Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the rear driver side cargo window replaced; this is the small square shaped window. The window is tinted and is the right size but it does not have the 2-3 horizontal & vertical lines embedded in the window. Can anyone verify if the driver side window originally came with these lines? Also, does anyone know what these lines are used for? I was thinking they were to defrost but there is no electric connection to the glass.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The horizontal and vertical lines in the glass are the antennas for the radio and I have them on both windows in my 2015 Touring. You will notice that there is no radio masts on vehicles anymore.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
That's correct. 2013 has them. You will want the correct window and connections if you plan to use your broadcast receiver outside of major metro areas.

The geeky stuff: The two window antennas work together via a dedicated controller. Controller continuously adjusts a phase difference between the two for best net signal. The system is commonly known as a "diversity" system, totally unrelated to the more popular application of that term really. It gets rid of the mast, something that's noisy when driving, affects gas mileage in a tiny way, and is considered unsightly by many.

·
Registered
2015 EXL AWD Gray ext Black int
25 Posts
This is weird - my 15 EX-L also does NOT have this antenna in the drivers side cargo window, only the passenger side. Is it possible that you only get two (one in each side cargo window) on the touring trim? My radio reception seems fine, and the window has the Honda symbol on it. I bought it used and it did came with extensive maintenance records that did not mention a replacement window but obviously that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Cruising Honda's parts catalog, there's no distinction among the various trim levels for the left rear quarter glass. EX to Touring take the same one. It's about $500 list for that gem, so it should probably have slightly more than a wire coat-hanger stuck to the inside with chewing gum. College Hills Honda shows it discounted to about $400, but still that's a lot for "just" a piece of tinted glass.

Also went out and peeled the cover and sunshade to look at mine (2013 Touring). It definitely has the antenna elements on both rear quarter windows.

Was the replacement glass represented to be Genuine Honda? PN is shown as 73510-SZA-A10. Check your invoice...

Tangent -- On another car in the group, once in a while somebody in the user group locks their keys in the car out on the road someplace and asks which glass to sacrifice. The rear quarter and side door windows are crazy-expensive, and leave a huge mess when broken. The windshield is safety glass so doesn't shatter to the same mess, and is merely stupid-expensive. Making a choice among windows to sacrifice, I'd much rather have a new windshield for the lower $$, plus not be picking broken glass out of the door or luggage area for the next nn years.

Note that the left rear door quarter glass, the small non-movable panel at the rear of the side door, is a a mere $225 list $175 sell. The right side version isn't available from Honda any more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
d bob, thanks for the info. The body shop said it was original honda based off the vin. The body shop also said they had to order from japan which took 6 weeks to arrive. I will be calling them back tomorrow morning. I also did some investagating on my own calling different honda dearships taking to the guys in the parts department and no one knew what the lines were for, one guy said it was to defrost the window. I also got different part numbers from each dealership i called.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
From Japan...? I call BS on them. Pilots are built in Alabama, with glass from US suppliers.

Wander out to a preowned gen 2.5 2012-2015 on their used lot and see what's fitted. I'm on a tablet so no easy access to the FSM to get the full description of the glass and antenna. I did notice some antenna-related stuff. Might take a little more research to see if the antenna is a separate part, maybe a decal or sticker or something that needs to be added to a relatively generic glass. More tomorrow when I have more tools handy.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Take a look at the "antenna for 2013...) sheet here: Antenna for 2013 Honda PILOT 5-DOOR | College Hills Honda Parts

Look at items 3 and 18, called "antenna unit, glass" for right and left sides, respectively. These sit just below the window openings on either side, and include the socket for the plug that's part of the antenna strips on the glass. There's no separate listing for the antenna wires on the glass.

Know that the glass is held in using a urethane adhesive only. Removing the old glass requires the interior quarter panel to come out to disconnect the antenna wires. Less meticulous body/glass shops will remove the glass using a tool with wire between two handles, pulling the tool wire through the adhesive to cut it. That cuts the antenna wires in the process if they aren't disconnected first.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got a call back from the body shop, they confirmed that the wrong part number was ordered and installed. They reordered the correct part number and will let me know when to bring the car back. Is there any way to verify that the antenna wire is installed correctly after I get the car back?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I can't think of any, short of pulling that interior panel and looking, or watching them do it. There's no HDS trouble code that could be an indicator. (or you would have seen it already anyway...) I suspect that your questioning, the rework they are doing, and your known sensitivity should be enough.

I'm a curious guy who likes to find how things work, and might ask to have them let you watch when they replace the glass. It's typically a driveway replacement, with spacers/shims and tape to hold it in place while the adhesive sets up. The car needs to sit for an hour or so depending on temperature, so work with them to get your schedule coordinated. Doing it in the driveway means no insurance issues. Many shops farm out glass work anyway so it might never be back inside their workbay anyway. Better more stable cure time if they do it in -your- driveway. I'm sure you can work it out with them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea about asking to watch. I did not consider sitting time, this is a good point since I will most likly have to bring the car to them and wait for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After a long back and forth with the body shop it was determined that the "antenna unit, glass" is on both driver and passenger sides on models with navigation. So because my 2013 EX-L does not have navigation the "antenna unit, glass" will only be on the passenger cargo window.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
There is no one-side-only option for the diversity antenna system. It's for the AM/FM broadcast radio only. The GPS (navigation) antenna is in the top of the dashboard. Sirius/XM antenna is a bubble on the rear roof center, forward of the CHMSL.

Your body shop is trying to bull-wink you.

Reactions: Sha93
1 - 14 of 14 Posts