Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! My girlfriend’s 2013 pilot started acting very strange. First, the VTM-4 light was on even though it hadn’t been engaged and would not turn off. Then the battery light, ABS, and Traction Control lights turned on. The car was jumpy while in gear and the computer/electronics in the car would reboot while driving. Next, the reverse gear completely went out. It also would rev when the headlights would turn on at idle, totally don’t understand that. The battery may be getting old, but I’ve never seen a worn out battery do something this strange, and it doesn’t have a problem starting. The terminals on the battery are also fine. Anyone have any ideas? It’s almost funny how weird this issue is. Bad ECU maybe? Also, no buttons on the door panels work (like the windows).

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
How old is the battery?
Battery needs to be tested.
Test the alternator.
Inspect negative terminal/cable down to the chassis. Un-tighten and re-tighten the bolt. Clean corrosion if any.
There is also a grounding strap between the transmission and chassis. Inspect clean conections, replace if corrosion is an issue.
There is another between the engine and chassis.
Replace bad fuses. I'd go through all the fuse boxes, pulling out, inspecting and inserting them one by one. This can reconnect any corroded fuse.
What is the condition of the transmission fluid? If it is discovered that it has not been changed, I'd do 2 to 3 drain and fills (driving a few miles in between), with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF ($18 a gallon at Wal-Mart). Hopefully this will fix any sticking shift solenoids caused by the old non synthetic Honda DW-1 ATF.
Has the transfer case and differential fluids been replaced (Honda fluids only).
The kind of problems this vehicle is experiencing can be solved by eliminating possibilities one by one. Starting with good maintenance.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
How old is the battery?
Battery needs to be tested.
Test the alternator.
Inspect negative terminal/cable down to the chassis. Un-tighten and re-tighten the bolt. Clean corrosion if any.
There is also a grounding strap between the transmission and chassis. Inspect clean conections, replace if corrosion is an issue.
There is another between the engine and chassis.
Replace bad fuses. I'd go through all the fuse boxes, pulling out, inspecting and inserting them one by one. This can reconnect any corroded fuse.
What is the condition of the transmission fluid? If it is discovered that it has not been changed, I'd do 2 to 3 drain and fills (driving a few miles in between), with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF ($18 a gallon at Wal-Mart). Hopefully this will fix any sticking shift solenoids caused by the old non synthetic Honda DW-1 ATF.
Has the transfer case and differential fluids been replaced (Honda fluids only).
The kind of problems this vehicle is experiencing can be solved by eliminating possibilities one by one. Starting with good maintenance.
NG all good advice, hopefully one of these cures it, unlike Gen 3 Pilots that seem to be trying to give GM a run for its crappy quality control money!

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
NG all good advice, hopefully one of these cures it, unlike Gen 3 Pilots that seem to be trying to give GM a run for its crappy quality control money!
Boyfriend fixes Girlfriends car = Hero status. 💪😁

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Hi! My girlfriend’s 2013 pilot started acting very strange. First, the VTM-4 light was on even though it hadn’t been engaged and would not turn off. Then the battery light, ABS, and Traction Control lights turned on. The car was jumpy while in gear and the computer/electronics in the car would reboot while driving. Next, the reverse gear completely went out. It also would rev when the headlights would turn on at idle, totally don’t understand that. The battery may be getting old, but I’ve never seen a worn out battery do something this strange, and it doesn’t have a problem starting. The terminals on the battery are also fine. Anyone have any ideas? It’s almost funny how weird this issue is. Bad ECU maybe? Also, no buttons on the door panels work (like the windows).
Sounds like a bad chassis ground or an intermittent connection creating noise on the data buss. More likely the former if the door controls don't work.

I'd try a jumper from the battery negative terminal to chassis ground. If that clears things up, you'll need to check and clean the real chassis grounding cable or replace it. Check and clean the connectors to the ECU. I'd get this fixed asap before there's permanent damage to sensitive electronics or a bag fires off. (not likely but why chance it?)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I agree with Nail Grease. I personally would start with the alternator 1st ? Is there a whinning sound that increases when the press the gas pedal when the vehicle is in park? All the items you describe are all signs of a bad alternator.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I agree with Nail Grease. I personally would start with the alternator 1st ? Is there a whinning sound that increases when the press the gas pedal when the vehicle is in park? All the items you describe are all signs of a bad alternator.
i agree a noisy alternator or glitchy diodes would cause havok in the electronic systems, but would it keep the door controls from working if the battery will start the car?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
i agree a noisy alternator or glitchy diodes would cause havok in the electronic systems, but would it keep the door controls from working if the battery will start the car?
If any power is getting to the window, it will usually work, or at least give indication that it's not a bad switch or fuse.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Go by one of the chain parts stores and ask them to print a list of failure codes from the car for you. The car has a bunch of pretty comprehensive On Board Diagnostics available, via the OBD port by driver's right knee and a code reader. The diagnostic codes list is the start of your quest. Dealers do this too and probably better, but the parts places usually do it for free in anticipation of your repair parts business.

Stupid-easy stuff:

-- Verify that the serpentine belt is intact and driving the accessories like alternator and PS pump. Easy to see at the right (passenger side on US cars) end of the engine.

-- If the battery is more than four years old, it's a suspect.

Lots of things set trouble codes, and a few are serious enough that they light up the dash like a Christmas tree when they happen. Some are simple like loose gas cap, others like misfire detected can get serious in a hurry. The car is telling you it's not happy. It screams at you via those dash lights, speaks to you via the OBD port and a code reader.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
holding my breath to see how this is resolved. Just bought a 2015 EXL to retire my 95 Bronco, advice given seems to be on target.
Yes, it be nice to get an update from the OP.
Many times we never hear what the final solution to the problem was.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Amen. It's way easy to overwhelm a visitor with an seriously extended list of diagnostic and other suggestions too. For us armchair experts, it's also nice to find out if we are anywhere near as good at this stuff as we like to think we are.

I'm wrestling with the idea of swapping in some new fluids today. I need to change the oil in the lift, so I think I can make it all one big mess-fest to start the new year. Still sitting at the computer and it's coming up on lunchtime. TV is on, bowl games starting, all conspiring against that for today. We'll see if I can graduate from armchair to crescent wrench and hammer by dinnertime.

Reactions: Nail Grease
1 - 12 of 12 Posts