Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for a new vehicle as we are expecting our 3rd child and the Accord isn't going to cut it any longer. I love Honda's and really like the Pilots. I was looking at 2013 Pilot with 95K miles on it. I test drove it, slept on it and then went back to the dealership where they were going to let me take it overnight and get it checked out by my mechanic. When I got there, the sales guy pulled out 3 pages of paperwork worth of repairs they had completed to it. Replacing 2 or 3 piston rings. ~ $3k worth of work. The person who traded it in because the engine was running rough. This lead me to research the issue and leading me to this site. I've read a number of posts but am on the fence on what the prudent thing to do is here.

My mechanic tested it for codes and it coded for powertrain failure. Does this mean they didn't clear the code?

If this issue has just been fixed, how likely will it recur? Is it likely the dealership cut corners and did the minimum they could to sell it? Should I look for a different Pilot or do they all have this?

Other relevant info:
Timing belt has not been done.
Priced aggressively below KBB.

Should I simply move on?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,043 Posts
I’d pass. It sounds like you’re already unsure if this would be a good purchase decision. Trust your instincts. There are lots of good used Pilots out there; this does not appear to be one of them.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Im with road2cycle on this one , With the addition on the way you need something without a headache.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Only way I'd consider is with 2 things:

-Get the timing belt done in the deal
-Get the deal at least $5k below what others in the area are going for

This would give me a confidence level that if it does break, I have enough room to fix it because of the deal I got.

If the dealer won't go for that, I'd walk. This has to be a perfect deal, no room to negotiate.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Only way I'd consider is with 2 things:

-Get the timing belt done in the deal
-Get the deal at least $5k below what others in the area are going for

This would give me a confidence level that if it does break, I have enough room to fix it because of the deal I got.

If the dealer won't go for that, I'd walk. This has to be a perfect deal, no room to negotiate.
Next time I buy a Pilot I need you to be the negotiator :)

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Next time I buy a Pilot I need you to be the negotiator :)
Given the risk with this purchase that's the only way I personally would consider it.

I actually detest the buying process, I don't get any feeling of satisfaction arguing with people over what's fair and all of the tactics they pull. I try to figure out what the fair price is for what I want, do a quick in person meet/test drive and let the rest be handled via text/phone calls/email as I live my life. I try to be realistic and I always know there will be people who get better deals, I don't worry about that. I cannot stand being in a dealership for 5 hours to purchase a damn car. /rant

·
Registered
258 Posts
First thing: the piston rings needed to be replaced for some reason: if you decide to buy, get that explained in writing.
Second thing: piston rings should only be replaced as a set for all six cylinders, not just “2 or 3”.
Third thing: All cylinder walls need have ridges reamed, honed and cross-hatched when rings are replaced.
Fourth thing: bearings on crank and piston rods need to be inspected, plastic-gauged and replaced if not within tolerance or scored.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
buy a Toyota

·
Registered
63 Posts
Given the risk with this purchase that's the only way I personally would consider it.

I actually detest the buying process, I don't get any feeling of satisfaction arguing with people over what's fair and all of the tactics they pull. I try to figure out what the fair price is for what I want, do a quick in person meet/test drive and let the rest be handled via text/phone calls/email as I live my life. I try to be realistic and I always know there will be people who get better deals, I don't worry about that. I cannot stand being in a dealership for 5 hours to purchase a damn car. /rant
I used a buying service when we bought my wife's 2018 CR-V. IIRC, it was the NRA's buying service (True Car), but many organizations have them. In checking the Internet on new 2018 CR-Vs, I got I found the KBB Fair Price cost. The price through the buying service was right in line with the the information I found. So, by contacting the dealer on the website, that put us in touch with the Internet salesman and also specified the price for the vehicle. Hence, when we went to the dealer, there was no hassle about the price. I did have them remove the cost for whatever the paint protection application was they had added to the car. It required a yearly maintenance by the dealer. The dealer had also included Honda all-weather floor mats, front and rear, and a Honda cargo mat, which we did not delete as I would have bought them anyway. I also had the cargo cover installed and I don't recall if that was standard or a dealer add-on, but again, I would have gotten it anyway.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I suppose this might be worth taking a risk on for the right price, but I'd pass. The dealer didn't do the repairs because they're interested in your well being; they did it because they had to to get the car out the door. As such, I bet they cut every corner in the book to do the work as cheaply and quickly as possible.

If the car had a tens of trouble-free miles put on it since repair, I'd tend to be more forgiving, but you're really taking a risk buying a car that has had this degree of surgery just prior to your buying.

- Mark

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
it's been 4 days since the OP posted guess they made a choice?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts