance and wanted to know what everyone thought about this total. I know this is the expensive scheduled maintenance, so I not completely sticker shocked. But figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask my friendly pilot forum friends. See pick below. And thanks as always!!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would definitely pass on the "Coolant hose package" and also the spark plugs if you are able to change the plugs yourself. The rest seems to be about the going rate for the timing belt service from Honda dealers.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
The upper and lower radiator hoses would cost about $60 for both at dealer prices.
What else does the $635 "package" price include?

·
Registered
176 Posts
That is high. I hit 100,000 miles on my touring and my Honda dealer put a quote together for me the last time I was in, so I could prepare myself for the next time maintenance is due and I was quoted $1,700.00. I would like to know details as to what they are doing on these "Packages". My quote covers Timing belt, drive belts, water pump, valves, spark plugs, coolant, oil, and I believe the brake fluid.

So it would be nice to compare what exactly they are quoting you for. If they can't tell you, go somewhere else.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
The upper and lower radiator hoses would cost about $60 for both at dealer prices.
What else does the $635 "package" price include?
Flush and refill with new coolant. Have you ever taken a lower radiator hose off and tried to keep the coolant in the system. It's a really tough job to do. 😉

·
Registered
322 Posts
It seems high to me and vague on details. Before I started doing it myself 15 years ago I had a guy recommended by a good buddy who was a Honda tech and did work on the side from his home shop. First time he did a belt for me he handed me the box of old parts. I asked why did he do that? He said otherwise he could have done the outside stuff, kept my parts and sent me on my way. He watched other techs do shit like that and quit those shops. He got a lot of work from me, family and friends and he was fair price and never had any work he did go bad. I asked one time picking up a car of a family member for the shop to give me back the old belt and pump etc. and they refused. Never kept the car long enough to know if it was pretend changed or really changed but also told my Aunt not to go back to that shop.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Sparks plugs can be done at home for $80 bucks and around 30 min of your time. At least it was for me. Timing belt is on point price wise, Valves I've read is closer to a 400 dollar job but only going on hear-say

·
Registered
767 Posts
I asked one time picking up a car of a family member for the shop to give me back the old belt and pump etc. and they refused. Never kept the car long enough to know if it was pretend changed or really changed but also told my Aunt not to go back to that shop.
It helps to ask ahead of time. I've known plenty of 100% honest shops that don't typically give parts back. I know they're honest shops as I've spent time in them and in one case know the owner personally for 25+ years. He doesn't screw people no matter what. Want the old parts? Tell him ahead of time and they'll be there. Don't say anything? They may already be gone or mixed with other old / used parts. Also sometimes there's a core charge that would drive up the cost if they were kept. The majority of owners don't ask for or want the parts back.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It helps to ask ahead of time. I've known plenty of 100% honest shops that don't typically give parts back. I know they're honest shops as I've spent time in them and in one case know the owner personally for 25+ years. He doesn't screw people no matter what. Want the old parts? Tell him ahead of time and they'll be there. Don't say anything? They may already be gone or mixed with other old / used parts. Also sometimes there's a core charge that would drive up the cost if they were kept. The majority of owners don't ask for or want the parts back.
I get that, I don't at the shop I use local as I know then well enough I don't have too. I just didn't like the vibe at that particular place. There are just way more bad shops than good. We are a small town and it still blows me away that some of the shops and dealers here are still in business after how many folks have been screwed. I think it's because the good shops are always booked weeks out for appointments LOL.

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
Only once did I have a mechanic refuse to give me a part. Their reasoning was simple, if they gave me the part they had to charge me for the replacement since Dodge was going to pay for the new part and the labor to put it in. No part, no pay from Dodge. They did however show me the part. I knew that they had replaced it as the vehicle would not run with the part that had failed.

I have found that you do have to ask up front for them to save the parts for me, otherwise they just toss them in the trash or scrap bin, depending on the part.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
Flush and refill with new coolant. Have you ever taken a lower radiator hose off and tried to keep the coolant in the system. It's a really tough job to do. 😉
Have you ever taken a water pump off and tried to keep the coolant in the system?
The flush and refill with new coolant should be included as part of the timing belt replacement package cost.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Have you ever taken a water pump off and tried to keep the coolant in the system?
The flush and refill with new coolant should be included as part of the timing belt replacement package cost.
I agree, they are nickel and diming the jobs bad.

·
Administrator
4,878 Posts
Ah, but if they decide to do the hoses first, then they can include the charge for the drain and fill as part of the hose job. Which of course it is what they doing. A hose job. 😁

1 - 13 of 13 Posts