Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wife has a 2013 Pilot Touring. Last weekend, when I drive it, I noticed a creaking sound coming from the front on uneven pavement or turning. Put it up on the jack today and didn’t notice anything damaged or play anywhere on the suspension, but the passengers side strut boot is cut open and looks like the rubber bushing inside is cracked into pieces. I
was thinking of doing the work myself, but just noticed the OEM assembly for the 2012 above is discontinued. Any suggestions on replacements?
Thanks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am in the same boat. The aftermarket are the same pricing as oem and generally not as good. I have heard some negatives from people with KYB's on their pilot but our choices are limited I guess. I have found Gabriel, KYB and Monroe.

·
Registered
9,742 Posts
Wife has a 2013 Pilot Touring. Last weekend, when I drive it, I noticed a creaking sound coming from the front on uneven pavement or turning. Put it up on the jack today and didn’t notice anything damaged or play anywhere on the suspension, but the passengers side strut boot is cut open and looks like the rubber bushing inside is cracked into pieces. I
was thinking of doing the work myself, but just noticed the OEM assembly for the 2012 above is discontinued. Any suggestions on replacements?
While the complete strut assembly appears to be discontinued, it seems that all of the individual pieces are still available.
The complete assembly includes new springs, which you may not need.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The creaking sound is likely the anti-roll bar bushings and maybe the links. Disconnect the links and see if the noise stops. The bushings can sometimes be lubricated for shorter-term relief but aren't particularly difficult to replace if needed. The links tend to grind and often show obvious play as they wear. Again, not at all difficult to replace.

The other popular source of creaking is the top strut mount and bearing. Will come with a new assembly of course.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2009 EX-L RES
18 Posts
The creaking sound is likely the anti-roll bar bushings and maybe the links. Disconnect the links and see if the noise stops. The bushings can sometimes be lubricated for shorter-term relief but aren't particularly difficult to replace if needed. The links tend to grind and often show obvious play as they wear. Again, not at all difficult to replace.

The other popular source of creaking is the top strut mount and bearing. Will come with a new assembly of course.
When I replaced the struts on my 09, I just bought the KYB struts as well as strut mounts and boots all separately and transferred them using my original springs. It was definitely more time consuming but I rented the spring compressor at O Reilly’s and switched everything out in an afternoon. Rides quite nice now!

·
Registered
111 Posts
If the boots are cracked on the struts, then you need to replace the struts, or at least the shocks. I installed Gabriel strut kits on my '12 last month. I got them from Rock Auto. I am happy with them, though you'll need to clock them to get the upper strut mount bolts in the correct position. A cheaper set that I installed in my '03 in January came clocked. Or maybe I got lucky.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I went ahead yesterday and ordered the front left strut assembly and the front right parts from my local Honda dealer. He said the front right spring is on backorder with no eta. I want to get these before they are also discontinued lol. The right side cost me about a $100 more than the assembly but I feel much better going with OEM for the price.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts