Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2013 needs new tires. Very happy to get rid of the crappy tires that came with the car.

Looking mainly at Michelins. Costco shows several options, including the Defender T+H tire, but for some reason, they don't show the Defender M/S or the X LT A/S (Costco version of Defender M/S).

However, when I search for tires based on tire size (235/60/18), both fo those options show up.

Does anyone know why Costco thinks these tires aren't compatible with my Pilot?
If I were to order the X LT A/S tires, would they give me a hard time about installing them?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IME Costco is a big stickler for only installing the OEM recommended size tire. Talk to the tire sales manager about the XLT A/S
I just spoke to them on the phone. They didn't know what they were talking about. The sizes are exactly the same, the only difference I can tell is that the load ratings are higher on the XLT A/S vs. the Defender T+H.

I want to order these before the $150 off deal goes away.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plenty of Michelin tires are out of stock.....

Have you asked Discount tire to match the price?
Those tires aren't out of stock. I don't think Discount Tire would price match a different tire. As far as I'm aware, DT doesn't carry the XLT A/S.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I just spoke to them on the phone. They didn't know what they were talking about. The sizes are exactly the same, the only difference I can tell is that the load ratings are higher on the XLT A/S vs. the Defender T+H.

I want to order these before the $150 off deal goes away.
It would appear that the XL load range tires (except for winter tires) are being excluded when you search by vehicle rather than by tire size.
Keep in mind that, if you do choose a tire with an XL load rating, you should run it at a slightly higher pressure to get the same load carrying capacity as a standard load tire.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Best I can recommend (having just gone through some tire issues with Costco for the Traverse) is to stop by the store and get them ordered in person.

That being said, the X LT A/S is experiencing stock issues in MD... the size I needed for a sidewall nail replacement on my Traverse was not available anywhere in the region and they ended up shipping it from another region.

It is an excellent tire and I'm debating between the Pirelli's again for the Pilot or the X LT A/S, both have been great for us.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
Best I can recommend (having just gone through some tire issues with Costco for the Traverse) is to stop by the store and get them ordered in person.

That being said, the X LT A/S is experiencing stock issues in MD... the size I needed for a sidewall nail replacement on my Traverse was not available anywhere in the region and they ended up shipping it from another region.

It is an excellent tire and I'm debating between the Pirelli's again for the Pilot or the X LT A/S, both have been great for us.
Me too!
Just having a terrible time deciding to buy Michelin or Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s. Very difficult decision, after all of the positive reviews. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Me too!
Just having a terrible time deciding to buy Michelin or Sumitomo HTR A/S P03s. Very difficult decision, after all of the positive reviews. 🤣
You're just salty since I called you out in the carbon buildup thread...

While I may not feel the need to defame your tire choice like some others do, I can honestly say I have very little interest in putting Sumitomos on anything I own other than the Sonata since it's a local runabout at most.

@Jack Vogt prepare for your innocent tire thread to devolve into another of the many dead tire threads.

Reactions: Jack Vogt

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
You're just salty since I called you out in the carbon buildup thread...

While I may not feel the need to defame your tire choice like some others do, I can honestly say I have very little interest in putting Sumitomos on anything I own other than the Sonata since it's a local runabout at most.

@Jack Vogt prepare for your innocent tire thread to devolve into another of the many dead tire threads.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, I thought the OP brought up a great question for injector cleaner in that thread. I thought my experience with the P219A code and example of carbon buildup was good info.
I didn't respond to your comment in this thread with a preconceived thought because of the other thread.
Just having fun.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not answering your question, but my experience with Discount Tires over 20+ years makes it well worth spending more to get tires from them, for me. No affiliation, they just take care of me every single time.
I do love Discount Tire and find their service has been consistently top notch.
I have found Costco to be just about as good and my out the door price for these tires would be about $800 and I think that’s pretty good value.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Me too!
Michelin tires seem to be pretty popular across the board on this forum, no persuasion needed. So it’s a pretty easy decision in my eyes.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Michelin tires seem to be pretty popular across the board on this forum, no persuasion needed. So it’s a pretty easy decision in my eyes.
No question, Michelin has the ability to make great tires. They have so many, it can be difficult to decide which tire to buy if you want Michelin. The place in the middle, between a SL touring tire and a XL truck tire is where I feel they could have a few more options. A High Performance Tire that can really hold the road with a 600 UTQG.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
No question, Michelin has the ability to make great tires. They have so many, it can be difficult to decide which tire to buy if you want Michelin. The place in the middle, between a SL touring tire and a XL truck tire is where I feel they could have a few more options. A High Performance Tire that can really hold the road with a 600 UTQG.
Michelin calls their Premier A/S tire a luxury performance tire.
It has an 'H' speed rating and a UTQG of 640.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Michelin calls their Premier A/S tire a luxury performance tire.
It has an 'H' speed rating and a UTQG of 640.
Yes, but it's still classified as a touring tire. Looks to me like some were sold this when they expected more in snow and ice conditions. Seeing these numbers, gives me the opinion that there may be a bit of a marketing issue, getting the right tire on a vehicle in a certain climate or customers performance need. Customers shouldn't expect treadwear to be the same as a Michelin Defender. They didn't rate it well for that.

Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,367 Posts
I'm not answering your question, but my experience with Discount Tires over 20+ years makes it well worth spending more to get tires from them, for me. No affiliation, they just take care of me every single time.
I second going to Discount Tire (America's Tire in some regions). You'll get choices for lots of other brands compared to the three (I think) which Costco carries. And they say that they'll price match so you've got nothing to lose by checking them out if there is one in your area.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I stopped by Costco couple weeks ago to check the availability on Crossclimate 2. They had them, but if past experience any indication, once the $150 event hits, you need to camp in a line to get it before stock runs out. They quoted just over $1100, so with discount it would be just below $1000.

ETD discount tire quoted $1080. I really don't have time or energy to play the discount game, so I just went with that deal.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Time is a factor for many. Even more for some who don't have a lot of patience (did you take your blood pressure pill this morning, lol). Sure, you can make an appointment, but it still can turn into a 3 hour + ordeal. Especially for those of us who live 20-30 miles from a tire shop like Discount Tire, Wal-Mart, Sam's, Firestone, etc etc. For this reason, I have very much appreciated having online tire companies send the tires to my home and I take them to my local independent tire shop to have them installed for about $100 (mounted and ballanced). Tire Rack, Simple Tire, Tire Easy, Priority Tire etc. has the popular brands like Michelin, General, Perelli and Sumitomo, Toyo, to name a few. If there are rebates, you can apply for these.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
642 Posts
I stopped by Costco couple weeks ago to check the availability on Crossclimate 2. They had them, but if past experience any indication, once the $150 event hits, you need to camp in a line to get it before stock runs out. They quoted just over $1100, so with discount it would be just below $1000.

ETD discount tire quoted $1080. I really don't have time or energy to play the discount game, so I just went with that deal.

I'll need tires before next summer (rainy season) and I'll do the same at Costco.

I'm really hoping the Cross Climate 2 aren't too loud. Either way the wet traction is really what I'm after so it is what it is.

I've found its more convenient for me to buy tires from Costco as I can wander around the store for an hour while I have them do regular tire rotations and balancing.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts