Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Pilot Touring
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been attempting to identify the source of this noise on my 2013 pilot with just over 100k miles. If you listen to the noise (link below) its not the typical loud V6 noise I am concerned about, its the off cadence / irregular noise you hear in the background, a mild grinding or rubbing noise. This occurs or is more noticeable when the engine is cold / first started. After driving and reaching normal operating temp, I dont hear it any longer.

The audio / video was taken in the passenger front wheel well. As stated it has ~ 100k miles and the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, idler pullies were all replaced at about 90k with Genuine Honda OEM parts. I have popped off the serpentine belt and the noise still exists. Any ideas where to go next?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I have been attempting to identify the source of this noise on my 2013 pilot with just over 100k miles. If you listen to the noise (link below) its not the typical loud V6 noise I am concerned about, its the off cadence / irregular noise you hear in the background, a mild grinding or rubbing noise. This occurs or is more noticeable when the engine is cold / first started. After driving and reaching normal operating temp, I dont hear it any longer.

The audio / video was taken in the passenger front wheel well. As stated it has ~ 100k miles and the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, idler pullies were all replaced at about 90k with Genuine Honda OEM parts. I have popped off the serpentine belt and the noise still exists. Any ideas where to go next?

It's not real clear by the video, but the one thing that worries me most when I hear a sound like this is that the coolant is low and the water pump is cavitating.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Good idea by NG. Verify that... but assuming that’s fine I’d have it towed to whomever did your timing belt job. If Honda did it you could still be under warranty. The last thing you want is that stuff coming apart so I wouldn’t risk driving it. As much as I’d like to believe the Honda OEM parts are of excellent quality there have been way too many who have tensioner failures way early. Mine was leaking and going bad with only 65k miles. If they did not replace the idler bearings those could be toast as well, though probably more likely to be coming loose than bad.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
The last thing you want is that stuff coming apart so I wouldn’t risk driving it. As much as I’d like to believe the Honda OEM parts are of excellent quality there have been way too many who have tensioner failures way early.
Even more so a concern if this was a DIY TB WP job and those supposed "Genuine Honda Parts" were bought online, like from Ebay. There are some really bad fake looking OEM parts being sold there at very enticing prices.

Reactions: briantii
1 - 5 of 5 Posts