Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am interested in knowing, and I apologize if this question has been answered before, I did look the first couple pages and didn't see it, is it possible to add in the Nav system to a 2013 LX? Or has anyone heard of a way to use your phone's nav through the display screen in the dash?

And if adding in the Nav system is possible, how does one do it? As in what specifically do I need?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Post a pic of your center console. There are aftermarket interfaces that could take care of that using Android Auto and/or phone mirroring.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
744 Posts
Factory NAV system? Not really. Too many other components/wiring/etc involved.

One supposedly easy and non-invasive method is Navtool
It is something that connects between the audio unit and the display. Not sure if it offers Android Auto, though. And Apple Carplay, you get no touchscreen, all controls is via wheel-mounted remote.

I am not sure if on LX, you have climate readouts above the audio. If you do, those go through the audio unit, so removing OEM audio is kinda impossible.
What can be done instead is replace the display itself with an aftermarket head, but that is a VERY invasive procedure that involves lots of know-how and being good with tools.

Here is my overhaul thread: Pilot 2013 EX Audio overhaul.
Vehicle Car Center console Vehicle audio Satellite radio
I removed the display, modded its housing and installed an Alpine ILX-207 in there. OEM audio is still in place and technically can be used (it hooks into AUX on Alpine), but I never need it.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Trying to retrofit the factory alpine nav unit to the EX is not anywhere close to a realistic option. Search on Navtools to find an aftermarket interface for your phone to display on the console screen. Lots of info here in the forums on what's involved. There may be some Carplay options if you have IOS devices.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
You would be far better functionally and financially to grab a small tablet and use google maps.

·
Registered
71 Posts
There are interfaces from NAVIKS (smartphone mirroring * I don't recommend*) NAVIKS also has an Android Auto/Apple Carplay interface. NavTool (Very bad customer service) Android Auto/Apple Carplay/smartphone mirroring interface or just smartphone mirroring interface. I currently have the Navtool AA/Carplay/smartphone mirroring interface in my 2013 Pilot Touring with full Navigation and RSE.

The Naviks smartphone mirroring interface is not in HD which is why I don't recommend it.

Naviks' AA/CP interface, approximately $325+/-

·
Registered
2 Posts
You would be far better functionally and financially to grab a small tablet and use google maps.
Please give some details. My 2012 I gave to my son a few years ago is now being returned to me in swap for my 2017. He is the one who keeps expanding his family which wonderful kids. I depend on Google Maps even when driving internationally. Do I link one of my Samsung tablets to my Android phone which has Google Maps?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Here's one I grabbed from the web, it's functionally identical.
View attachment 135306
Okay, Possible solution. Simple but slightly messy solution from a former 2013 Pilot Touring owner but the concept should be the same. Get a tablet that is small enough to sit in front of the radio display. Procure a long USB cable for the device that will run from the console USB device port to the tablet. Set the table up in front of the radio display so you can see it and plug it into the console. If you want the tablet audio to go thru the radio system than switch to the USB/Aux setting. You will loose radio function since Honda did not see fit to add bluetooth capabilities to tables, just phones, but if you put music on the tablet you can play it through the system as well.

Not the best option, but one that should work.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
I use Ipads and iphones with google maps downloaded for use in offline mode both here in North America and in Europe. Offline is key in Europe as US cell phone carriers overcharge in Europe. There aren't many areas of the US without cell phone coverage. I've found a few in remote areas of New England and down in the deserts of the southwest. Sure you don't get traffic alerts when offline, but with no cell phone coverage, I doubt you have much traffic.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Most of the above is quite kludgy. A tablet stuck in front of the display will interfere with backup camera. Tablet also would have to use the WiFi hotspot capability of phone to do its stuff and many carriers limit data on that. Also, if tablet is using AUX, that might interfere with using your phone for handsfree calls. Getting a good mount for your phone would be a better solution than messing with tablets.

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Oh I can't disagree. Personally I never used a tablet for navigation, just my phone when needed on the 2013 Pilot. I did test the theory with my iPad but put it down on the console. I wanted to see how google maps compared to the Honda map system compared.

Using the Auxiliary will not interfere with bluetooth enabled phone calls. The call will however lower the volume of the Auxiliary device while the call is in progress.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Waze, Google Navigation and/or Apple maps are far more superior than the built in navigation. The map updates are expensive and far and few between where as the apps are updated quite often

·
Administrator
4,845 Posts
Not bad on the new vehicles. My 2020 Passport nav system is the Garmin system, free updates for 5 years.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Hello, I am interested in knowing, and I apologize if this question has been answered before, I did look the first couple pages and didn't see it, is it possible to add in the Nav system to a 2013 LX? Or has anyone heard of a way to use your phone's nav through the display screen in the dash?

And if adding in the Nav system is possible, how does one do it? As in what specifically do I need?
Even if possible - it's not worth the hassle. We have it on our Touring and 99% of the time I use my phone with... you guessed it - Google Maps. It's just better.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Can't answer your question but if you want something to help you navigate use your cell phone. If you want a bigger screen get a tablet. I have a nav system in a 2015 Pilot Touring and I still have to use a 10 year old Garmin when I am going somewhere out side of a city or not traveling the interstate. I could also use my cell but I have the Garmin so I use it.

·
Registered
61 Posts

it is possible!!
but you will need service manual or at least the Electrical Troubleshooting manual to do it properly
then when buying the parts you need make sure they give you the connectors with pigtails
if you don't get it with pigtails then it's no use in getting it

·
Registered
744 Posts
Seriously, there is a massive difference. Nav system does not include an amp, and relies on having an external amplifier module, for starters. A number of other modules are different. Handsfree and ANC are handled differently. Wiring harnesses are different. MICU is different. Climate controls are different. Gauge module is different. Underhood fuse boxes are different. Yes, it is "possible", but it will require disassembling half the car and replacing a couple thousand dollars worth of components. Might be an interesting project to tackle if one can get hold of a totalled Touring/EXL with Nav to rip for parts, but all for what? To get a decidedly last-gen outdated Nav system that requires annually a rather expensive DVD from the dealer to keep remotely up-to-date?

Putting in an aftermarket head with a touch screen and proper Android Auto/Apple Carplay support, paired to a quality aftermarket amp, is going to be incredibly easier, cheaper and more rewarding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Seriously, there is a massive difference. Nav system does not include an amp, and relies on having an external amplifier module, for starters. A number of other modules are different. Handsfree and ANC are handled differently. Wiring harnesses are different. MICU is different. Climate controls are different. Gauge module is different. Underhood fuse boxes are different. Yes, it is "possible", but it will require disassembling half the car and replacing a couple thousand dollars worth of components. Might be an interesting project to tackle if one can get hold of a totalled Touring/EXL with Nav to rip for parts, but all for what? To get a decidedly last-gen outdated Nav system that requires annually a rather expensive DVD from the dealer to keep remotely up-to-date?

Putting in an aftermarket head with a touch screen and proper Android Auto/Apple Carplay support, paired to a quality aftermarket amp, is going to be incredibly easier, cheaper and more rewarding.
not entirely accurate...

·
Registered
61 Posts

here is the rear of a 2013 pilot navi touring 4wd 10-speaker receiver
there are about 4 or 5 versions of honda pilot receivers

1 - 20 of 23 Posts