Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our rear lift-gate stays failed on Monday. The OEM parts were ~$96 from the dealer for the left and right pair (they are special order and took 1 business day to receive). The replacement was done by me and only took 5 minutes. I used a ladder to prop up the lift-gate to the max height. Then used a small flat head screwdriver to pry out the stay head clips and the stays pop right off and new ones slip right on. The new stays came pre-greased from Honda.

Our 2013 Pilot had ~72K miles when they failed. Our Pilot has the lift-gate assist. The indicator of the failure was leaky grease/fluid from the stays themselves dripping down the inside of the tailgate and of course the lift-gate not staying up.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Mine are still OK, but aren't as lively as they were when new. For sure, serious cold weather seems to reduce their capability a bit. Marginal at the end of winter, OK through summer, marginal again as the cold returns. I'm not quite ready to replace them, but will likely do so in the next year Just Because. My driveway slopes towards the garage, with about six feet of uphill apron by the door to manage drainage. With the car parked on the up-slope away from the garage door, the hatch is now just low enough to brush my head (at 5-11). When that "brush" turns into a "bump", new lift cylinders will go on. If I manually push up on the gate, it will go up an inch or maybe two, then settles back.

This is on our 2013 Touring, now seven years old, with the power lift gate.

Reactions: bcarpenter
1 - 2 of 2 Posts