Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping to get some help on what’s going on with my Pilot.

2013 Honda Pilot touring 2wd
120,000 miles

I’ve done the oil changes and transmission fluid changes. Have not changed any belts or those things.After shutting off the engine, I’m getting a grinding sound. Please watch the video below if you have a moment. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 191,000 miles
249 Posts
It doesn’t sound like grinding, but like air pressure being relieved. I heard your AC compressor kick on when you started it up. Maybe it’s your ac lines bleeding pressure after you shut it down? Try turning your ac off and doing the same thing, see if it changes anything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It doesn’t sound like grinding, but like air pressure being relieved. I heard your AC compressor kick on when you started it up. Maybe it’s your ac lines bleeding pressure after you shut it down? Try turning your ac off and doing the same thing, see if it changes anything.
Thank you for the feedback. Here is another video without the AC going. I didn’t have my helper so I propped my phone. I’m wondering if it might be a pulley or something with the belt system.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well it does look like the pulley is shifting back and forth when you shut it off, but idk if that will cause any damage long term. But it does sound eery. And I don’t think that’s a pulley problem, or a belt drive problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Check your power steering fluid level. The pump sounds a bit noisy. If it’s dry it might be jumping back and forth because there is no fluid pressure? Just a thought.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I believe it's air being pushed back through the intake when the throttle valve snaps shut at engine switch off, and the engine does that slight backwards rotation (seen in your video). Mine occasionally does that (exhale noise). It also seems less pronounced after cleaning the throttle plate and body (wider gap?). Maybe there's a Honda mechanic that can speak to this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I believe it's air being pushed back through the intake when the throttle valve snaps shut at engine switch off, and the engine does that slight backwards rotation (seen in your video). Mine occasionally does that (exhale noise). It also seems less pronounced after cleaning the throttle plate and body (wider gap?). Maybe there's a Honda mechanic that can speak to this.
Well it’s happening at idle, so the throttle body is shut with the idle air control regulating the air passing through. Honestly I think it’s just compression in whichever cylinder is on the compression stroke Which is causing the kick back. Is there an auto decompression valve on these motors? That are made to decompress whatever pressures are still there during shutoff? If so I’d guess that is what is causing your issue.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Don't think the 2009 and later have a separate IAC---they are throttle by wire and idle controlled by main throttle plate. This J35 has variable valve timing, I believe, and could to do a Atkinson or Miller cycle mode on shutdown, but no idea if that's a thing with this engine. Any gearheads know?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Does it happen at all if you rev the engine up and quickly and let off the throttle? It seems like it could be the alternator overrun pulley. Effectively this a pulley with a built in sprag clutch allows the alternator to spin faster than the engine. It sounds like the alternator maybe still spinning down after the engine stops. The alternator pulley only spins when there is a difference in speed between the engine / belt speed and the alternator input shaft. So at shut down, you'd see the engine stop and the alternator still spinning briefly. The same thing happens on large RPM changes while the engine is running. If the clutch or bearing in that pulley have a problem I could easily see it causing this exact issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the same problem , did anyone find a fix for this ... the dealer says it's normal.... it doesn't sound normal to me. I have a 2015 with the same issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally made it to the dealership today. They said alternator bearing was shot and needed a new alternator. That should fix that shut off noise and a random “diesel” sound I was hearing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts