Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if it is worth putting slotted rotors on the Pilot. I'm guessing the vehicle just weighs too much for the braking system it has and it overheats. Rear brakes have been good (and replaced once) for the 80K that's on the vehicle. Just wondering if anyone has had any success with anything on this vehicle besides constantly replacing the brakes due to warped rotors.

2013 Honda Pilot EX, purchased 'new' (if repainted by the factory is what you consider new)

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,574 Posts
It's hard to know what is wrong since nobody knows how you drive. While Pilot brakes are pretty crappy, I don't know of anyone who has gone through pads and rotors as quickly as that. The old Odyssey we had would warp rotors every 40,000 miles or so, and then we'd just resurface them. Pads lasted pretty long.

Unless you're doing tons of city stop and go driving, I would assume something is wrong. Either the proper things aren't lubed enough or something is stuck.

·
Registered
744 Posts
My 2013 Pilot is at 100k and is on its 3rd pads, recently replaced. I replaced rotors with Centric around 40k cause OEM ones were pulsating - not sure why, they had rather deep grooves in them. Dunno what pads you use, I been using Akebono Ceramic premium. Definitely can go 45k+ on those.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Where do you drive? Are you hard on the brakes? What parts did you use? I'd say this is entirely possible with OEM brakes or low quality pads. It's a big vehicle with pretty small brakes, they work hard.

Slotted rotors will accelerate pad wear and are generally an awful idea unless you are racing and invested in racing grade parts. I've seen many pictures of cracked rotors since they don't dissipate heat well due to the lack of material.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,849 Posts
Sorry, but it sounds to me as if it is a driver habit issue rather than a Honda rotor issue. I had a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring and never changed a rotor, in fact when I traded it in a few months ago it was just getting to where it needed the pad replaced for the first time. Many brake rotor issues begin at the body attached to the right foot doing the braking. If it happens to be the left foot doing the braking the issues are multiplied.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I’m running stoptech slotted rotors and street pads. I’ve had the fronts on for about 90k and I’m on the same set of pads I installed them back around 2015 after the stock rotors warped.

The performance has been what I expected. I run these rotors on all of cars.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Sorry, but it sounds to me as if it is a driver habit issue rather than a Honda rotor issue. I had a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring and never changed a rotor, in fact when I traded it in a few months ago it was just getting to where it needed the pad replaced for the first time. Many brake rotor issues begin at the body attached to the right foot doing the braking. If it happens to be the left foot doing the braking the issues are multiplied.
Did you only drive on the highway? That is impressive.
I don't drive super aggressively but I go through pads every 30,000-40,000 miles. I always felt that the brakes on these Pilots were insufficient for the weight of the vehicle.

My 1996 accord went 226,000 miles on the original rotors. They were pulsating pretty bad, but they were such a pain to get off it wasn't worth it to me.

·
Administrator
4,849 Posts
No about 50/50 city/highway. I'm not an aggressive driver. Bottom line, I'm not a neurosurgeon rushing to save a life, I haven't found a cure for covid nor have I found the solution to everlasting world peace. Simply put, in the grand scheme of things what really is there to be in any kind of hurry all the time to get somewhere. Unless you are can claim one of those then your just rushing around to satisfy your own impatience. I'm not the slow guy that's 5-10 mph below the speed limit in the inside lane. I travel the speed limit, I pay attention to my surroundings and get there when I get there.

In my previous life I ate brakes like they were snacks on my work vehicle. But then all of us did, because there were many a time we were saving a life or at least trying to. But in my personal life I'm in no rush. I chuckle a lot at the people that speed past me doing 5-10 15 mph over the speed limit, as I pull up next to them at the red light.

My wife does tend to go through brakes. Her attention span is 10' in front of her vehicle so her stops tend to be more aggressive than mine as she realizes the she needs to not hit the car in front of her that has slowed down or stopped.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yeah some people's driving habits... I see it all the time - accelerate/brake/accelerate/brake/accelerate/brake ad nauseum. I generally try to drive by accelerator only.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has had any success with anything on this vehicle besides constantly replacing the brakes due to warped rotors.
How do you know that the rotors were "warped"?
How do you know that the problem wasn't due to uneven deposition of pad material on the surface of the rotors?

·
Administrator
4,849 Posts
How do you know that the rotors were "warped"?
How do you know that the problem wasn't due to uneven deposition of pad material on the surface of the rotors?

·
Registered
753 Posts
No about 50/50 city/highway. I'm not an aggressive driver. Bottom line, I'm not a neurosurgeon rushing to save a life, I haven't found a cure for covid nor have I found the solution to everlasting world peace. Simply put, in the grand scheme of things what really is there to be in any kind of hurry all the time to get somewhere. Unless you are can claim one of those then your just rushing around to satisfy your own impatience. I'm not the slow guy that's 5-10 mph below the speed limit in the inside lane. I travel the speed limit, I pay attention to my surroundings and get there when I get there.

In my previous life I ate brakes like they were snacks on my work vehicle. But then all of us did, because there were many a time we were saving a life or at least trying to. But in my personal life I'm in no rush. I chuckle a lot at the people that speed past me doing 5-10 15 mph over the speed limit, as I pull up next to them at the red light.

My wife does tend to go through brakes. Her attention span is 10' in front of her vehicle so her stops tend to be more aggressive than mine as she realizes the she needs to not hit the car in front of her that has slowed down or stopped.
We are very gentle on ours TRYING to avoid pulsing and while the pads are plenty thick the pulsing comes back after 20-30k miles. I have zero issues with brakes and my other two cars. My BMW brakes are bulletproof and you can abuse them intentionally with no ill effects. The Pilot brakes are pure trash; normal CONSERVATIVE street driving exposes their issues - not even stop and go. 5 minutes to the church preschool and back by my wife who is a 5-10 under the speed limit person. When you have as many people complaining about them as there are here - you screwed up on the engineering. VCM and terrible brakes. Honda messed up just like they did on my lawn mower drive shaft bushing design. No car or company is perfect.

·
Administrator
4,849 Posts
We are very gentle on ours TRYING to avoid pulsing and while the pads are plenty thick the pulsing comes back after 20-30k miles. I have zero issues with brakes and my other two cars. My BMW brakes are bulletproof and you can abuse them intentionally with no ill effects. The Pilot brakes are pure trash; normal CONSERVATIVE street driving exposes their issues - not even stop and go. 5 minutes to the church preschool and back by my wife who is a 5-10 under the speed limit person. When you have as many people complaining about them as there are here - you screwed up on the engineering. VCM and terrible brakes. Honda messed up just like they did on my lawn mower drive shaft bushing design. No car or company is perfect.
Yeah, only 484 posts on warped rotors. Search results for query: warped rotors

·
Registered
306 Posts
May not be applicable, but who is saying the rotors need replacing? I've seen dealers recommend total brake overhaul (new pads, rotors, sometimes even calipers) when a car has +50% pad life remaining and rotors that are totally within spec. Helps their bottom line, but not ours. On my Gen1, I'm at 130K on original rotors without machining in two pad changes - car brakes fine. I use Honda OEM parts for brakes - way too many issues with many different makes using aftermarket brake parts.

- Mark

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yeah, only 484 posts on warped rotors. Search results for query: warped rotors
Ok, well I’ve been unable to do anything to them on my car despite it being far from gingerly driven, plus half those posts were different cars than mine or using aftermarket stuff on a car that’s actually driven hard. Doesn’t change the fact that the Pilot brakes are a joke. They stop fine but don’t hold up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello,
This might be a dumb question, but are u torquing the lug nuts to the proper ft lbs?
Tightening them down way too hard can make u go through rotors quickly....just a thought.
Because that seems like your replacing rotors way too quick. I just changed my front ones @ 312,000 miles.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hello,
This might be a dumb question, but are u torquing the lug nuts to the proper ft lbs?
Tightening them down way too hard can make u go through rotors quickly....just a thought.
Because that seems like your replacing rotors way too quick. I just changed my front ones @ 312,000 miles.
Yep. Always use a torque wrench and go back and forth for the pattern. The issue is pad deposits anyway. I think the right pad material would be fine. I just don’t know of anybody making a good pad.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
OP is a one-post user as of today. Lots of questions related to driving habits can point to a cause. The forum discussions are best when interactive, so maybe WifeDrivesTheHonda should come back and participate, and maybe answer some of the related questions that members ask to help with the diagnosis.

dr bob's question to the OP: what does the info>trip computer display show for average fuel economy the last three fill-ups? Mine shows that in "history of trip A". I'm a feather-foot driver, with predominantly in-town miles. Our "parkway" has a 45 limit in town, 55 and 65 available between towns. Most Pilot miles are winter, and we don't drive much these days thanks to Covid-19. The last three fill-ups are for miles spanning February to August, a total of about six months of driving. My average fuel economy shows 21.6 on the display among the three stored readings available. I have 55k or so showing, and have more than half of the original pad thickness remaining last time I looked (last fall with tire replacement). In my experience, fuel consumption is the canary in the coal mine for lots of things like tire, brake and transmission life predictions. I also know that I can't affect others' driving habits much once they "learn" their own. I instruct HPDE's, used to teach skiing, and for both the majority of the effort is invested in unlearning poor habits. The fastest way around the track or down the hill usually involves a minimum of driver or skier inputs. Pick your lines and do just enough to get around the obstructions, be they corners, moguls, or others working too hard at it. Drive like you have raw eggs in your shoes. Gentlest pressure on pedals and steering. Keep engine RPM's as low as possible.

So what are those mileage numbers?

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I don’t purchase a car to drive it as gentle as possible or never rev it over a certain RPM. The whole point of buying a Honda is that’s it’s able to be used as a car should with minimal maintenance and expensive repairs.
Brakes regardless of your driving habits probably shouldn’t be going out at 27,000 miles. Something isn’t right. It’s like tread life and gas mileage. Everyone will brag about their experiences but there are so many factors, it doesn’t mean anything.

I drive pretty aggressively (I live in a city with nutty drivers) and I have no desire to change. I average 17 mpg which I don’t think is too bad. The 2013 gets about 18 mpg. The 2013 has gone through a few sets of pads and 1 set of front rotors. The 2008 has had rotors replaced several times. The brakes on these SUVs are insufficient but there isn’t much to do about it. Thankfully I can do all 4 sides for less than $300

1 - 20 of 34 Posts